New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

http://www.canonrumors.com/the-lexar-brand-has-been-purchased-by-chinese-company-longsys/

Good to see the Lexar brand will continue. Warranties will be honored. What future products will look like is of course still unknown. I hope they will continue to produce the best performing and best value memory cards like they currently do. It would sort of suck if only Sony produced XQD cards since there current ones (even with Lexar competition) are more expensive for identical or worse performance.

Sep 02, 2017 at 11:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

that's good because this is what you get going to the "Lexar" site.

http://www.lexar.com/

https://www.bing.com/search?q=longsys&form=EDGEAR&qs=PF&cvid=78eeb54b1f18414095bb233ef7d35a33&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AXXfrEiqqD9r3GuelwApulqy7fBcdnR0HeIUUVlUFqJ%21kxRaMnDCurBZkIsLoGKFopLzCInFeBknys0BznfZy5%21eY%21Lq16glZLPL371GK12V

I have both and really don't notice any real world difference between either that I use.

Sep 02, 2017 at 11:44 AM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

Weird - the only cards that ever failed me were Lexar cards. Won't ever buy them again. I've also read that Canon cameras do not like Lexmark cards. Could be one of those internet myths, but never had a problem with Sandisk cards, only Lexar cards. YYMMV

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I have only had issues with 2 sandisk SD cards (mechanical in nature). but then I pretty much exclusively used CF previous to XQD and now a smattering of SD. and that's from 1999 onward

Edited on Sep 03, 2017 at 07:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:06 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

My problems were with Lexar CF cards - never use SD cards.

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

different people, different cameras different issues.

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:40 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

Never a fan of Lexar - partly due their limited market. Lexar are harder to find and often more expensive. So Sandisk do me fine.

I'm guessing they'll lose some business going to a Chinese company. It will have a effect on the brand's reputation.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

maintain a level of consistent quality and design advancement and it won't make a difference. its not like where they are manufactured is any different.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I've used Lexar almost exclusively for the past 6 years. They have always seemed to win the performance tests for CF and XQD. They also were usually the most reasonably priced. I have also used Sandisk for UHS-1 SD and C-Fast. I've also used Transcend CF (only cards that have corrupted on me). Anyways, I've yet to have a problem with any Lexar or Sandisk card. My hope is Lexar keeps the pricing down on XQD and UHS-II SD where Sony and Sandisk have significantly higher prices and no better performance.

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:37 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I use Sandisk SD and Lexar CF and never had an issue with the cards. Except I have the Lexar Pro CF reader, and one day it decided it doesn't like the standard Intel USB 3.0 drivers I have on my computer. I have to pour a stiff drink while it takes its time going through a USB 2.0 port. Pain in the shooter, but you know what, it's okay, because after having said stiff drink, I don't care anymore!

Sep 02, 2017 at 10:25 PM
samgas

[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

It's good to see Lexar found a home. I believe that Micron was exiting the removable media segment because it is low-margin compared to the other products they sell.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

supposedly they will be at Photo+ in NYC in October

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:44 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

Longsys only bought the rights to the use of the name. Nothing else: "Longsys has acquired the Lexar trademark and will begin selling current and future products under the Lexar brand." -> http://www.lexar.com

Which was really smart on their part as most likely they will be selling cheaper cards, that previously everyone was afraid to buy on eBay, but this time with Lexar's name on it for much more $$$ 🙈

As long as cards won't fail too often, everything should be fine. Except, it will cost us more now...

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I expect they will sell cheap crap.

EBH

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

well, i will be speaking to them at Photo+ about what their plans are. remember Lexar designed and spec'd out their products just like Sandisk and others. one will see if the naysayers are correct.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I wonder it there will be way to determine the old cards from the Longsys stuff.

EBH

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:16 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

Lexar now owned by a Chinese firm. Oh well, so is Leica. But still it just doesn't seem right.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

It's not about who owns it but what flash memory and controllers will be used in the future Lexar products.

EBH

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

and that will determine their longevity. thus an interesting conversation will be had at Photo+

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:50 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lexar acquired by Longsys

I have nothing against eBay cards, as I bought CFast cards from eBay in the past.

What I'm afraid of is that Longsys will take advantage and sell cheaper cards for much more as these cards will carry Lexar brand stickers from now on.
Imagine having to pay more for Transcend, KomputerBay etc cards only because they put a Lexar sticker on them. Same card as before but with a different sticker and packaging for much more $. I understand that they have a right to do so, and most likely this is the reason why they bought the trademark, but at this point, I don't feel confident to pay premium for these cards whatever the reps at PhotoPlusExpo say. Think about it, reps will tell you whatever helps to sell their product. Have you heard a Canon, Nikon reps on the expo floor speaking negatively about their products?

Longsys acquired only the trademark, not the "recipe", factories, equipment, employees etc. Just the rights to use the Lexar's logo...

Personally, I will be buying SanDisk cards from now on...

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.