New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

snikt228
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I owned and used the FE 35 1.4 for maybe a year, I actually ended up selling it and "downgrading" to the FE 35 2.8. It did make great images for sure, no complaints about that.

I'm in the same boat, I'm just a hobbyist and I got tired of the weight/size especially for travel. The 35 2.8 is really a great little lens and I don't really find missing the faster speed too much. Also have the 55 1.8 that I can use when I want something faster.

I think the 16-35 f4 + 35 2.8 + 55 1.8 makes a great travel combo. Can cover a lot of range with the 16-35 + 55 1.8. At night or more casual situations on the trip you can just grab the 35 2.8 and the combo weights nothing and can almost fit in a jacket pocket.

Sep 12, 2017 at 03:29 PM
trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

snikt228 wrote:
I owned and used the FE 35 1.4 for maybe a year, I actually ended up selling it and "downgrading" to the FE 35 2.8. It did make great images for sure, no complaints about that.

I'm in the same boat, I'm just a hobbyist and I got tired of the weight/size especially for travel. The 35 2.8 is really a great little lens and I don't really find missing the faster speed too much. Also have the 55 1.8 that I can use when I want something faster.

I think the 16-35 f4 + 35 2.8 + 55 1.8 makes a
...Show more

Three of the best lenses for the FE system in terms of size relative to performance. Can't beat these 3 lenses in any other system

Sep 12, 2017 at 04:38 PM
pasblues
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Would you consider a Minolta Rokkor prime? A 24 or 28?

How often do you shoot at 1.4?

bloung wrote:
Hi all, I have this lens and love it with my A7rii, it really produces some amazing 3D images. However, being a hobbyist, and it being so damn big I find myself not looking forward to lugging this combo around. Is there anything out there that could give me some really good 3D type looking images close to this without the weight? I briefly owned a 35 loxia with the original a7 before this 1.4 lens came out, I suppose I could give it another shot..but for some reason it seemed soft to me.. But maybe I could give it
...Show more

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:03 PM
bloung
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

pasblues wrote:
Would you consider a Minolta Rokkor prime? A 24 or 28?

How often do you shoot at 1.4?

I do enjoy shooting at 1.4 quite a bit in low light, but i also stop down to f2 to 2.8 quite a bit for improved sharpness. Honestly I have a olympus OM 50mm that I never use, which is why I contend replacing the a7 with a rx1rii. The 35 f2.8 does seem plenty sharp however, and I can get it at a good price here on the forums.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:47 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I currently have a Pentax 31 limited on the A7rii. I also own(ed) a zm 35 1.4, CY 35 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, ZA 35 1.4, Rx1 and Mino 35 f2, Canon 35 f2 IS and shot briefly a Contax g 35 and now have sebboh's m 35 lux.

I have them ranked, but the 31 limited high up. It's light-ish, no filter needed, great build, not too large including adapter, priced moderately with gorgeous rendering. Everyone has their priorities and preferences, but I think the rendering is gorgeous WO. The lens has very nice spacial seperation at about 2-10 feet WO (3-D/atmospheric feel). Colors and tonality are especially pleasing and rich. Especially smooth bokeh and focus transions WO with a perfect bit of SA. There is fringing though. By 2.8 is pretty sharp and flat field everywhere with abrasions minimal. The only real pain is the focus throw is so quick I keep missing shots. It's hard even for someone who shoots and prefers MF. And the infinite is reached by twisted counter clockwise, like Nikon. It's also TAP-able as there's no floating element it seems.

And I too keep buying and selling RX1's.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

AGeoJO wrote:
That's exactly what I meant. If you work out and develop some muscles, the weight wouldn't matter much. The price? Well, you already have the lens anyway.

FYI, I recently sold my Leica-M 35mm Summilux FLE for lack of use.... That Sony does the job for me. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but I gladly put up with those parameters.

I have sufficient "muscle" as it were, but it's not the weight that I find annoying - that combination isn't really that heavy. It's just unwieldy. It shouldn't be so unpleasant to get that level of image quality on a small mirrorless camera like a Sony Alpha. If I wanted to carry a bulkier high-quality system, a Nikon D8xx with a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art would give me fabulous performance and terrific operational ergonomics at the same or lower cost.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:33 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

For my A9, I use the Leica Summilux 35 f/1.4 FLE with a TechArt Pro adapter. Very expensive solution, though you could probably get by with a pre-FLE version on the used market for around the same price as (or maybe slightly more than) the Sony lens. I haven't rigorously compared the image quality against the excellent Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, but I do love the look of the Leica bokeh, and with the TAP adapter and the right custom button configuration, using the lens in auto or manual focus mode on Sony cameras works pretty well.

My understanding is that the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 (M-mount) is an even better performer for less money, but I already had the Leica when I added a Sony camera to my kit, so I'm sticking with that. The portability and discreteness of this setup for travel and street shooting thoroughly disabuses me of any desire for the optically fast but bulky or optically slow Sony AF 35s. The setup is so light and fun to use that I basically take it everywhere - and that ends up mattering a lot more to me than just about anything else.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:41 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Arka wrote:
For my A9, I use the Leica Summilux 35 f/1.4 FLE with a TechArt Pro adapter. Very expensive solution, though you could probably get by with a pre-FLE version on the used market for around the same price as (or maybe slightly more than) the Sony lens. I haven't rigorously compared the image quality against the excellent Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, but I do love the look of the Leica bokeh, and with the TAP adapter and the right custom button configuration, using the lens in auto or manual focus mode on Sony cameras works pretty well.

My understanding is
...Show more

To get the most out of rangefinder lenses, a front end filter may be necessary. I am not saying that the Leica 35mm Summilux FLE would need it but my understanding is, the performance of the Zeiss 35mm ZM f/1.4 would improve with it. Since I sold my Leica FLE, I am now using 3 lenses that covers that focal length. In addition to the two Sony FE lenses, the f/1.4 for low light conditions and the f/2.8 for the light-weight and tiny size. I do have the first version of the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 and yes, I use it on the TAP as well. That f/1.2 lens is used to get that special rendition where I don't care about the corner performance. Don't get me wrong, the Leica FLE is a great lens and I used it a lot on my Leica-M body but somehow it got lost in the shuffle with my Sony mirrorless system. Just my experience and yours apparently may be different. Take care!

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Eoin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I've always liked the 35mm focal length, when I got my A7II I bought the compact FE 35 f/2.8 and was always happy with it's results. I was always surprised by the bad rep this lens attracted on various fora.

I experimented with the C/Y 35 f/1.4 and the FE 35 f/1.4 for lower light and more selective depth of field and to my eye they provide equally pleasant results and renderings. In the end the native mount FE f/1.4 won out due to the better integration.

My Leica Summilux 35 FLE on a tap adapter is also another option and works surprisingly well. But in all honesty I'm more impressed with it on it's own Leica M than trying to faf around with AF adapters for sub optimal results.

What I notice most is my own behaviour, I find when using the Sony system "out and about" I tend to choose the FE/2.8 most of the time when I know light is not going to be an issue. Around "home" or other places where I know I won't necessarily be carrying the camera the FE f/1.4 is always my choice.

I like them all and in all reality would be loth to part with any of them

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:47 PM
bloung
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I went to my local camera store and checkd out the 35 2.8 on my a7rii and held the rx1rii in my hands...I must say the 35 2.8 is pretty impressive for it's size. The images I took are acceptable to me in terms of sharpness, and it's size is great. I can see myself taking the camera everywhere with me.

The rx1rii is WOW as well. That thing is so compact, and it has the same sensor as my a7..unfortunately I couldn't take pics with it, but I am here at home thinking now about selling my a7 and getting that, or just picking up the 35 f2.8 Either way I'm going to sell my 35 f1.4, it's just not practical for what I do (people photography, taking it out and about on a date).

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:43 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password