New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

bloung
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Hi all, I have this lens and love it with my A7rii, it really produces some amazing 3D images. However, being a hobbyist, and it being so damn big I find myself not looking forward to lugging this combo around. Is there anything out there that could give me some really good 3D type looking images close to this without the weight? I briefly owned a 35 loxia with the original a7 before this 1.4 lens came out, I suppose I could give it another shot..but for some reason it seemed soft to me.. But maybe I could give it another go on the a7rii.. It didn't wow me thought I do remember.

How are the voigtlander lenses? I've been looking at some 35mm lenses that seem to give pretty decent performance considering the price. I typically shoot anything on my outings, and just generally like to have my camera with me to capture the day. The weight is the only thing that I do not like about the 35, but if you want the quality I suppose you gotta pay somehow...Thoughts? Recommendations?

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

My recommendation is for you to go the gym and develop some muscles . Just kidding, of course. Like you said though, that lens is superb in almost any aspect but the weight and bulk for what I photographed. However, for travel purposes, where it is less than serious photography, and when stopping down the lens is OK, the tiny and lightweight FE 35mm f/2.8 does the trick for me.

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:41 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Since you have A7R II, you could try ZM 35 Distagon with TAP adapter, much smaller than FE version of it. Another choice could be CV 35/1.2 II, nice bokeh, but IMHO behind the Zeiss. On the side note, just like your Loxia, my copy was much softer in center, than ZM 35 Biogon, but Loxia corners were great, compared.

Edited on Sep 02, 2017 at 03:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:55 PM
bloung
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

AGeoJO wrote:
My recommendation is for you to go the gym and develop some muscles . Just kidding, of course. Like you said though, that lens is superb in almost any aspect but the weight and bulk for what I photographed. However, for travel purposes, where it is less than serious photography, and when stopping down the lens is OK, the tiny and lightweight FE 35mm f/2.8 does the trick for me.

But I love that 1.4!! I know if comes with a price, albeit size or price.. (leica lenses).

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:55 PM
ytwong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

If Zeiss release a ZM 35/1.4 (or a Loxia ?) that perform well on Sony sensor, I'd certainly buy one. The ZM with a PCX lens is close but I don't want to adjust the lens for infinity focus (every Zeiss MF lens I have used has near perfect infinity focus so I don't want to screw that up).

The size of FE 35/1.4 keep me from pulling the trigger. I wounder if it's better to buy a RX1 instead. I actually want to use it for travel....for portraits AND night landscape (with a bit of stars).

Getting more muscle won't change airline baggage allowance!
Carrying and pointing a huge lens is not cool in my book, although many people would think the bigger the better (esp. in DSLR boards)

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:02 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

bloung wrote:
But I love that 1.4!! I know if comes with a price, albeit size or price.. (leica lenses).

That's exactly what I meant. If you work out and develop some muscles, the weight wouldn't matter much. The price? Well, you already have the lens anyway.

FYI, I recently sold my Leica-M 35mm Summilux FLE for lack of use.... That Sony does the job for me. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but I gladly put up with those parameters.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Good IQ, Fast, Compact. Pick any 2.
There is the new Samyang 35/1.4 on the horizon but it's not going to be any more lightweight than the Sony.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:06 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

Snopchenko wrote:
Good IQ, Fast, Compact. Pick any 2.
There is the new Samyang 35/1.4 on the horizon but it's not going to be any more lightweight than the Sony.

Leica 35 1.4

Good IQ: check
Fast: check
Compact: check

If price is not an issue, put that puppy onto TAP and you're done.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:38 PM
bloung
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

It is hard considering another lens when I look at the files on my macbook. The 3D pop is pretty spectacular...I doubt I can get that from the smaller voigtlander..maybe I can just buy it and see how I like it, and if it suits my needs..well who knows. The weight doesn't seem too bad when you see the results of that zeiss glass.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:45 PM
bloung
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

chez wrote:
Leica 35 1.4

Good IQ: check
Fast: check
Compact: check

If price is not an issue, put that puppy onto TAP and you're done.

I've been trying to research the sensor stack issue with these lenses...is it an issue on the a7rii?

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I find the CV 35/1.2 to be great even on the native A7ii sensor, and only slightly better on the Kolari modified A7. Haven't used it on an A7iir though. However it won't have the pop that a Zeiss lens affords. The trade-off is very pleasant bokeh though. If I want pop in a tiny package I use a ZM 35/2.8 on my modified A7, and if I want the best bokeh and colors I use the rather bulky and heavy ZF 35/1.4 classic on either body.

Edited on Sep 02, 2017 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:49 PM
bloung
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

AGeoJO wrote:
That's exactly what I meant. If you work out and develop some muscles, the weight wouldn't matter much. The price? Well, you already have the lens anyway.

FYI, I recently sold my Leica-M 35mm Summilux FLE for lack of use.... That Sony does the job for me. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but I gladly put up with those parameters.

You save quite a bit of cash as well with the sony over the leica..Leica lenses are beautiful though. I loved my q but got rid of it as I became bored with just 28mm FL (and no other viable options.)

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:49 PM
bloung
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

uscmatt99 wrote:
I find the CV 35/1.2 to be great even on the native A7ii sensor, and only slightly better on the Kolari modified A7. Haven't used it on an A7iir though. However it won't have the pop that a Zeiss lens affords. The trade-off is very pleasant bokeh though. If I want pop in a tiny package I use a ZM 35/2.8 on my modified A7, and if I want the best bokeh and colors I use the rather bulky and heavy ZF 35/1.4 classic on either body.

The 35 2.8 could be an option to add...it is pretty cheap used and with the a7rii high iso performance i can crak it up to compensate for the slower aperture.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:54 PM
tr0n

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

isnt there supposed to be a sigma 35mm 1.4 coming out for FE later this year or maybe next year?

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

CalBoy87 wrote:
Since you have A7R II, you could try ZM 35 Distagon with TAP adapter, much smaller than FE version of it. Another choice could be CV 35/1.2 II, nice bokeh, but IMHO behind the Zeiss. On the side note, just like your Loxia, my copy was much softer in center, than ZM 35 Biogon, but Loxia corners were great, compared.

The Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM is an amazing lens but once you add TAP (140g), it becomes only 100g lighter than the FE 35/1.4 ZA. I've used 35/1.4 ZM+TAP for almost a year and it can't really touch native AF especially when framing your subject away from the center area.

Adding a front-lens and adapter rings to it (to reduce FC) add another 25g. At that point, they weigh pretty much the same in hands.
The ZA version has smoother rendering compared to the ZM but the latter has slight higher micro-contrast, no bokeh onion rings and less LoCA.

A lighter combo with matching IQ and similar rendering is the RX1RII but that will cost you $$.

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:02 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

ytwong wrote:
If Zeiss release a ZM 35/1.4 (or a Loxia ?) that perform well on Sony sensor, I'd certainly buy one. The ZM with a PCX lens is close but I don't want to adjust the lens for infinity focus (every Zeiss MF lens I have used has near perfect infinity focus so I don't want to screw that up).

You can set a Hawks helicoid to infinity focus with a 35/1.4 ZM. I have mine pre-set to infinity focus my 35 ZM. If I use my 85/4 ZM or VC 15/4.5 III, I have to focus them manually.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:20 PM
MrTMan
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

I've got the 35/1.4 and use the Loxia 35 when I want to travel light. It's not razor sharp at large apertures, but personally I like the color, contrast and rendering, and it's perfectly fine when stopped down.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:53 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

If you are willing to manual focus, then I think the Zeiss C/Y 35 f/1.4 is another option to consider. It has very good micro contrast and fairly nice bokeh. I prefer the look of the C/Y lens, but that is quite subjective. You should be able to use the C/Y lens with TAP if you get a C/Y to M adapter, but I haven't seen anyone who has done that. The C/Y is not a small lens, but it 600g without an adapter it is much smaller than the ZF/ZF.2 and especially the Milvus Zeiss lenses, and with an adapter is similar in size and only a tiny bit heavier than the ZA (with the TAP it would be noticeably heavier, however.)

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:06 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

bloung wrote:
I've been trying to research the sensor stack issue with these lenses...is it an issue on the a7rii?

Yes the lens without a correction filter has issues on the A7RII. With the correction lens it is still a bit behind the Voigtlander 35/1.7 and ZM 35/1.4

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM is an amazing lens but once you add TAP (140g), it becomes only 100g lighter than the FE 35/1.4 ZA. I've used 35/1.4 ZM+TAP for almost a year and it can't really touch native AF especially when framing your subject away from the center area.

Adding a front-lens and adapter rings to it (to reduce FC) add another 25g. At that point, they weigh pretty much the same in hands.
The ZA version has smoother rendering compared to the ZM but the latter has slight higher micro-contrast, no bokeh onion rings and less LoCA.

A lighter combo
...Show more

The front lens needn't be big. It's only big if you opt for the optosigma.

---------------------------------------------

scrappydog wrote:
You can set a Hawks helicoid to infinity focus with a 35/1.4 ZM. I have mine pre-set to infinity focus my 35 ZM. If I use my 85/4 ZM or VC 15/4.5 III, I have to focus them manually.

Once the PCX is on the lens the Hawks will not focus to infinity, it requires the removal of a shim from the lens.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Jonathan Brady
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alternative to Sony 35mm f1.4 Zeiss?

My only two "pain points" with the Sony system as far as lenses go are at 135mm and 35mm.

At 135mm, currently there's 1 native option and the list price is 2 grand and the lens isn't as fast as I'd like.

At 35mm, currently there are two options, neither of them is particularly attractive to me. The first is an inconsistently performing lens which seems to be flawed by design, the 35/1.4 and the second is a lens which simply isn't capable of the shallow depth of field that I'd prefer.

In both of these cases, I'm left with my Canon lenses, adapted (which is NOT ideal, in my mind), at the moment. The first is the 35L II which keeps me from having to play the FE 35/1.4 lottery, albeit at the expense of length, weight, and an adapter. The second is the 135L which gets me to f/2 with a lens I love, but it also comes with the same compromises.

So, there's nothing ideal for me yet. I'd HAPPILY go with the FE 35/1.4 if I felt like I could trust it straight out of the box. But I'm honestly not willing to play the testing/send it back/re-test another/send it back/etc. game. That's a MASSIVE headache that I'm simply not willing to endure. And, I'd actually like to have a 35/2 and wish Zeiss would drop a Batis bombshell on us :-) I honestly can't figure out why they haven't essentially taken the lens off of the RX1 series cameras and given us THAT! I know there's gotta be a reason, I just don't know what it is...

Sep 03, 2017 at 10:42 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password