FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

APS-C and Glass

TeamSpeed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · APS-C and Glass

Why can't you prefocus with STM lenses? Also at 10-13mm with a crop body, the DOF is nearly infinite so critical focus isn't a prime consideration is it?

Sep 09, 2017 at 10:55 AM
technic
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · APS-C and Glass

TeamSpeed wrote:
Why can't you prefocus with STM lenses? Also at 10-13mm with a crop body, the DOF is nearly infinite so critical focus isn't a prime consideration is it?

Because the distance is reset when the lens goes to sleep. If you don't take pictures continuously you never know what distance it is going to use and have to set it again; huge PITA.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:56 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · APS-C and Glass

technic wrote:
Because the distance is reset when the lens goes to sleep. If you don't take pictures continuously you never know what distance it is going to use and have to set it again; huge PITA.

never really thought about it with STM lens. hasn't been a problem with me
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 09, 2017 at 11:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcperspective

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · APS-C and Glass

Tokina 11-16 2.8 and 17-55 2.8 IS have served me great.

Sep 10, 2017 at 01:26 AM
technic
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · APS-C and Glass

CW100 wrote:
never really thought about it with STM lens. hasn't been a problem with me
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

There is also another problem, accurate MF on STM lenses is tedious compared to a traditional MF lens with mechanical control. This isn't a problem if you set distance once and can use this for a long time, but it is a real problem when you frequently have to adjust the distance a bit. With moving subjects (and longer lenses like the 55-250STM) the MF is useless, in the few seconds that you need at minimum to focus the lens (several times back and forth, never entirely accurate) the subject will have moved enough to void the focus setting.

Sep 11, 2017 at 08:27 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · APS-C and Glass

technic wrote:

Yep, pain in the arse. I've gotten used to the 55-250 defocusing after shooting at infinity: automatically use MF to pull it back to infinity. When it's that blurred AF can't find anything to lock on.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password