Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

micaelwidell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

I just love this lens. It is small, lightweight, has beautiful bokeh and good sharpness wide open. You can find it on flea markets for around $30-$40. You can adapt it to any mirrorless camera with a cheap adapter.

What great cheap 50mm lenses do you guys love? Are there any ones even better than the Rokkor 55mm f1.7? I want to start a small collection

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

I love that lens too, so much I'm in my second copy. Had one to use as a short-tele with a X-Pro1. Sold it later and got another one for the A7II. When I sold the A7II + all the legacy glass the Rokkor 55/1.7 was the only 50mm lens I kept to use once more as a short-tele, this time with the X-Pro2.

Here's some more 50mm lenses that might interest you:

Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 - never used one but some say is one of the sharpest Pentax 50's;

Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 - rivals the Pentax above in all aspects. Some say it's slightly better, some say it's slightly worse. Could be more a question of sample variation or brand preference. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Chinon 50mm f/1.7 (PK mount) - very good lens on par with the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 at equivalent aperture from my tests. Good solid construction but very light and small. It's uber cheap too, got one some time ago for less than 15 eur.

Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7 - a russian gem, a bit big and clunky but optically is excellent with a special rendering. The bokeh might be one of the smoothest in legacy 50's.

Minolta 50mm f/2 - never had one, but Philip Reeve reports it as one of the most uniformly sharp 50's he's ever tried.

Minolta Rokkor 45mm f/2 - some say it's not as sharp as the Minota 50/2, but still and excellent compact lens for a bargain. I had a copy that was very good, couldn't fault it on terms of sharpness.

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

The Minolta MC 1.7/55 is my favorite affordable normal lens.

Last February I shot nothing but this lens and it was a good experience: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/learned-shooting-nothing-25-lens-a7ii-month/

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:57 PM
melviny

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

Nice photos. I have the following Minolta 58mm 1,4, Minolta 50mm 1.4, Minolta 45mm f2, Konica 50mm 1.7, Konica 40mm 1.8, Canon FD 55mm 1.2, and Helios 44-2 58mm f2.

Of all of them, my copy of the Minolta 50mm f1.4 is the sharpest with a nice feel. But the best bang for the bucks are the Konica 40mm 1.8 and Minolta 45mm f2. They are cheap, light, sharp and have nice bokeh.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:53 PM
cgrille
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

The Planar 50mm/1.7 c/y is a good lens, too - sharp and light.
The Konica 40mm/1.8 is very small but has an restless bokeh in my opinion.
The cheap Helios44 could be mentioned, if you can get a good version - special bokeh.
The Takumar 55mm/1.8 is a cheap and good lens, but I couldn't compare them all to the Minolta 55mm/1.7 because this lens I bought very recently.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sr.Cordeiro
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

This post is reminding me that I really should use the Rokkor 55mm more, even if I'm not much of a tele guy.
At the risk of turning this a homage post to the Rokkor 55/1.7, here are some more photos taken with mine:

Now returning to the recommendations, I remembered one more that may fit the bill: the Yashica ML 50mm f/1.7, a lens that gained a sort of a cult status.

Sep 03, 2017 at 04:19 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

the rokkor 55/1.7 is my favorite cheap 50, but if sharpness is your main criteria there are quite a few that do better (e.g. canon FD 50/1.4, pentax m 50/1.7, rokkor MD 50/2, rokkor MC 50/1.4, olympus OM 50/1.8).

the helios 58/2 is pretty cool too as is the yashica 50/2 (both of which i got for $5).

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:15 PM
pasblues
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

Huh, I'm glad I found this thread. I've had one of these sitting around for years and just now got the box out again as I'm cleaning out the gear. I'll have to put it on my adapters and check it out on the FujiX and the Sony. Thanks guys for the thread!

Okay, I just opened the box and the 55mm 1.7 is encased in the original packaging - so, hey, why not take it out for a quick look on the Sony a7r - and a Fotodiox adapter. I wasn't trying to work at the shooting, but the Sony made it easy to find focus and exposure is simple even though it's manual. The frame is unsharpened but I think I bumped the clarity a little in C1 on one of Tucker's shots. Tucker is my brown boy and Roxie is my white girl (sorry, she needs her eyes wiped - our constant battle with our little older girl; they've been out playing so they aren't fancy today) - Anyway, these are NOT sharpened, converted with C1:

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2017 at 05:49 PM
pasblues
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 lens best cheap 50mm?

My feeling is that, for a few bucks, these old Minolta lenses...I mean, do I want to spent over $1000+ for Zeiss lenses or is something working with these legacy lenses? It's an honest question...

Sep 12, 2017 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password