Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR...

billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

My 2009 desktop is kicking the bucket and I constantly have to restart it. I've had it to the local computer genius and he can't figure out why this is happening, except the hardware is old and not up to the task w/ modern hardware.

I would like to re-use the two new hard drives, one is a 5TB HGST which I use for storing photos mainly. The main hard drive is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB. I also have two 5TB (new) photography external drives that I also store photos on as a back-up.

In addition, I have a large plug & play USB 3.0 which has worked great, and best of all, I have a separate NVIDIA GTX 600 w/ 1GB RAM. The resolution is set to 2560x1440 and I run it on a one year old NEC Multisync PA 272W and a Viewsonic VX100 set to 1440x900 (native). I do all of my editing on the NEC and use their own XRite scanner for it. The NVIDIA is HDCP capable.

I can move the video card if I want, but I assume it's not a bad one

So my question is, what can I replace it with and are any of these p? Where is the best place to get a good deal on a computer with a good computer? The only computes I don't like are anything related to HP and Acer, and I don't get along w/ Apple. I do like a lot - Lenovo. What would be great is a place that could build one with me for a reasonable price.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:02 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

8 years is a good lifetime for a PC, so i'm not surprised it's starting to give problems.

Sounds like you probably have enough exisiting hardware that a home built box would make economic sense over an off the shelf. If you are feeling up to the job. Alternatively your local computer guy might be a good option.

As always, an approx budget would be helpful.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:49 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

A year or so ago I found a local repair shop in central VA that would assemble a computer for me. He charged $125 to assemble, test, and burn in. It turned out great and is still rock steady and runs PS and LR well.

Here's how it worked: I researched on the web, including this forum, (thanx 15Bit and others), bought the parts and took them to my guy. He did all the work, and it was ready for pickup 3 days later. The risk here was that if a part was bad, I was responsible for exchanging it. Fortunately, that did not happen.

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:56 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

If you don't want to go to a lot of effort building a PC, an interesting option for you would be a Shuttle:

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=2170

Get one of those, an i7-7700K and some RAM and you are good to go with the hardware you already have. I would probably recommend upgrading the graphics card to a 1050Ti or 1060 though, and you'll need a Win 10 license.

I had a Shuttle back in the days of the Athlon XP, and i liked it a lot. Overclocking is limited (i.e. not really a great idea) due to the thermals of a small compact case, and i wouldn't use one for a PC running long periods at 100% CPU, but for a normal desktop PC i think they are great little machines.

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:18 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

15Bit wrote:
8 years is a good lifetime for a PC, so i'm not surprised it's starting to give problems.

Sounds like you probably have enough exisiting hardware that a home built box would make economic sense over an off the shelf. If you are feeling up to the job. Alternatively your local computer guy might be a good option.

As always, an approx budget would be helpful.

I would like to keep it around $1500 or under, preferably around $1000.

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:12 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

surfnron wrote:
A year or so ago I found a local repair shop in central VA that would assemble a computer for me. He charged $125 to assemble, test, and burn in. It turned out great and is still rock steady and runs PS and LR well.

Here's how it worked: I researched on the web, including this forum, (thanx 15Bit and others), bought the parts and took them to my guy. He did all the work, and it was ready for pickup 3 days later. The risk here was that if a part was bad, I was responsible for exchanging it. Fortunately,
...Show more

I was going to do this, but the parts to upgrade even using my parts is more than getting a new computer. The guy that would put the computer together was going to charge $200, which for California is cheap. He has kept my existing computer in-check along with a really old laptop I have, but he says it's just not worth maintaining the parts in this computer because it's so old that the parts themselves are probably breaking down, and again, a new motherboard, processor, cooling, graphics card (I have a NVIDIA GTX 600, but it's still old technology), RAM, and labor around $1000, whereas, a new computer is around that and it's all new parts. I just don't know what parts would be best for photography.

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:18 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

15Bit wrote:
If you don't want to go to a lot of effort building a PC, an interesting option for you would be a Shuttle:

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=2170

Get one of those, an i7-7700K and some RAM and you are good to go with the hardware you already have. I would probably recommend upgrading the graphics card to a 1050Ti or 1060 though, and you'll need a Win 10 license.

I had a Shuttle back in the days of the Athlon XP, and i liked it a lot. Overclocking is limited (i.e. not really a great idea) due to the thermals of a small compact case,
...Show more

Hey, I'm totally lost what the Shuttle is, but what I think it is from what I can tell, is a case that's pre-wired for YOU to put in what you want - does this sound right? So I can wire in my older parts that are usable, and get new parts that would be an upgrade, like the I-7 processor, RAM, etc.? Does this sound right? Or is this included in the Shuttle? Does it come w/ the HD's or do I put those in, which is actually great because I have two HD's I would like to re-use because they're only a year old, just need reformatting.

I showed it to my son and he said that it just looks like an expensive case. What is it exactly?
Thanks 15Bit

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

billsamuels wrote:
Hey, I'm totally lost what the Shuttle is, but what I think it is from what I can tell, is a case that's pre-wired for YOU to put in what you want - does this sound right?

That's pretty much exactly what it is: It's a case with PSU and motherboard already installed and a CPU cooler custom designed for the case. You buy CPU, RAM and hard drives (and optionally GPU) and plug them in. That's it. The latest models don't seem to support optical drives, but that's not really a big issue for most folk now.

Another interesting feature of the latest models is that they conform to mini ITX motherboard standards, so there is a reasonable chance you will be able to upgrade the motherboard in the future. The PSU is probably a weak point in the system, being a proprietary design, but replacements are available if it dies. Another limitation is that you can usually only install one expansion card (GPU), so if you have additional expansion cards you will want a larger system. You need to watch the dimensions on you GPU too - the really big ones won't fit.

The case is a little tight, so installing stuff can be a bit fiddly if you have fat arthritic fingers, but the cases are actually pretty well designed from that point of view and if you take out the HDD trays as per the instructions there is reasonable enough access. I put mine together in 20 mins or so, and i'm sure the design has improved in the 10 years since i had that.

EDIT: They actually have a video to show you how to do it:

Edited on Sep 03, 2017 at 09:01 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

I'd consider just buying the best gaming pc you can for your budget, presumably you have the software already, you can ensure it has space for your existing drives. That way you also get a warranty

The requirements for gaming are similar to those for intensive post processing in my experience

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:30 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

dhphoto wrote:
I'd consider just buying the best gaming pc you can for your budget, presumably you have the software already, you can ensure it has space for your existing drives. That way you also get a warranty

The requirements for gaming are similar to those for intensive post processing in my experience

I would agree. The exception being the GPU: For full 10bit per channel colour you need a Quadro/Firepro rather than a desktop card, and there's not so much to be gained by getting an expensive top of the range gaming card for photoediting.

Sep 03, 2017 at 09:04 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

15Bit wrote:
I would agree. The exception being the GPU: For full 10bit per channel colour you need a Quadro/Firepro rather than a desktop card, and there's not so much to be gained by getting an expensive top of the range gaming card for photoediting.

Agreed, it's something you can save money on

Sep 03, 2017 at 09:42 AM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

15Bit wrote:

Thanks - I have to check into that because the only place I see that are in the workstations. I may be able to get a better deal on a workstation than a regular computer, but I'll have to see what I can find.
How much RAM on the video card (I know it's called something else, but on the card and not on the motherboard)?

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:14 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

Bill,

I know it seems a bit intimidating, but it really isn't that hard to assemble a modern computer from components particularly as they now have directions that are actually in English. Additionally there are a number of sites that can help you step thru the process. If you have even a bit of mechanical aptitude and work carefully checking directions as you go, it's something you can do. My first one was a DX33. The instructions (with no diagrams or illustrations) were in some sort of pidgin Changlish. Took a bit of squirming to get it to light up.

The guy who wants $200 to stick the pieces together is making good money off you. If he's done a lot of them it will probably take 1/2 hour. Of course the expertise came from lots of attempts so if he guarantees his work (in writing), it might be worth it for you peace of mind.

I haven't priced things lately, but I'm guessing $1k might not get you the top end device you appear to want. Don't go cheap on the PSU and cooling. Use respected MB vendors and put in the best CPU, GPU, SSD, and as much RAM as you can afford.

BTW Eight years is an incredible run. I generally turn over at about 3 not because they wear out, but I need as much power as I can afford. The exception was a 2010 Mac Pro. Upgraded, added, stretched, and generally flogged for 6 years. Wish Apple would pull its head out and offer another open architecture Mac Pro.

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:43 PM
dclark
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need very capable Photo computer. Can process PS & LR-No Crashes

You may want to take a look at https://photographylife.com/the-ultimate-pc-build-for-photography-needs

I build my own roughly along the lines of the systems in the above article. It is not too difficult and does allow you to keep the old components that you wish to keep. You don't mention the case and the power supply you have. They may not have sufficient cooling fans and power. Most new MB's will have sophisticated BIOS and programmable fan ports that may allow you to add fans if you need to. For me, the hardest part is moving Win 10. Whether is it possible depends on how you acquired the copy that is on your current system. It costs $110 to buy a new distribution and may be worth it. If you pay someone to build the system, in my opinion, getting the OS moved is the main value you get from them. You may not need to replace the GPU. Most MB's will have sufficient video ports for the displays you have and an on-board GPU that is at least as good as the 600 you have. You need to be careful installing a new GPU board since it may overload your power supply.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password