Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Manfrotto 055 CF with Laptop+DSLR?

hurleyint1386

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 055 CF with Laptop+DSLR?

So I was tasked with building a "kit" for my work to have for traveling around with a tethered workstation essentially. I knew I wanted something light, but durable. I also had a limited budget for equipment I could purchase, and a very quick turn around time to order things.
We'll be using this to go to different expos to do pretty simple photoshoots. The people generally operating them will not likely be photographers, so it's a "set-it-and-forget-it" kind of thing.
I ordered a Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod with a Rock Solid Cross bar, Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head and Tether Tools Aero Table Master Edition. The one thing I'm worried about is that the max-payload on the tripod is about 18lbs. With the computer (15" Retina MacBook Pro), the DSLR (6D), lens (2470mm) and the other table/ball head/crossbar, it's under the payload, but I'm wondering if it might be too much.
I had to order and ship it rather quickly, so it's on its way, but I figured it's worth doing because we will have a table there if we need to put the laptop on top of that as a worst-case scenario. Should this all work ok? I was thinking I'd probably add some sand bags to the feet or a bag around the legs, but don't want to add too much more weight.

As a note, I've done some photography, however I'm very new to any tethered shooting. Let me know if this seems like it's a crazy idea. If I had a much higher budget, I would have gone with Gitzo legs, but couldn't swing it. Thanks everyone!

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:16 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 055 CF with Laptop+DSLR?

I have the 055 in ally and a friend uses the CF - it'll handle the weight. Further sturdiness, or rather peace of mind, would only come through a pricey Feisol (or similar) upgrade.

Just be careful about set up, clumsy people and balance. Now of course using a table, or even better, a high trolley*, is normal.

*https://www.google.co.th/search?client=ms-android-samsung&biw=360&bih=265&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=XHqqWZbFF4eNvQTEpo7ICg&q=tall+platform+trolley&oq=tall+platform+trolley&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3...20319.31518.0.32071.36.32.1.0.0.0.555.7993.0j6j17j1j4j1.29.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..13.18.5374.3..0j35i39k1j0i67k1j30i10k1.-PnW0Ro80_w#imgrc=WydYbMjCZyOtqM:

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password