New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Nikkor N 24/2.8

dixeyk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

I have long been a non-fan of 24mm adapted lenses on APS-C bodies. I have tried a few of them (Olympus, Canon, Konica and Minolta) and decided that for whatever reason it was just not the focal length for me.

Being a glutton for punishment I picked up an old Nikkor N 24/2.8. I grabbed it because I love the all metal build of the old Nikkors, I have a 35/2, 50/2 and 105/2.5 that I really like and because it seemed to be a universally disliked lens and I wanted to find out for myself why that was. I got it at a good price and figured if I didn't like it I would just pass on that good price to someone else.

The lens arrived in really great shape with the light focusing that I have noticed just about every old Nikon has. Much to my surprise I find that not only is the lens not terrible but it's pretty good and I am having quite a lot of fun using it. From what I can tell the lens is sharp with good contrast, doesn't appear overly soft in the corners, has nice rendering and the bokeh is pretty respectable for a wide angle lens. I now find myself with a new appreciation of 24mm lenses on an APS-C sensor camera and look forward to making more images with it. Below are some images that I shot with my beater Sony NEX 5n body and will try and get out with it on my Fuji X-P1 this weekend.

whimsy by kevin dixey, on Flickr

safety tape by kevin dixey, on Flickr

flagged by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I realize that I don't use this lens for landscapes or anything remotely like what most folks would use a 24mm for but it works for me.

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Peire
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

Vintage 24/2.8 or 24/2 lenses work for me as general purpose lenses on the APS-C too.

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:24 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

IMO, the later Nikkor AiS 24/2.8 from 1977 is the one that almost universally disliked; the N is the first 24/2.8 design from 1967.
The "light focusing"you describe is probably the absence of grease in the helicoids. If you heavily use the lens w/o re-greasing it, the helicoid threads will eventually damage themselves.

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:43 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

A friend and fellow photographer uses this lens with a crop Nikon DSLR body. He definitely makes it work for him, but he's also not the kind of pixel peeper and corner fetishist that tends to populate gear forums. Worked as a painter for a long time, transitioning into photography a handful of years ago.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dixeyk

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

Keith B. wrote:
IMO, the later Nikkor AiS 24/2.8 from 1977 is the one that almost universally disliked; the N is the first 24/2.8 design from 1967.
The "light focusing"you describe is probably the absence of grease in the helicoids. If you heavily use the lens w/o re-greasing it, the helicoid threads will eventually damage themselves.

I plan to get the lens serviced

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:49 PM
dixeyk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

Another

traction by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikkor N 24/2.8

Ah great, just bought one of those... actually want to see how it compares to the 25-50 though.

Keith B. wrote:

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password