New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

My two units came and they will be going back.

Why?

They are pieces of crap compared to the Canon 600EX used. The battery is different, so that's another charger and no emergency double AA's should you need that. But aside from that,

Build is different. It's "cheaper." The plastic feels flimsy. The wireless functions work as they should but if you are doing 60+ 1/2 power flashes, they will shut ff. Color temp was close enough. power is identical. No complaints there.

THEY DO NOT STAY ON THE CAMERA OR STAND WITH MOVEMENT. The locking mechanism sucks.

Mine are definitely going back. I don't even care if I have to pay shipping. Save your money and buy something else.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:58 AM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Build quality does feel a bit worse than even the YN 600s, this is true. Nonetheless, I've been very pleased with their performance as OCFs triggered by my 430s.

Sep 09, 2017 at 02:29 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

mb126 wrote:
Build quality does feel a bit worse than even the YN 600s, this is true. Nonetheless, I've been very pleased with their performance as OCFs triggered by my 430s.

One of mine started melting.

Gone.

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:40 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Been very happy with mine so far. A bit more powerful IMO from the non lithium equivalent, build quality seems on par with the other knock-offs I have used.

Based on my experience and that of my associates, I never recommend the OEM Canon flashes any more. They failed at least as often and the slightly better build quality didn't justify 4x the cost.

greg

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:23 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

gheller wrote:
Been very happy with mine so far. A bit more powerful IMO from the non lithium equivalent, build quality seems on par with the other knock-offs I have used.

Based on my experience and that of my associates, I never recommend the OEM Canon flashes any more. They failed at least as often and the slightly better build quality didn't justify 4x the cost.

greg

I'm not worried my Canon flashes will burn down my house. I should show you pics of my table where I laid the one flash down without realizing that it was cooking inside. It screwed up my dining room table.

Those yongnuo's are junk. Absolute garbage.

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:29 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

RobertLynn wrote:
I'm not worried my Canon flashes will burn down my house. I should show you pics of my table where I laid the one flash down without realizing that it was cooking inside. It screwed up my dining room table.

Those yongnuo's are junk. Absolute garbage.

That is unfortunate, but based on extensive research on lithium technology, most likely an extremely rare occurrence.

I think with a bit of care in where and how you store them, should be a non-issue.

YMMV, but I am extremely happy with my Yongnuo lithium flash to date.

After all, most of us have been using lithium batteries (both OEM and aftermarket) in our cameras and other devices for decades... never an issue for me

greg

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:49 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Looks like the Chinese still have work to do on these flashes. Shame, since they look really good on paper. I'll be passing on this one.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

gheller wrote:
That is unfortunate, but based on extensive research on lithium technology, most likely an extremely rare occurrence.

I think with a bit of care in where and how you store them, should be a non-issue.

YMMV, but I am extremely happy with my Yongnuo lithium flash to date.

After all, most of us have been using lithium batteries (both OEM and aftermarket) in our cameras and other devices for decades... never an issue for me

greg

I kind of agree with you. I think a QUALITY lithium battery that is manufactured with some sort of quality control, it'll likely be a non-issue. I wanted to like them, I truly did. You don't think I'd like to have access to 400+ full power shots on a single charge with 1 battery to screw with rather than 4 AAs? Replacement cost of 150 brand new, and they were 100% compatible with my Canon flashes. Trust me, I wanted to love them. Every time I fired it, it fired. That was not my issue. My issue was that it I felt like it was going to burn the house down.

There is a mark on my kitchen table where I put the flash after I used it. It didn't occur to me what it was. My wife said "what did you put on the table?" She thought maybe I was cleaning a firearm and the solvent hurt the finish, or that I was soldering and I just laid the soldering iron on the table. It finally hit me that it was where I put the flash when I was done using it.

I could get over the lack of a true locking mechanism, cheaper build quality, etc., if I wasn't concerned for it erupting into flames after a use.

Sep 10, 2017 at 02:11 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

RobertLynn wrote:
I kind of agree with you. I think a QUALITY lithium battery that is manufactured with some sort of quality control, it'll likely be a non-issue. I wanted to like them, I truly did. You don't think I'd like to have access to 400+ full power shots on a single charge with 1 battery to screw with rather than 4 AAs? Replacement cost of 150 brand new, and they were 100% compatible with my Canon flashes. Trust me, I wanted to love them. Every time I fired it, it fired. That was not my issue. My issue was that it
...Show more

Can you outline the usage situation which caused the battery to overheat? Were you firing rapidly at full power? Did the flash thermally shut down beforehand? Was the flash ruined from the overheating?

Sep 10, 2017 at 03:26 PM
mb126
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I can't speak to Robert's experience but firing mine between 1/16 - 1/64 at 3 weddings so far have yielded 0 issues to speak of. The locking mechanism and overall build is a little worse than the YN600s. However, I'm happy to trade that for carrying 40 fewer AAs every wedding.

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:11 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I used a canon 600ex rt off camera, one of the YN on camera as the master and the other on a light stand. The on camera one was 1:8 or so power. The off camera flashes were 1/4 power, shoot through umbrellas etc. I used them to photograph some old warhammer minis I was selling. These arrived the same day I was taking some photos so it worked to check them out.

The exterior shipping box was damaged slightly but nothing that would lead you to believe the flash would be bad. The interior product box had a good dent in the corner but anyone who has ordered these knows they are in a bag, in a pouch, wrapped in bubble wrap, and then there's stuff in the box too so it's like "protected" so to speak.

I did not do any rapid fire dumps, as I've never had to do that with what I shoot. I don't mean to sound rude but if I need the full power of a flash multiple shots, I need to utilize a different light tool.

Both of the flashes smelled terrible. Both had elevated temperature. One more so than the other (the one that damaged my table). The flashes continued to work while I shot. I just noticed the smell was becoming greater and greater. That's when I discontinued use.
deepbluejh wrote:
Can you outline the usage situation which caused the battery to overheat? Were you firing rapidly at full power? Did the flash thermally shut down beforehand? Was the flash ruined from the overheating?

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:32 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Shenzhen (just across the border from Hong Kong) is a hotbed of high-tech activity. Lots of startups and lots of bright, hungry Chinese techies there, so says my nephew who is posted there by Foxconn.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:44 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

After a bit over a week with the unit I can report on the results.

I shoot with a pair of 5d3 cameras, the flash on one of them.

The flash lasted 920 shots, I estimate that at least 50% of the shots were with flash, so the battery lasted 460 shots. I always keep the flash on full (+3) power.

FWIW, I charge the battery on a granite counter top away from the walls and store the flash on my washing machine over night. These precautions are for the unlikely event of a lithium-related overheating / fire incident.

The storage procedures are minor IMO compared to the AMAZING benefit of 400+ full charge flashes, over a week of heavy use, and not having to fumble with AAs. I work on the beach every day and dropping batteries in the sand while frantically changing batteries was a real hassle in the past.

Happy to answer any questions regarding this flash.

Aloha

greg

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password