New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Well, I have been a big proponent of aftermarket flashes for years.

Used to use the $500 TOTL Canon versions, but was going thru them 1 - 2x / year. My coworker had the same issues. We shoot destination weddings on the beach 7 days / week and are pretty hard on equipment.

I have used the Shanny and Yongnuo for the past several years and they last almost the same duration and perform identically to the OEM flash.

I was *ecstatic* to see that Yongnuo was now offering the lithuim version (so sick of carrying around a dozen eneloops at any one time, not to mention the hassle of fumbling with them at a critical moment of the wedding ceremony).

I have just received the flash and will begin testing it out. I will report back, but initial tests reveal that it will shoot at full power with a very short recycle time (and specs list 500 shots on a charge).

I know better than to rapid fire, to avoid overheating, but I am hopeful that this will be as good as the reviews show.

I recommend a second battery, of course. Amazon had the flash at $150 + $50 for an extra battery. Found an eBay seller with the unit and 2 batteries for $165 (free shipping).

Open to discussions... but don't try the "why go cheap on the flash with your $3500 camera?" argument, as that issues is moot as described above.

Aloha!

greg

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 05:55 AM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:18 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Godox is on a roll with their rechargeable incorporated wifi strobes and flashes included. Their products have made me ECSTATIC too.

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:05 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Yes, I've heard good things about those as well, my buddy shoots with one.

TeamSpeed wrote:
Godox is on a roll with their rechargeable incorporated wifi strobes and flashes included. Their products have made me ECSTATIC too.

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:07 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

You're talking about Yongnuo's YN686EX-RT, correct?

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:57 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Yes, should have put the model number in there but yes that is the one, thanks

johnctharp wrote:
You're talking about Yongnuo's YN686EX-RT, correct?

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:05 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I'm interested in a couple aspects of this flash's performance.

Specifically, the range. Are you getting better radio range than the Canon 600s?

Also Overheating. I find the Yongnuo YN-600EXRT flashes to overheat fairly easily when working outdoors. It would be nice if this flash was more resistant to overheating.

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:46 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I just ordered 2 from Amazon. I have a portrait shoot coming up. I will do what I can to discharge every single shot from one of these batteries. I will leave no punch pulled. If it fries, I'll return it.

Stay tuned.

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:12 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I'm concerned about battery quality, lithium ion batteries are all a potential fire starter, and many Chinese products have done just that with their li-on batteries. So have US products, for that matter.

Obviously, if they were really bad, they would be banned, but it only takes one to start a fire at the wrong time, such as on a airplane, and you are in big trouble. So, what is the increased risk? If there battery suppliers decide to go cheap without telling Youngo, it could be Russian Roulette. This has been a issue with Chinese batteries, the first ones they deliver to you are good, then when you are in production, the battery manufacturer slips in junk cells. Watching them constantly is expensive, and even then, they do the switch at night when the QA guy is home.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:09 AM
dmendlik
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I have had one for a few weeks and for the most part works great but really hate that there is no lock on the hot shoe locking mechanism. It seems to come loose carrying the camera around so I find myself constantly making sure the flash it staying tight to the camera. Not sure why they decided to eliminate the locking mechanism, my non lithium Youngnuo flash has one.

Sep 05, 2017 at 03:25 AM
Kcct82

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I've been using Yongnuo speedlights for a few years now. They work great for general everyday family/travel stuff, but for more color accurate needs they're not so good. I recently shot 40+ dishes for a resturant and I noticed slight green/magenta shifts between my shots (I took about 300 photos). I used a colorchecker passport at the beginning of the shoot. When I batch corrected the 300+ photos in lightroom, I could see green/magenta shifts between photos of the same neutral gray tabletop. I used 1 Yongnuo speedlight and 1 reflector inside a studio environment with no windows, so I'm pretty sure it's the light that's causing the shifts. Also, the shifts happen even under the same power output setting. After manually adjusting the tint slider, the photos fell between +10 and +14 on the lightroom CC tint slider. A difference of 4 points will be quite obvious when you shoot similar scene and it also wastes time having to adjust them one by one. Again, for casual use it's great (which I have been doing for the past few years). For the pros that have to worry about speed and consistency I'd invest in something better.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Will be testing it out on a destination wedding tomorrow and will report back on the color and hot shoe.

greg

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:33 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

dmendlik wrote:
I have had one for a few weeks and for the most part works great but really hate that there is no lock on the hot shoe locking mechanism. It seems to come loose carrying the camera around so I find myself constantly making sure the flash it staying tight to the camera. Not sure why they decided to eliminate the locking mechanism, my non lithium Youngnuo flash has one.

You might be thinking of a different flash. The YN686EX-RT has a "slide lock" to the hot shoe just like the Canon 600EX.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:03 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I know what he is referring to.

It does have the sliding mechanism, but doesn't have the lock button when it is in the secure position as does my other Yongnuo.

In the field today, the flash worked fine, but I did notice that the slide lock slid a bit and I had to re-tighten it a bit.

Not a huge issue, but would have preferred to have the lock button as the non lithium version does.

I am grabbing the camera so often that I think over time it will become a habit to feel that it is in the fully secure position before raising it up to shoot.

greg

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Surftim714

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Mine arrived last week, and I put it to use on Friday night using my ST-E3-RT. I used the flash along with one of my Canon 600EX RT and it seemed to work fine. I was shooting night football game, with the dual flashes mounted on a monopod, so I can't vouch for distance of Radio, as it was really only travelling about 2 feet.

If the flash continues to perform, I may by a 2nd, and use both Yongnuo's and leave the Canon & Quantum Battery Pack at home.

Currently using Quantum to power the Canon 600, and the factory lithium to power the Yongnuo.

Good luck with yours.

I'll test mine again at another game on Friday.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:24 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Great feedback, keep it coming from this new flash from those who have it.

I will be shooting daily with it as my primary flash in harsh conditions (salt air and sea spray), so it should be a testament to it's durability.

Anyone worried about the lithium batteries catching fire in their home or car?

greg

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:26 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

I have the YN 600EX RT (Version 1). Two things annoy the bejeezus out of me.

(1) That damned rubber gasket/collar/boot on the foot of the flash pops off within 30 seconds of exposure to air, and then refuses to stay on.

(2) Using Sony Eneloops, the flash seems to drain the batteries even when off. Even a freshly-charged set will show partial (one or two bards) drain after a day of not even being fired once, and if left long enough will drain almost completely.

Are these still issues with the newer models?

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:20 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

How is the compatibility with the 80D and 1DX?

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:09 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

gheller wrote:
I know what he is referring to.

It does have the sliding mechanism, but doesn't have the lock button when it is in the secure position as does my other Yongnuo.

In the field today, the flash worked fine, but I did notice that the slide lock slid a bit and I had to re-tighten it a bit.

Not a huge issue, but would have preferred to have the lock button as the non lithium version does.

I am grabbing the camera so often that I think over time it will become a habit to feel that it is in the fully secure
...Show more

Hmm, I notice the unit on the right has lost its rubber gasket/boot. So maybe the problem is still not fixed?

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:29 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

FYI that I have exactly the same problem as jeetsukumaran with the flash draining the Enloops - anyone have a fix for this?

Otherwise, they worked great in my limited usage and gotta love the price!

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:48 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yongnuo Lithium Flash - results updated @ end

Not lost, just never had one. I guess that's one of the design changes. Would have been nice but minor

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Hmm, I notice the unit on the right has lost its rubber gasket/boot. So maybe the problem is still not fixed?

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password