New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

I'm still in the throes of decision making. I tested the XT2 and loved it. However, I'm not looking to replace my Canon FF system yet.

I'm looking for something smaller to use for travel. I did shoot with the XP2 and loved the form factor but didn't care for the hybrid viewfinder. I didn't use the OCF that much. The XT20 is a thought, but I'm not sure it is right for me.

I don't want to spend more than $2k right now. That puts me at the XT2 with a kit zoom. While doing a little more looking, I found the XE2s is very attractively priced. For $100 less than the XT2/kit zoom, I could get the XE2s with the kit zoom plus the 56mm! For another $350, I could add the Rokinon 12mm and not bust my $2k target by much.

Of course, there are very obvious cons of the XE2s compared to the XT2. Focus is slower, 16 vs 24 mp, smaller EVF, non tilting LCD, no Acros simulation, etc., etc. I've seen some lovely images from the XE2s, though and I won't be printing bigger than 16x19. From what I understand, the viewfinder size is similar to the XP2 (.62). That's not as lovely as the XT2, but it's livable.

The XT2 dual slots, grip, burst speed, etc. would be nice and essential if I was leaving Canon, but I think for the same money the XE2s, kit zoom, 56mm and 12mm Rokinon would make a killer travel kit. The XT2 could come next year.

So, am I crazy for even thinking about this?

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:32 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

Just get a normal XE2, ideally used, and update the firmware, you have essentially the same camera as the XE2s, but for less than half the cost

Keep in mind there is an XE3 that should be coming out soon too, it will have the new 24meg sensor, touch screen etc. Likely a lot more camera for not too much more than the XE2s would be going for.

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:48 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

You may want to wait for X-E3 (rumored to be announced early this month) if you want the same sensor as X-T2 and might as well have Acros.

X-E2s is an excellent camera as well, I used to have one as my first "dab" into Fuji.

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:50 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

millsart wrote:
Just get a normal XE2, ideally used, and update the firmware, you have essentially the same camera as the XE2s, but for less than half the cost

Keep in mind there is an XE3 that should be coming out soon too, it will have the new 24meg sensor, touch screen etc. Likely a lot more camera for not too much more than the XE2s would be going for.

I've heard it may be as early as September 7. Speculation places price between XT20 ($1200) and XT2 ($1900), which I guess will be $1500 with a kit lens. I can buy a new XE2s with kit lens for 800 now.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:03 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

jigesh wrote:
X-E2s is an excellent camera as well, I used to have one as my first "dab" into Fuji.

Thanks! What do you shoot with now? If it is a 24mp camera, do you see a big difference in IQ at "average" ISO (200-800)?

Some point out that the noise between the two isn't that much different.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:06 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm still in the throes of decision making. I tested the XT2 and loved it. However, I'm not looking to replace my Canon FF system yet.

You know you're going to eventually sell the Canon kit after using the Fuji. So you might as well get it over with and sell it all now and get the Fuji kit you REALLY want.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:12 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

I know you rented and tested the XT2 so I'll just say that if you like the viewfinder of that camera, you will be sorely disappointed with the one in the XE2s. I had the XE1 and it was a great camera but I ended up using the LCD more often than not. That said, I'm sure the XE2s is a fine camera, especially for a nice, compact travel rig....

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:14 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

leighton w wrote:
You know you're going to eventually sell the Canon kit after using the Fuji. So you might as well get it over with and sell it all now and get the Fuji kit you REALLY want.

You're not helping!

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:24 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

gregfountain wrote:
I know you rented and tested the XT2 so I'll just say that if you like the viewfinder of that camera, you will be sorely disappointed with the one in the XE2s. I had the XE1 and it was a great camera but I ended up using the LCD more often than not. That said, I'm sure the XE2s is a fine camera, especially for a nice, compact travel rig....

Yeah, the EVF on the XT2 is really, really nice!

I think I'll hold tight until the September 7 reveal. If they'd only put the .77 viewfinder in the XE3, which is probably not physically possible, especially since it will be smaller than the XE2. The XE2s viewfinder is actually bigger than the XP2 (.62 vs .59). The EVF in the XP2 was not optimum, but it was livable.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:33 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

dmacmillan wrote:
Yeah, the EVF on the XT2 is really, really nice!

I think I'll hold tight until the September 7 reveal. If they'd only put the .77 viewfinder in the XE3, which is probably not physically possible, especially since it will be smaller than the XE2. The XE2s viewfinder is actually bigger than the XP2 (.62 vs .59). The EVF in the XP2 was not optimum, but it was livable.

One thing to keep in mind. If you like shooting with legacy glass, than the X-T2 is the perfect choice. The large viewfinder makes it ideal when manual focusing.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

Used X-E2's go for around 300 bucks. It's the best deal going I think. Whatever else you get down the road it will make a great backup if nothing else.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:04 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

Join the grey side...we have biscuits

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:18 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

dmacmillan wrote:
Thanks! What do you shoot with now? If it is a 24mp camera, do you see a big difference in IQ at "average" ISO (200-800)?

Some point out that the noise between the two isn't that much different.

X-T2 whenever I get a chance. I don't really care too much for the MP (since I don't have any need for large format printing), but yes, overall responsivity, ergonomics and performance are noticeably better with X-T2 (never had both at the same time, so comparison is based on my recollections of X-E2s). X-E2s, subjectively, is more aesthetically pleasing though. Just my personal take, opinions will vary.

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:23 PM
redclmbr

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

I think you may be overestimating the size difference between the two cameras. From a practical standpoint, they're not far off to make a big difference (at least in my point of view - I own both) so I think you can take that fact off the table. The weight, however, is pretty noticeable. If pure value is your motivating factor then yes, the e2 would be a good choice... but I might also suggest that you look into a used x-t1 instead since you've had time to tinker with that form factor already. As far as actual performance, obviously the t2 will blow the e2 out of the water (in more than just the IQ dept). My e2 only gets used if I'm trying to be discrete, or just bringing a camera along for the heck of it (more or less a backup).

Sep 01, 2017 at 06:42 PM
sstovall

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

You can get the XT1 with the 35f2 with spare battery and misc extras for $800 from B&H. That is how I am switching, solid body with 3 lens(16,35f2 and 50f2) with memory and Nikon converter for $2400~. Just arrived 😋

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:45 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

No one has really answered your question, so here goes: You are crazy! Someone had to say it!

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:12 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

I have an X-E2 so if you get an X-E2s you will have a newer camera than mine .

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

If your wanting to maximize the best AF you'd better look at the x-t20 or X-t2 or x-pro2.

If your just doing snap shots and no video the Xe2(s), x-t10 or x-t1 will be a very good stills camera. Video in that 16mp generation is not very good.

Off topic: I love my fuji but when I do hired events the 5d3/5d4 comes along with me and the fuji stays home. Just my preference and speedlight red grid focus assist works with Canon and not fuji.

After owning the X-t2 for some time i know i can confidently say bare minimum for AF performance I'd want the X-t20 if I didn't have the X-t2. I just missed too many spontaneous photos with my Xe2 (w/ new firmware) and X-t10.

I'll have to say I still cannot leave Canon as none of Fuji's sunburst/flash burst photos can match the mirrrored dlsr bodies. My preference to mirrored bodies for this look I'm after

I'm actually considering on buying an X-t20 for a mini X-t2. I'll sell my 80d and keep my Canon full frames for different applications in my photography.

1/4000 max shutter speed in the Xe2 or X-t20 isn't that bad if your not shooting fast moving objects when the camera kicks in E shutter.

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:25 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

Personally I'd go XT20 over XE2 anything, better sensor, much better AF, newer processor and so on. I have two XT2's, and the XT20 got a lot of what makes the XT2 so great. Its also tiny, so for me it would need a grip of sorts as the XT2 is pretty much the smallest camera I can comfortably hold while shooting.

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:36 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Am I Crazy? XE2s instead of XT2

gregfountain wrote:
No one has really answered your question, so here goes: You are crazy! Someone had to say it!

I'm no crazier than the rest of the camera nuts here! Wait, I take that back. I also collect records, have been since 1956. At around 10k now, I'm definitely crazy!

Sep 02, 2017 at 09:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.