Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

I picked up a refurb 80D for my 4th camera. (Maybe I have too many cameras?) Anyway, it came with the LP-E6N as did the 5DIII awhile back. I have a couple of LP-E6s (bought from Canon) that are supposed to be directly compatible with the N version. The claimed difference is longer life - the N has 1865mA vs 1800mA in the E6. Doesn't seem significant to me.

Since the 80D arrived with a flat battery, I put in a charged LP-E6 to get started customizing. Turned it on and got the message, "Is this a Canon battery?" I clicked yes, and it announced that it was counterfeit and shut the camera down. Repeated with same results. Tried again and selected "No." The dialogue then said something like, "This will blow up your camera," but allowed me to use it.

Whaat? The batteries are known to be legit, have worked fine in the 5DIII, but this weird behavior in the 80D.

Anybody run into this? Or better, have an explanation?

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:42 AM
tuantran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

Wasabi batteries don't give me this message. My other ones did including from PowerEx.

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

I interchange actual Canon LPE6 series batteries from my 70D, 5D2 and 80D without problems or warnings. Hard to say but maybe It could be the chip in the battery isn't functioning correctly? My 80D was preordered from an early batch so maybe later models are more picky about reading the battery chip. My M3 is very picky...

Sep 01, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

My LP-E6 batteries work just fine along side the LP-E6Ns, 2 of each. The Watson batteries that B&H sent free with the camera work without errors but don't seem to last as long.

Edited on Sep 01, 2017 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:34 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

Gochugogi wrote:
I interchange actual Canon LPE6 series batteries from my 70D, 5D2 and 80D without problems or warnings. Hard to say but maybe It could be the chip in the battery isn't functioning correctly? My 80D was preordered from an early batch so maybe later models are more picky about reading the battery chip. My M3 is very picky...

Bought a week ago off Canon refurb, so I guess it's current production - or close to it. Oddly enough after putting up with the message a few times it suddenly complaining. Rather weird.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

OntheRez wrote:
Bought a week ago off Canon refurb, so I guess it's current production - or close to it. Oddly enough after putting up with the message a few times it suddenly complaining. Rather weird.

Where was the LP-E6 battery from? Back when Canon first started doing these warnings (I think back with my 5D3) I had an extra LP-E6 for my 7D that I had bought off of Amazon claiming it was Canon OEM. Turns out even though it came in perfect looking Canon packaging it was actually not OEM. There was a thread back on POTN forum showing the small differences in the labels to tell if it is OEM. Mine wasn't even though I had bought it thinking it was.

Of course if the message has totally stopped then maybe it was a glitch in reading the chip. Try putting in the one that came with the camera. Turn it on and off. Then switch back to the older battery....I think the warning will come back but not always if you leave it in and turn it off and on. My M5 gives me this warning with my aftermarket batteries. My more recent aftermarket LP-E6s don't give warnings on 5DSR or 5D4 anymore. Likely the aftermarket manufacturers have updated their chips to get around the warning.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:29 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When are Canon batteries compatible?

And I've been using two Canon LP-E6 batteries from my 7D in my 7DII with no problems.

Funny thing about those old batteries. One is over 5.5 years old, I think the other is older. Both show one red bar. And both routinely last as long, if not longer, than the LP-E6N that came with the 7DII when I use them both in the grip.

I took 1600 shots yesterday on two fully charged batteries. The LP-E6N has 48% left after 785 shots, the old LP-E6 has 63% left after 807 shots.

I usually cite this when people ask about non-Canon batteries. I doubt those aftermarket batteries are going to perform this well, for this long.

Mark

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.