New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Giving back - photo tutoring online

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Hello everyone. Over the years I have taught classes and mentored photographers one-on-one. I decided to try what will be for me a grand experiment. I have set up a blog to review, critique and offer suggestions for photographers to up their game.

I have been a professional photographer, layout designer, writer and photo editor during my 35-year career. I bring all of those tools to this experiment. Now as you can imagine, I cannot possibly review everything sent to me, so I ask those interested to contact me at [email protected] to be considered.

In case I forgot to mention it - there is no charge for my time.

Go to: http://fotocritique.blogspot.com

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:18 PM
c102690

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Thanks Aboudd!
I have bookmarked the link. As a learning photographer, I could use your help.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:49 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Very generous offer. Many others out there charge hundreds ( thousands ) of dollars for this same service.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:46 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

I'll see how it goes. If it gets really popular I may look for corporate support for the venture, but I do not want photographers with a real desire to learn and improve their craft to have to pay for this. I've been a working pro for over 35 years and have been shooting for another 20 on top of that. I would hope I have learned enough to share!

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:37 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Well, I was wrong. No one needs help.

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

aboudd wrote:

Things take time. Online especially. People need to understand what you are offering and will come to you in their own time. Trust is another huge factor.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:53 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

aboudd wrote:

You'll notice that 221 people have viewed this thread.

Of those, maybe 2% are actually interested in critique vs "nice shot!". Of that 2%, not all will need critique or want to take the time to engage you specifically, and others will want to understand the value of your (vs. someone else with a bigger name) thoughts and opinions.

So post on multiple forums, get a few under your belt to attract others, and I think you'll find it is a snowball.

You've caught my attention - anyone who mentored under Zeltsman will have some interesting things to say.

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:34 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Thanks for your note. I have posted on other forums and still no response. I appreciate what you write about the bigger name thing, I never pursued the celebrity photographer thing, I just focused on my craft. One would think a successful 35 year career would have some street cred, but who knows. All I can do is offer. If no one takes me up on that offer, it is what it is.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:49 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Perhaps rather than Critique you would do better with instruction on how to use equipment.

I did a few workshops years back on photography, mainly Glamour Portraits. I booked out every session with half the people doing the 5th session I did that were at the first.

I found that the participants got the most out of the little tips and often were 95% of the way to doing what they wanted but just missing one key step. You showed them this 2 second thing and it all fell into place and they were stoked.

I remember on guy could not get his manual flash right. Took me less than 60 Sec to show him how to read the chart on the side of the thing and set his apeture.
He was stoked with that as it had been a real source of frustration to him and he wanted to get that right before he bought any other gear or did anything else.

An old time example but I'm sure there are many people still confused about how to sett TTL channels or groups or other things that would be a massive help just to have someone point out to them. I know as a pro shooter I'd be grateful for things like that at times. You can take an hour to work it out yourself or you can have the problem licked forever in 10 sec when someone shows you.

As far as critique, Never been a fan of it. Other than technical errors that to most are pretty apparent anyway, I always regard critique as largely being one person telling another how to make their pics the same as they would do them. Yeah sure there are exceptions and I know many would say they find it helpful etc but maybe there are many that wouldn't and pointing out technical methods would get a better response.

I have been looking at the many people doing photo classes and what they charge and half thinking of getting back into it myself. Might have to go do a few first to get the feel for what people want.
Simple, repeatable setups seemed to always go down well nd once people mastered them they were confident to try different things and teach themselves from there pretty much.

Sep 06, 2017 at 08:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

glort wrote:
[...]As far as critique, Never been a fan of it. Other than technical errors that to most are pretty apparent anyway, I always regard critique as largely being one person telling another how to make their pics the same as they would do them. Yeah sure there are exceptions and I know many would say they find it helpful etc but maybe there are many that wouldn't and pointing out technical methods would get a better response.
[...]

I must disagree. One of the best ways to improve - to learn the "rules" and when to creatively break them - is critique.

And, if critique is well presented, one learns general "rules" as well as the reviewer's preferences - a good critique will present the "why" as well as the "what", which is how we determine if a given point is valuable.

Technical methods, on the other hand, are easy to learn. Even though many still don't get them done correctly or consistently! They would, however and as you point out, get a better response, because many people believe their pictures would be great if only they did "x" or use lights and triggers made by company "Y".

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:17 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

I'll +1 to kaplah. Early in my career I studied with two top photographers in their fields, Joe Zeltsman and Jay Maisel. Critique was the important element in these lessons. A good mentor does not force his viewpoint on a student, but rather uses critique to help the student uncover their own creative flow. When Maisel would review my work he would start with the elements he liked in the photograph and then point out what didn't work and why. Not so much, "this should be here and that should be there," but the overall impact of the image. Zeltsman on the other hand, did teach technique, a sculptural approach to portraits using 5 angles that portray the subject without distorted features. I've tortured the technique many times over the years for a dramatic effect in editorial or illustrative use, and I've also used it for classical boardroom portraits. What impressed me about these mentors, both at the top of their respective disciplines, is that they left their ego at the door and treated students with courtesy and respect. That inspires a student and that is what good critique does.

Edited on Sep 07, 2017 at 09:32 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:13 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

First critique for an FM member now posted: https://fotocritique.blogspot.com

Sep 07, 2017 at 05:13 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Thanks, Aboudd, for taking time to look at a few photos of mine. Really appreciate your feedback and I know you will help others, too!

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:27 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

I just posted a new piece on my mentoring blog, how create a stacked image photo. Stacking, aligning and blending several images with different focal points can be used to create an image with tremendous focal range, even greater than with a tilt-shift lens at close distances. The technique and images used to create a stacked image in Photoshop are shown at www.fotocritique.blogspot.com.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

^^ Very informative - thank you for posting this.

Sep 13, 2017 at 05:03 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Blog removed due to lack of participation.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

aboudd wrote:
First critique for an FM member now posted: https://fotocritique.blogspot.com

I dare you to approach Lisa Holloway with an offer of critique.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:15 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Giving back - photo tutoring online

Paul Mo wrote:
I dare you to approach Lisa Holloway with an offer of critique.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:55 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password