Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Interesting. there's another post (further down, on Fall color) mentioning it being early in CO this year?

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM
bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Yeah, I was under the impression that CO is running early this year. I'm flying out tomorrow, so I guess I'll see soon enough...

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:27 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

i saw an image posted from Maroon Bells, and it looks about 5 days out from near peak - but who knows with the weather.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM
astv99
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Anyone have any current updates on Colorado near Summit, Lake, or Pitkin counties? The forecast is calling for rain/snow this coming weekend (in the high country) so I'm guessing it may be a good time to try and get fall colors with snow-capped peaks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Warm and very windy today in the Front Range. Might have taken down quite a few leaves but overall peak still a few days away (Aspens at high elevations) but like always, some groves peak earlier.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:26 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Fresh snow across the eastern Sierras today and last night. I wonder what this is going to do to the Aspen groves.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Monika C
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

For Colorado: Guanella, Kenosha & Independence passes & Twin Lakes at or near peak on 9/21. Lots of leaf rot on west side of Kenosha. Definitely need snow on mountains for the big scenics.

Sep 23, 2017 at 09:11 AM
xterra07
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Anybody with feedback on Maroon Bells today?

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:19 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

I'm in Crested Butte right now- there is a light dusting of snow above 10,000 feet, but it didn't seem to affect the aspens much. I'd say the next few days are "peak", but there should be great colors all around for another week or so. (Sorry for the low res picture, it's from my phone)

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

I had the most fabulous day today photographing around Ouray. Red Mountain, Crystal Lake, and along the Million Dollar Highway.. beautiful fall color was added with fogs and all other exciting weather!!
Right now I am 20 min away from the Black Canyon which would be my tomorrow's adventure location. I am planning to be in Maroon Bells this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday if necessary.

PS: If any one would tip me where I should be photographing in the Black Canyon NP, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:34 PM
astv99
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Thanks for the updates guys, much appreciated. Looks like I need to get out sooner rather than later, as I'm planning to hit Kebler Pass and maybe Grand Mesa.

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I had the most fabulous day today photographing around Ouray. Red Mountain, Crystal Lake, and along the Million Dollar Highway.. beautiful fall color was added with fogs and all other exciting weather!!
Right now I am 20 min away from the Black Canyon which would be my tomorrow's adventure location. I am planning to be in Maroon Bells this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday if necessary.

PS: If any one would tip me where I should be photographing in the Black Canyon NP, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Fall colors aside, the Black Canyon itself is very tricky to photograph because of how narrow & deep it is, but there are good sunset spots at the end of the south rim road.

The area right along Highway 92 east of Black Canyon is usually pretty good for fall colors.

If you don't mind going back down south, Silver Jack Reservoir is worth checking out. I went there for both of the past two years and it's absolutely fantastic, great fall colors with a great view of the peaks between Ouray and Lake city.

Closer to Gunnison is Ohio Pass, sort of a side route to Kebler Pass, with a great view of the "Castles" (the peaks in the West Elk).

If you have a capable 4x4 SUV, the Crystal Mill near Marble is worth checking out too. I know the Maroon Bells is one of the classic spots in Colorado, but I stopped going there when it became overpopulated by photographers.

Also, if you're into wildlife at all, it's worth visiting Rocky Mountain National Park this time of year (even though it usually doesn't have great fall colors) to watch and hear the elk bugling.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:56 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

astv99 wrote:
Thanks for the updates guys, much appreciated. Looks like I need to get out sooner rather than later, as I'm planning to hit Kebler Pass and maybe Grand Mesa.

Fall colors aside, the Black Canyon itself is very tricky to photograph because of how narrow & deep it is, but there are good sunset spots at the end of the south rim road.

The area right along Highway 92 east of Black Canyon is usually pretty good for fall colors.

If you don't mind going back down south, Silver Jack Reservoir is worth checking out. I went there for both of the past
...Show more

Thanks Steve for your valuable information in time!!
Kee

Sep 24, 2017 at 06:47 AM
fzihlmann

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Thanks Kee for the timely update. Will arrive in Ouray this following Wednesday and wonder if I am late for optimal leaf turning colors this year. Plan to spend time on country road 5, 7 and 9 as well as in the Owl Creek area.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Hi Alll...

Wondering if anyone has a reading for the fall colors in the Boston north area, e.g. New Hampshire, Vermont, southern Maine? I'll be in that area between October 1-8.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Sep 24, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

fzihlmann wrote:
Thanks Kee for the timely update. Will arrive in Ouray this following Wednesday and wonder if I am late for optimal leaf turning colors this year. Plan to spend time on country road 5, 7 and 9 as well as in the Owl Creek area.

Hello Franz,
This coming Wed might be better than yesterday (9/23). I enjoyed my staying there immensely even though it was my first time visit to the area. I also made a trip to the country road 10 -> 8 and took shots of the Courthouse Mountain. However I didn't have time to go all the way to the Silver Jack Reservoir because I didn't have time there. I am currently in Snowmass Village for the famous Maroon Bells for the next few days.
Can you tell me those country road 5, 7 and 9 scene? I will be in Colorado until October 3.. so I may go back to Ouray area after Maroon Bells.
Enjoy!

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

I went to the Maroon Bells to photograph. Looks great!
Will stay here for the next 3 more days leaving toward Denver area on September 28 .
If anyone has some suggestions as to where else to look for photograph in this area, I whould appreciate it very much.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM
astv99
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I went to the Maroon Bells to photograph. Looks great!
Will stay here for the next 3 more days leaving toward Denver area on September 28 .
If anyone has some suggestions as to where else to look for photograph in this area, I whould appreciate it very much.

Boreas Pass and Kenosha Pass are sort of on the way back to Denver from Aspen—maybe not exactly a direct route per se, but it's possible to hit both of them on your way back to Denver. Or alternately you could swing north to Rocky Mountain National Park, depending on what else you want to check out (RMNP is generally better for seeing wildlife than fall colors, and the top of Trail Ridge Road has spectacular 360-degree views too).

You didn't mention what you're driving but Mosquito Pass near Leadville might have some fall color too (don't attempt it if you don't have a high-clearance 4x4 SUV with good off-road tires, as it's a strict 4x4 rock & dirt road). Btw, you could theoretically do a drive-through of Mosquito, Boreas, and Kenosha (and in that order), provided that you have enough time, as they all sort of connect into each other.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:52 PM
fzihlmann

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Hi Kee,
CR 5, 7, 9 can be accessed from HWY 62 from Ridgway.
All three are close to Ridgway off 62 on the left.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:43 PM
coxma

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Kee -

It sounds like you are staying in and around Aspen for another few days - if you're up for hiking, definitely explore above Maroon Lake, up to Crater Lake, to get inside the forest. I would also recommend driving down Castle Creek Road, which is one valley to the east from the Maroon Lake Valley, lots of aspen forests in there, and you could hike past the end of the road or up towards Cathedral lake. There is probably a full day of exploring that valley if you choose.

Matt Cox
Littleton, CO

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Monika C
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · never too early for fall colors - 2017 conditions

Just came back from Crested Butte/Aspen today. Kebler Pass has at least another week to go -- much of it has not started to turn yet. Ohio Pass had areas that were peak, others that are still 5-7 days away. Most of the area around Crested Butte was in early stages: green to light yellow. McClure Pass also has another 5-7 days (at least) until it reaches peak. Maroon Bells is pretty good, but will get much better also in 5-7 days. All depending on what Mother Nature decides to do, of course.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:47 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.