Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

What is your rationale for the format choice you made when saving your best images?

In other words, why did you choose the format you chose?

It is easy to say what format you chose. I would like to know what you chose AND why you chose it.

And thank you for your input.

Robert

Edited on Aug 31, 2017 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I store all my images as RAW files. I want to keep the full data in case I need to reprocess down the road or choose to reprocess with a future better editor (say one that does way better selective NR than available today).

I do put my processed favourite images onto my Smugmug site at full quality jpeg as an online backup. I don't have fast enough upload speeds to store all my RAWs online but I should start saving the processed images' RAWs online also. Otherwise my backups are done onsite and offsite with mirrored clone drives.

EDIT: After writing the above I started to realize that you may have not been asking about RAW/jpeg but about the actual media (like HD, BluRay etc). If that was case then I am using hard drives for all my archiving. But I've heard the argument that Archival BluRay is a safer bet for the very long term.

Edited on Aug 31, 2017 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:41 PM
eltano
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

Same as arbitrage.

Eltano

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I keep my raws but also export edited images as high-quality, full resolution jpgs. It's a universally readable format and more importantly, it makes it possible for other devices in the house to see our photo library.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:44 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

arbitrage wrote:
I store all my images as RAW files. I want to keep the full data in case I need to reprocess down the road or choose to reprocess with a future better editor (say one that does way better selective NR than available today).

I do put my processed favourite images onto my Smugmug site at full quality jpeg as an online backup. I don't have fast enough upload speeds to store all my RAWs online but I should start saving the processed images' RAWs online also. Otherwise my backups are done onsite and offsite with mirrored clone drives.

EDIT: After writing
...Show more

Your first interpretation of my question is the correct one.

Thank you.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

RAW images kept locally, on a NAS, and on cloud storage.

JPEG images of the processed RAWs are kept locally, on a NAS, cloud storage, and uploaded to Smugmug for organization, backup, and sharing.

Most storage options are so cheap these days you might as well have 2 or 3.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I usually shoot RAW + small.fine.jpg. I copy (reader) all files to my active desktop archive drive (folders:YYYYMMDDabc), and then copy those new folders to my active external backup drive.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I use Lightroom and let it organize my raw files in its library. For viewing I uses full resolution jpegs but can easily go back to Lightroom and export another size or formate if I need to.

Not part of the original question, I guess, but my image library and the rest of my working hard drive is backed up to a pair of mirrored (redundant) hard drives on my desk. I also make quarterly backups of everything to small USB drives and rotate these in a safe deposit box.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:29 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

Raw files, and any edited JPEGS, stored on my computer, with regular back-up to physical drive(s) stored in a fireproof box.

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:15 PM
2ndviolinman
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I shoot raw and large jpeg. When I process images, usually in more than one pass through many images, I leave them as raw files until I print them, at which point I save the images I'm printing as uncompressed tiff files, so all finished images are tiff files.

I always keep the raw files as well for when re-editing is called for.

I could save room by storing finished images as jpegs, but I don't. I started doing that when I first started scanning film, and don't want to change. For one thing, if it's a tiff, I know it's a finished image, and nothing else is a tiff.

It's just what I do.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:18 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

DNG. Cant imagine a future without Adobe.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:32 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I keep the original RAWS (the ones I used and the ones I culled from Lightroom). Two reasons: (1) maybe I want the original RAW because raw development improved, (2) converting to DNG means you no longer have the original RAW. RAW developers do get better with time so it doesn't make sense to me to throw away the original "negative"

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:11 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

NEFs kept locally on an external RAID array, complete offsite physical disk backup, plus additional cloud storage for my finished stuff and the last few years of photos.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:54 PM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

All raw files are kept on an import drive.
All exported (from Lightroom) photos (the ones I like and want to show others) are kept as a full res, 16 bit Adobe RGB tif file to a different drive.
All further processed (local editing, resizing, sharpening, etc) master tif files are kept with the exported tifs.
All output files (from Photoshop, resized for print or web, etc) are kept as 8 bit Adobe sRGB jpg files with the other exported and processed tif files.

All import and export directories are backed up to a rotating set of external USB drives.

PS. Forgot the reason why part.
Tif is very universal and well supported, a good format for keeping the worked up master files.

Edited on Sep 01, 2017 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

RAW. Jpeg is incidental, occuring due to exports, saves and downloads.

3 JBODS over 2 computers backed up to single drives stored on and off site.

Edit: The Why. I've never thought about it. I just shoot RAW.

Edited on Sep 02, 2017 at 04:01 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:39 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I save RAW for images that I care for and the finished product as JPEG

Morris

Aug 31, 2017 at 09:02 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

I save as shot. RAW or jpeg. I do shoot jpegs a lot lately. If I shoot RAW+jpeg, I haven’t usually been backing up jpeg lately

I want to adjust the highest quality file. Also, I might get a different RAW processor, and they vary

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:20 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

My archiving format is

1. Shoot,Save and Store as RAW file
2. 1st round of Post Processing I import the RAW file into Capture One and export as Tif
3. Do further processing in Photoshop consisting of luminosity masks, and other steps I can not perform in Capture One and save as a PSD.
4. Export final image as jpg

All Raw files, Capture One catalogs are stored on two drives so I have a backup. I only import those images I am going to work on into Capture One. Though I will save on the drive all shots that I took that are focused or could be used for some purpose artistically.

I always shoot RAW and my archiving format just follows my post processing flow. Note the Tif files are usually deleted once I create a PSD file as the Tif's can easily be recreated from Capture One if needed. The Jpg are often kept as I may use that file in other projects in After Effects, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, 3dsMax etc.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:14 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

> DNG. Cant imagine a future without Adobe.

I, too, am using dng. When I bought the D7200 my version of Adobe Bridge would not read the RAW format. So I immediately convert RAW to .dng and discard the RAW. Of course, I also keep processed jpgs.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:24 PM
shackleton12

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your archiving format: Why did you choose it over the other formats.

Every RAW file I shoot is stored on hard drive, two in the office, one off site. After editing, jpegs are delivered to the client and backed up to the same hard drives as the originals. The jpegs are also uploaded to a cloud site.
My rationale is that keeping three copies of the original file, in two different buildings, secures them against pretty much all eventualities short of a meteorite strike destroying my whole town.
Jpegs are archived on the same hard drives for the same reason. Additional cloud storage of the jpegs also allows instant access/viewing from any machine should the client have a quiery about any particular file.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.