New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

MiRunner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

I'm looking to upgrade my T6i to either the 7DMII or 80D. I'm leaning towards the 80D, because it looks better on paper but the reviews favor the 7DMII I shoot a little of everything, landscapes, travel, street, birds, wildlife pets, except portraits. The 7DMII is marketed as a sports/action professional camera and 80D as a General DSLR. I know I can't go wrong with either. My current lenses are 10-18mm, 18-55mm, 55-250mm and Sigma DC 30mm f1.4. I was hoping for better low light shots(I travel to Walt Disney World and want to shoot the low light rides) I'd like to add a longer zoom like 70-300mm, 18-400mm, a 50mm. Originally I thought about a FF upgrade to the 6D, but I worry about not wanting to invest the money into the FF lenses, and really don't know if I need to go the FF route.

Any advice on the 7DMII or 80D? Thank you

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

As the owner of the 7D (mark 1) and the 80D (and several others) I'd say the main thing to consider is what you will be shooting.

For heavy duty sports or wildlife I'd say the 7D2 is better built and a bit faster but if you are simply doing general purpose stuff the 80D has greater dynamic range, a newer more featured body and would personally be my choice.

The 80D probably has a hair's better IQ (in RAW) but in reality you wouldn't see much difference

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:26 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

80D currently is $799.99+ tax refurbished with kit lens. WIFI, touch screen, flip out screen. 1 SD slot.

7D Mark II has better AF, faster FPS, integrated GPS, better grip for long white lens, better sealing, and can add WIFI thru Canon W-E1 wifi adapter using SD card slot. Accepts CF and SD cards.

I suggest 80D unless you need to shoot sports or events for paid jobs.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:44 PM
MiRunner
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

Thank you everyone

I don't know why they call the 7DMII a professional DSLR?

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:18 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

MiRunner wrote:
Thank you everyone

Just because it is their highest spec APS-C body. The 80D came after the 7D2 and has some improvements over the 7D2 but also lacks a lot of stuff mentioned above. 2 card slots (for backup), AF point joystick, faster FPS are the main advantages I see with the 7D2. The 80D has the newer sensor with excellent low-ISO DR, better DPAF for LV and video shooting with the touch screen. The articulating screen is good for video or LV shooting. I owned both of those bodies at one point and found high ISO to be about equal with maybe slight edge to the 7D2. But the 80D has a few more MPs packed into it. If I was a wildlife, sports shooter I would go 7D2. If I was landscape shooter or street shooter or video shooter I'd go 80D. Or if you are getting paid and can't afford to have a corrupt memory card then 7D2.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:36 PM
MiRunner
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

One reason I was considering the 7DMII is because I'm not interested in video and the 80D seems marketed toward the video

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:43 PM
MiRunner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

arbitrage wrote:
Just because it is their highest spec APS-C body. The 80D came after the 7D2 and has some improvements over the 7D2 but also lacks a lot of stuff mentioned above. 2 card slots (for backup), AF point joystick, faster FPS are the main advantages I see with the 7D2. The 80D has the newer sensor with excellent low-ISO DR, better DPAF for LV and video shooting with the touch screen. The articulating screen is good for video or LV shooting. I owned both of those bodies at one point and found high ISO to be about equal with maybe
...Show more

Thank you. I appreciate the reply. I am leaning towards the 80D, even though I don't use the touch screen much and prefer the viewfinder(old school).

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

MiRunner wrote:
Thank you everyone

Because there are some differences between the 7x range and the xxD range, like build quality, weatherproofing, shutter life expectancy, dual card slots etc.

It depends if you feel you need those extra features, against the advantages of the newer 80D body and sensor, which may not be as pro grade but is still very good indeed (and the IQ is better, a bit)

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

I agree with the above - set your sights on the 80D and decide whether the 7D2 offers improvements you genuinely need.
I have the 7D2 and my wife has the 80D. If I was not increasingly interested in birds in flight then I would happily have the 80D in my bag. Lighter, slightly better sensor and an articulated screen would do me. Save the money and buy better glass.

I also have the 6D and I find the limited AF points a frustration but otherwise it is an excellent camera. And to be honest you will be very hard pushed to tell the three cameras apart under the following conditions: ISOs up to about 1250, and do not crop more than 30%, do not print print above 20", or look at your images mainly on the screen. And to be honest that covers most occasions for most people (including me!!).

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:03 PM
MiRunner
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

Mikehit wrote:
I agree with the above - set your sights on the 80D and decide whether the 7D2 offers improvements you genuinely need.
I have the 7D2 and my wife has the 80D. If I was not increasingly interested in birds in flight then I would happily have the 80D in my bag. Lighter, slightly better sensor and an articulated screen would do me. Save the money and buy better glass.

I also have the 6D and I find the limited AF points a frustration but otherwise it is an excellent camera. And to be honest you will be very hard
...Show more

Thank you. I appreciate the advice and information. I think I'm going with the 80D. Any recommendations on better glass?

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:00 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

Coming from the other side, I have 2 1dx mark2, and got the 80D over the 7D2 as a backup/ small camera body

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

MiRunner wrote:
... I'd like to add a longer zoom like 70-300mm, 18-400mm...

I think that for crop your current lenses are fine. With 80D I'd also consider Canon 15-85 as general zoom, its f3.5-5.6, kinda slow but better than the kit in every way except weight. I've long been a fan of the EF-S 60 macro.

For longer lenses look at the Sigma 100-400. Just a little heavier than the 70-300L, but cheaper, and just as good for image quality. I'm happy with mine and use it with the 80D as a light weight alternative to my Canon 100-400 II.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:40 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

Have you thought about the SL2? It shares the same higher DR sensor as the 80D (which both beat the 7D2 at low ISO), PDAF, tilt-touch screen, etc.

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

TeamSpeed wrote:
Have you thought about the SL2? It shares the same higher DR sensor as the 80D (which both beat the 7D2 at low ISO), PDAF, tilt-touch screen, etc.

I absolutely love mine and the IQ is great but it's not in the same league as either for robustness

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:16 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

I never saw robustness as a need listed, the existing camera is the T6i. The more important needs are probably AF and burst speeds, so the SL2 won't be great there, so I'll concede that. The rebel line is very robust though, I see soccer parents and band parents dropping theirs on bleachers all the time, and they work just fine, including my own.

That being said, the reason I brought it up is that you only spend $550 to upgrade to an 80D sensor in a small package allowing funds to be saved for a future larger upgrade. The 7D2 is due for a remake at this point.

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:42 AM
MiRunner
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

Thank you

If I go with the 80D it comes with a 18-135mm, not sure if it's the STM or USM, I believe, STM. What about the 50mm, f1.8?

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:16 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

MiRunner wrote:
Thank you

If I go with the 80D it comes with a 18-135mm, not sure if it's the STM or USM, I believe, STM. What about the 50mm, f1.8?

the 50mm 1.8 STM is cheap and good .... get it refurbished

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:32 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

dhphoto wrote:
As the owner of the 7D (mark 1) and the 80D (and several others) I'd say the main thing to consider is what you will be shooting.

For heavy duty sports or wildlife I'd say the 7D2 is better built and a bit faster but if you are simply doing general purpose stuff the 80D has greater dynamic range, a newer more featured body and would personally be my choice.

The 80D probably has a hair's better IQ (in RAW) but in reality you wouldn't see much difference

I too have owned the 7D and now the 80D. Waffled between that and the 7D2 for a while but the 80D won out on: price, slightly better sensor, flippy touch screen (love this thing for casual snaps, just tap to focus and shoot). I occasionally miss spot autofocus for birding and the joystick but that's about it. 80D really impressed me with build quality; been kayaking with it and getting it and the 100-400II wet with zero issues.

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:26 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

The 7D series is the "poor mans" 1D something... it's rugged and not upgraded that often as the on digits "D"s rarely are. If you depend on that your gear will take same attacks from hostile element and such then the 7D something is for you, otherwise: YMMV...

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:00 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 7DMII or 80D

artificialyello wrote:
The 7D series is the "poor mans" 1D something... it's rugged and not upgraded that often as the on digits "D"s rarely are. If you depend on that your gear will take same attacks from hostile element and such then the 7D something is for you, otherwise: YMMV...

right, "hostile elements" but for travel, wildlife, birds ... other models can be preferable

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 02, 2017 at 05:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.