New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

gardkert

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

http://www.fujirumors.com/enjoy-first-images-fujifilm-x-e3-front-back/#disqus_thread

Priced higher than X-T20, my guess is for the new & speedy touch screen.

No D-pad
24MP X-Trans III sensor
X-Processor Pro
Acros film simulation
EVF 0.62x magnification
Fujifilm X-E3 Will Have a New Touch Screen (Better than X-T20)
no Combined Shutter/ISO dial
Max Shutter Speed 1/4000
full AUTO switch
no IBIS
more expensive than X-T20
4K video
No tilt screen
Bluetooth
Focus Joystick
smaller than X-E2
no pop up flash
even faster AF-tracking X-T2

Edited on Aug 31, 2017 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:52 PM
drewmey
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

I'm not sure some photos on a rumor site classify as "official" although they may be real. I was expecting to see a link to an official Fuji post.

In terms of the actual images...losing way to many buttons, in my opinion. The abundance of customizeable buttons on my X-T2 contributes to its ease of use just as much as the SS/ISO/aperture controls.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:25 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

It would seem that the usability of this camera is all riding on what they do with the touch interface.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:26 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

That screen had better be a big improvement over the X-T20 screen. Mine is turned off now.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:32 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

drewmey wrote:
I'm not sure some photos on a rumor site classify as "official" although they may be real. I was expecting to see a link to an official Fuji post.

In terms of the actual images...losing way to many buttons, in my opinion. The abundance of customizeable buttons on my X-T2 contributes to its ease of use just as much as the SS/ISO/aperture controls.

to me on the other hand felt like the X-T2 had too many buttons and menu features that i would rarely touch.
I loved how I could change SS, ISO and aperture with a physical dial. other than that, the menu would get used only for the 2 sec timer or formatting the SD card.
Joystick was handy to change AF point but usually I would center AF and recompose.

i'm pretty interested to see how the menu system will work on the X-E3 sans D-Pad but I like the back, very clean. reminds me of Leica.

i'm not sure at this point anymore whether I'm going for the X-E3 anymore, no ISO/shutter dial, still small EVF.
a little more expensive than X-T20.
i'll wait for the official announcement and pricing but I feel like I might just stay with the X-E2 for the time being.

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:44 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

great. Just what I needed. A "nose touch" screen.

Sep 01, 2017 at 05:15 AM
mjk115

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

Well, I think the touch screen will be like the XA3 with a tab on the screen that makes it very easy to cycle through its options (off, AF placement, Achieve AF, and Shoot). You can just leave it off if you want. For me, though, the reason I shoot an XP2 and will consider the XE3 is because the EVF placement allows me to shoot with my right eye and keep my nose completely out of the way. The new button layout of the XE3 is like the XP2 in that it is all to the right of the screen allowing your right thumb to make all adjustments without taking your eye away from the EVF.
The menu navigation will be an improvement IMO. On the XP2, you can already use either the DPad or the joystick to navigate the menu, but the DPad is easier because of the placement of the menu button at the center. Here they've moved the menu button just below the joystick for quick access. Once in the menus, moving the joystick and pressing to select is quicker.
As to the removal of the DPad, I think I'm liking it. They added a 2nd command dial, so along with the dedicated EC, SS, and Aperture ring, we have dedicated AEL AFL, and Drive buttons, leaving 2 command dials with press functionality to be customized. I'd probably set one as ISO and the other to AF area (single, zone, wide) and honestly that's about all I use. I sometimes forget what I've set the Dpad to on my XP2 because I so seldom access that feature. But I understand that some need more buttons, as well.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:48 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

I"ve had touchscreens on my Panasonic and Olympus bodies through multiple iterations. For me, they've never worked well and have never been "speedy" in the least compared to good ol' fashioned dials, so I always turn them off.

Paying for a feature and then turning it off, is ok I guess because we get more choice and that's always a good thing. Just not my kind of thing and so rules that body out for me probably. All I'm disappointed over is that I like the rangefinder style of shooting a large plus - but then I can't complain as we have the fabulous X-Pro2. I just need to find more money somewhere. The tooth fairy has been cheap and I'm almost out of teeth.

Sep 02, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

I had the X-E1 and upgraded to the X-E2 because every time I picked up the X-E1 my thumb hit the Q button. Looks like they moved the Q button back to where it was on the X-E1.

There won't be an X-E3 in my future

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lonewolfsx

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

This one is going to be polarizing. Compared to the XE2 I think it's a huge step backwards besides the obvious improvements like 24mp and phase detect af improvements. Pricing it above the XT20 is almost insulting with all of the missing function buttons and the same EVF res/mag that the XE2 had 4 years ago.

I'm a left eye shooter so the touch screen is actually a burden rather than tool for me

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:12 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

lonewolfsx wrote:
This one is going to be polarizing. Compared to the XE2 I think it's a huge step backwards besides the obvious improvements like 24mp and phase detect af improvements. Pricing it above the XT20 is almost insulting with all of the missing function buttons and the same EVF res/mag that the XE2 had 4 years ago.

I'm a left eye shooter so the touch screen is actually a burden rather than tool for me

The devil's in the details it's said. When I first saw the final details and photos I was really negative about this camera. I tried to tell myself that it's not for me, but great for many others after a forum member set me straight on the obvious fact that it is a great entry way into the Fuji system and so warmed up to the fact that Fuji has gone in this direction.

Then the details. The touch screen is not apparently like those that I've had before. It seems brilliant to see how Fuji has implemented the ability to turn off the whole screen, to turn on the whole screen and as well to choose between a 1/3 sized strip either left or right. I have to say that I'm impressed on that one, even to the point of thinking that it could be for me, since it's so tunable.

But then I had a closer look and just as you have said - that danged Q button is back. Oh how I hate it at prominent locations, but especially where they have placed it. Grrr. Fuji still does not get back button focusing. I hope that they do as in the the X-T2 and X-Pro 2 where one can disable the shutter from activating focus - but that is NOT enough. I will just like I do now always have to concentrate to not hit Q, and even when I concentrate I still frequently hit it. Olympus gets it, Panasonic gets it, Nikon sure gets it - even sony has it well implemented. Why can't Fuji??
Is it that it's so small that no way to make a logical three button sweep from joystick to focus to control wheel?

So that has me wondering if I can perhaps map the Q button to the same function as the AF-L and maybe even the AE-L while I'm trying to stop my own lack of finger precision and then perhaps use the Q menu via the touch interface? I've never used the Q menu (except by frequent accident) except when I need the timer. I shoot raw and jpg only and never switch from Monochrome (which with the R, Y and G filters does not work properly, as with film - but that's not important to me. (since it's another small thing I can't have my way)

So the questions I've got right now is if I get to have my back focus setup in a way that flows.

Regarding the other details, I wonder if there is any way to map that "auto" switch to something else than full auto. Perhaps a bit like the Olympus design which is very good (when I can remember how I've set it ) and I wonder how good the screen is. The standard to measure against would be the iPhone. It certainly was frustrating on the Panasonic and Olympus bodies I've had it on but Fuji has a way of surprising me, and I shouldn't condemn it without a test run. Perhaps old dogs can learn new tricks?

I also wonder if the joystick can perhaps be mapped so that a push would initiate focus and how would that work out in practice. I had it pointed out by an FM'er that the wheel can be set to initiate focus, though I wonder also how that works in practice. So close yet likely - so far away still?

But bit by little bit I'm coming around. I think with any lens larger than Fuji's smallest the body size will make it a bit unbalanced but I think it would be fine up to about the size of the 16 f 1.4. And if Fuji does one thing well it's their prime lenses. They have plenty of small choices that would be very nice on this body.

On the "love it" side of things I am ecstatic about the bluetooth. The wifi is such a pita. This could be a game changer in a way. Heck I tend to use my iPhone more than I should even with the Olympus or Fuji around my neck. I often want to geo-tag the shot or just to quickly send it. If the bluetooth works as I've seen it work with other devices then I would be keeping that phone in my pocket, hopefully connected and embedding location metadata on the fly and finally making it easy to transfer a small jpg to the phone to send. Hmmm - the possibilities.

I'm grateful that Fuji dumped the built in flash. That is how we got one extra top row button. Nice thinking. I've never had a hard time carrying a small flash and slipping it into place when needed. It should make this body a small degree more robust too. But mostly I like that extra button.

A long shot feature would be that perhaps the front or rear wheel could be made to control the aperture. As much as I like the ring on the Fuji system, I feel that 1/3 stops are unnecessary except for chromes and I feel that the 1/3 stop detents is why Fuji has such loose easy to jog aperture rings. I'd be very happy to have the choice of disabling the ring in menu, and using the twin dials, as I already do with other brands. Then I could have my 1/2 stops back. I'm probably dreaming there, but hey, it's a good day for hope.

Even if it turn out not to be a camera for me - how nice and bold the company. Fuji sure does think out of normal boxes and gives a variety of users something to consider. It's a great and mature system now. In such a short few years too. And no price shock such as with the Olympus OM-D EM-1 MKii. Life's looking sunny.

So in the course of half a day I've gone from completely negative to actually pondering a purchase. I'll buy two and have one converted to Infra Red.

But only if I can figure out an elegant way to back button focus.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:15 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

I had an XE1, my first Fujifilm X-trans camera, before moving to the XPro2.

The XE design has some real advantages for certain kinds of photographers. For one, it is extremely small, especially when equipped with a small prime or two. It is also quite light. I'd consider one as a second body to accompany the XPro2.

Sep 07, 2017 at 08:33 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

Pre-ordered one with the 23mm F2.

Hope the EC dials are stiff...

Sep 07, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Ubuhle
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

When I saw the news of the new XE3, I was really excited. The XE2 was a fun camera and did a great job. However, I want an articulating screen, so that rules this camera out.

Some of the features (or lack thereof) will probably polarize the Fuji community. I am pleased that Fuji is still continuing the XE series.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

FlyPenFly wrote:

how long is the expected delivery?

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:58 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

FlyPenFly wrote:

That seems like an excellent combination, and a great buy - you're basically getting the 23 f2 for $250! I'm tempted to do so as a second body to back up my XP2 at gigs.

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:59 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

This was the camera I was waiting for when I bought my X-T20, now I'm glad I didn't wait. The only thing it has that I am really missing from my camera is the joystick. Otherwise, as much as I like the form factor, its just not something I'd swap my X-T20 for.
Paul

Sep 08, 2017 at 02:06 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-E3 - first real photos

I really wish the tripod socket was on the optical axis, I didn't even think this was a compromise manufacturers were willing to make.

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password