New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

What's so Hot about the D850?

retrofocus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · What's so Hot about the D850?

D.Hussey wrote:
An uphill battle for the company that dominates the industry?
Interesting take you've got there

I am talking of a smaller segment here in the Canon sales structure - I explicitly stated for the FF market. This is a smaller part in Canon's photo business - they sell a lot of Rebel and xxD cameras, but I emphasize that Canon has an uphill battle to fight in the FF market where they have fallen behind since 2012 with sensor technology.

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:41 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · What's so Hot about the D850?

retrofocus wrote:
I am talking of a smaller segment here in the Canon sales structure - I explicitly stated for the FF market. This is a smaller part in Canon's photo business - they sell a lot of Rebel and xxD cameras, but I emphasize that Canon has an uphill battle to fight in the FF market where they have fallen behind since 2012 with sensor technology.

That distinction is not logical, since Canon uses the same sensor technology in its APS-C and FF cameras (a mix of old and new tech today).

Sep 03, 2017 at 01:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · What's so Hot about the D850?

I don't think that logic is an important element of brand vs. brand, and anti-brand discussions.

Sep 03, 2017 at 02:22 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Paul Mo wrote:
Lenses however, like the 35 f1.4L II and 16-35 f2.8L III seem wildly overpriced - in a price-performance ratio. Still others like the 16-35 f4L IS and 85 f1.4L seem more sensibly priced.

Luckily the Canon refurb store with the periodic 10-15% off sales help a lot.

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D.Hussey
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · What's so Hot about the D850?

retrofocus wrote:

And yet Canon still is the #1 seller of full frame cameras and every major event I see there are sprinklings of dark lenses floating around in a sea of Canon's big whites and they ain't got no Rebels hanging off the back end. Say what you will, but the facts don't bear it out .... Canon is still the dominant manufacturer and is not facing an "uphill battle" ..... perhaps you just don't quite understand what 'uphill' means

Sep 03, 2017 at 05:25 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · What's so Hot about the D850?

D.Hussey wrote:
I challenge that any inherent superiority for mirrorless exists other than sizeweight factors

When a DSLR is switched to LiveView it functionally becomes a mirrorless camera and can break all those same barriers you suggest restrict a DSLR. From a perspective of maximum potential a mirrorless is actually the poor cousin, with the exception of the previously mentioned sizeweight advantage

using the back screen of a dslr in live view (i.e. using the back screen) is of course very different in practical use compared to using the viewfinder and holding the camera to the eye. You would not want to shoot a whole day with the camera in front of you.

Apart from that, it has been proven that (for sports photogs practical), a FF mirrorless can achieve a higher fps than a FF dslr. And there's more of course. In terms of maximal potential, it is very clear mirrorless is the future for high end camera's. It will take some years to get the same level of refinement current dslr's have, but ultimately they will get there and make slapping mirrors obsolete.

I'm quite confident Canon will follow and I'm sure it will be a well working and polished product, and I'm happy to wait for it. For now, my 5D4's and hopefully the next 5Ds will be more than fine for my work.

Sep 04, 2017 at 10:56 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Aztatlan wrote:
As the 24-70VR was not a clear-cut improvement for every photographer, many derided it as a downgrade, although in reality it's just a case of some design compromises being made by Nikon - trading off performance in one area for clear gains in another.

Looking at the measurement numbers on DxO (sharpness field maps, and the vignetting/distortion/CA profiles) it appears as though the newest Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 E VR struggles to keep up to the ancient 1993-vintage Canon EF 28-70mm f2.8L. Tough to justify the C$3,000 price tag with numbers like that... especially considering the class-leading Canon 24-f2.8L II is about a third less expensive.

Canon now has three really excellent lenses in the important "standard zoom" category (24-70 f2.8L II, 24-70 f4L IS, and 24-105mm f4L IS), and Nikon has two (24-70 f2.8E VR, 24-120 f4G VR), neither of which is a particularly stellar performer.

I use this focal length range a lot, and as much as I would like to upgrade to the D850, I'm concerned that the lacklustre lens performance is going to negate some of the benefits of the increased resolution of that camera.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password