Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2017 · What's so Hot about the D850?

KKFung
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Lighting pass through the lens first before approaching the sensor/film, I always consider the lens for a system first, sensor / film second

Sensor just like film - always change

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What's so Hot about the D850?

bcguy wrote:
Why would anyone be so childish as to post this drivel in a Canon forum? I'm so sick of trolls. Grow up please!

Consider yourself blocked.

Trouble with blocking is you still see that 'unhide blah, blah, blah's post' message. Wish they were entirely invisible, though I am loathe to block someone - they need to be particularly tedious to incur blocking.

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What's so Hot about the D850?

molson wrote:
Except Nikon and Canon would have to go backwards yo catch any of the mirrorless cameras when it comes to AF performance...

And reliability and battery life and overall operating speed.

Aug 31, 2017 at 09:00 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Dang. I'm still shooting with a 5D "Classic" and a 6D with f4 lenses.

Some people buy the best baseball bat in the world, but strikeout every time. My dad probably runs circles around me with photography on a Micro 4/3 system.

If I could afford a 5D4 or D850 I'd feel like I was very lucky and would probably enjoy it rather than going online and telling everyone how much better something is. The D850 does look pretty awesome, especially being able to choose various RAW sizes.

One poster had a good point though. A sensor is only as good as the glass the light passes through first, to a point. You can shoot a 50 MP sensor and only resolve 17 MP using a standard kit zoom so to me, glass is the first thing (that makes a difference.

I'm a Canon shooter but have nothing but respect for the D610, D810 systems. The D810 is an awesome landscape camera. Now that the D850 is out, does that make it a piece of crap paper weight? I guess I just don't get the brand wars. If I saw one of my friends buy a D850, I would high five them and enjoy the images they created with it and not try to tear people down over what system they shoot.

Aug 31, 2017 at 09:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What's so Hot about the D850?

bcguy wrote:
Why would anyone be so childish as to post this drivel in a Canon forum?

Yeah, makes me wonder why the Canon wannabe moderators have not whined more and had yet another Nikon thread removed.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:01 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Mikehit wrote:
15MP difference - not significant, really
Double the buffer size - it is not the buffer size anymore but ow quickly the buffer empties and the 5D4 is just peachy
Faster burst rate - if you spend another thousand dollars
Double AF points - |I have not noticed the 5D4 deficient in AF
Wider AF points - not that will really make a difference
Auto AF has so far not been well received. We will see how it works on the D850

A Tilting Touch Screen, backlit buttons and focus stacking are interesting but not enough to have me swooning. Especially with the exhorbitant $200
...Show more

this coming from someone that thinks that 6d2 is a great upgrade

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What's so Hot about the D850?

CanadaMark wrote:
The OP is a bit inflammatory, but to put a more reasonable spin to it...I think some people looking to buy their first FF camera will be asking themselves that question, but for more invested users there is a lot more to it if it means they need to sell and re-purchase all their lenses/flashes as well. There is unlikely to be any sort of mass exodus of Canon users but I think for new users without an existing investment looking to spend $3000+ on a body, it would be hard to ignore that value proposition in the current market.
...Show more

Maybe if we are starting form scratch but not many newbs are buying cameras at this level. We all have not just a glass investment but an investment in the whole ecosystem. On paper the D850 is better value, no question and overall is probably a better camera but it's ridiculous to claim (not saying you are) that a camera like the 5D4 is still not very good or competitive other than maybe at base ISO for DR. Up until the D850 was announced IMO it was the most complete all-rounder available. I think the D850 will take that crown, but Canon will have newer cameras as sure as the sun rises. Tit for tat is how it's always gone.

I'll be getting a D850 for sure, but won't ever abandon my Canon investment. I'll just rationalise down to a 5D4, D50 and D500. Yes I'll keep D500 for the foreseeable future as I like taking two cameras with me quite often. Also I like the fact the D500 gives me 10fps sans grip, so makes for a nice fast smaller travel combo.

While I don't have much expectation that they would do so, it would be nice for Canon to unleash the shackles and make the 5DsII more an all-rounder too, 50-60MP, 7-8fps, 1DXII AF and dedicated AF cpu (as has the D850), new BSI sensor (it's time Canon), dual CFast/XQD, larger VF, improved touch-screen capability compared to 5D4 blah blah

Trouble is Canon would have to price it it at $4499 since they will protect the 5D4 at any cost. Nikon doesn't seem to care about cannibalisation and nor should they, a sales is a sale is a sale, if the bottom line is improved who cares how the pie is sliced.

Let's see if. Canon can even make the 7D3 surpass the D500 in anyway first and keep price to $2K max.

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Chetan Kulkarn
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What's so Hot about the D850?

CanadaMark wrote:
The OP is a bit inflammatory, but to put a more reasonable spin to it...I think some people looking to buy their first FF camera will be asking themselves that question, but for more invested users there is a lot more to it if it means they need to sell and re-purchase all their lenses/flashes as well. There is unlikely to be any sort of mass exodus of Canon users but I think for new users without an existing investment looking to spend $3000+ on a body, it would be hard to ignore that value proposition in the current market.
...Show more

I have seen quite a few of my photographer friends switch from Canon to Nikon recently to the D750 and some to the D810. That too having invested in 5D3s and 6Ds with a decent repository of lenses. As a user with 7D and a few L lenses I would admit that I am considering the D850 as a full frame upgrade myself. Yes the recalls have cast some doubt so I would wait for a while and see how the body performs.

But in short I can see quite a few Canon users moving across especially given the impressive specs of the D850.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What's so Hot about the D850?

brian_sp wrote:

this coming from someone that thinks that 6d2 is a great upgrade

Did I say 'great' upgrade?
If you are obsessed with DR as the sole indicator of a camera's worth then I guess you will not agree. If however you view a camera as a tool and consider an improvement as anything that helps you get the shot then yes, I do consider it an upgrade.

And as you clearly do consider DR to be so vitally important, you must be really butthurt that after all the grief you gave on the 6D2 thread (which apparently you don;t actually care about which seems odd) see Nikon making no progress with the D850 after 5 years of development. What have they been doing? And how dare they charge so much more than the D810 for no progress?
And as for the D5 having LESS DR than their lower end models....jeez!

Enjoy your little land of hypocrisy.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:30 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Because I do not line red color anywhere but in L shaped lenses

Buying a 45MP camera would mean a camera + lens swapping + new computer plus new cards... and getting used to Nikon's awkward* UI.

I will stay with my original choice, thanks.

*in my opinion

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:59 AM

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Fun thread.
http://pp.userapi.com/c636916/v636916012/3d5ed/hWT4VCrMmZw.jpg

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:38 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Sy Sez wrote:
All of my DSLR Camera gear is Canon; but I don't have any Canon stock, no Canon Execs. Come to my birthday parties, invite me to dinner, or offer to loan me money when I'm “in a bind”; so If there's any “Brand Loyalty” due it's from Canon to the customer's that contributed to their success, & bottom line-----Not the other way around!

By taking advantage of the fact that many of their clientele are too heavily invested in a DSLR System, to afford-ably switch brands; they have chosen to take their customer's fore-granted, put profits first, and not bother
...Show more

You have 2 options:

1) keep using Canon and learn to live with its limited intentionally crippled cameras(except 1D series)

2) switch to Nikon, get better camera, learn new system and pay more for Nikon lenses.

On the end of day 5D4 andr D850 will give you very similar results unless you really have to print large.

Sep 01, 2017 at 05:39 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Sy Sez wrote:
By taking advantage of the fact that many of their clientele are too heavily invested in a DSLR System, to afford-ably switch brands; they have chosen to take their customer's fore-granted, put profits first, and not bother to meet the competition; and that equates to disloyalty on Canon's part!

The way I see it, most of the forum chatter is little more than that: there are some who will genuinely use the functionality that Nikon has and Canon does not. But a vast majority is from people who will not actually use the functionality but simply claim they do not like the way Canon refuses to innovate (which, by the way, I think is a load of bull).

My own interpretation is that Canon look at the target market and makes decision about what that target market will actually use and delivers a camera for the price where not all function upgrades are sensor based. Nikon and Sony are fighting for #2 position and are competing to be all things to all people.
Canon's approach is typified by their video in the 5DIV - their research shows that the typical 5D4 buyer will use video occasionally and will rarely have the processing power in their computer to edit full 4k Sony-style. Some people will (a very, very noisy minority if this logic is taken at face value) but not enough to redefine 'typical 5DIV buyer'.

My own view is that the D850 will force th eprice of the 5DIV down a couple of hundred bucks but nothing to make people go 'WOW!'. It may even make Canon realise that with internet chatter the way it runs now (far more aggressive than it has ever been), for reputation alone they have to up their game on features with the next iterations.
But Sony and Nikon have hit pretty much a brick wall in sensor development, Canon has a bit more to go. Meanshiel Canon have the edge regards interface and I struggle to see why Sony especially are so far behind in this regard but they will catch up. So next time round the models will be so much closer unless someone makes a genuine breakthrough pretty soon.

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:43 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What's so Hot about the D850?

RobDickinson wrote:
meh had gps for years never used it.

I use it all the time. I find it very handy when I'm travelling in remote areas and want to accurately identify locations later.

Sep 01, 2017 at 08:58 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Imagemaster wrote:
Yeah, makes me wonder why the Canon wannabe moderators have not whined more and had yet another Nikon thread removed.

I didn't know you could do that... but what a great idea! That would make this site even more like Amazon Review.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:00 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What's so Hot about the D850?

I would love to have a Canon camera that has the same Nikon D850 specs. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:11 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What's so Hot about the D850?

In my other thread on the D850 I forgot to mention that other little nicety of the illuminated buttons/controls. In this day & age of technological wonderment, is it really that tough for Canon to implement this? The old "Casio-like" display is bad enough.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Colin F wrote:
In my other thread on the D850 I forgot to mention that other little nicety of the illuminated buttons/controls.

It's almost a necessity with the clumsy and scattered button and control layout of the Nikon bodies...

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:46 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What's so Hot about the D850?

15Bit wrote:
Of course you do need to consider the real-world performance: Having double the number of AF points doesn't necessarily make it more accurate or better at tracking. Similarly a higher resolution screen doesn't mean the colours or the contrast/gamma curve are more accurate. Numbers look good, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as my grandma used to say. And of course there is the question of reliability.

Like this comment Remind me when I smoke my car nut friends on road, they will find that the road can never give them the same condition on the dyno

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:35 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Chetan Kulkarn wrote:
I have seen quite a few of my photographer friends switch from Canon to Nikon recently to the D750 and some to the D810. That too having invested in 5D3s and 6Ds with a decent repository of lenses. As a user with 7D and a few L lenses I would admit that I am considering the D850 as a full frame upgrade myself. Yes the recalls have cast some doubt so I would wait for a while and see how the body performs.

But in short I can see quite a few Canon users moving across especially given the impressive
...Show more

True, not everyone cares about selling off their lenses. If Canon released something mind blowing (for my needs) I would have no problems immediately switching systems as I have absolutely zero brand loyalty. I don't think it's a big deal as some do to swap lenses, but I guess it depends how much they have depreciated and how many you have.

I keep seeing people mention Nikon reliability as a caveat to the D850, but it is grossly overblown and no different than Canon, who has had their fair share of issues over the years ranging from minor to major (just like Nikon). Nearly every Canon body has had issues to varying degrees since the 1DM3 days, the difference is that Nikon is more willing to tarnish their brand image by releasing a voluntary service advisory (not a recall) for every tiny little thing, regardless of the severity and regardless of how many users it affects. They have become hypersensitive about that since the D600, which was handled very poorly until the end, where they offered lifetime free service and replaced many cameras with D610's with was unprecedented, just late. Sure, that's great for the customer, but it's not so great for the brand image and no doubt hurts their reputation. Canon on the other hand ignores nearly every issue (looking at you, 7D2), sending everyone to the warranty department. That is great for their image when a few years later, most of the issues are swept under the rug where Nikon's are all searchable on Nikon's own website. Two different approaches, and they both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on what side of it you're on.

You'll always find people who have bad luck or horror stories on both sides, and of course the problem with that is sample size as we all know that both brands are generally extremely reliable on the whole.

Sep 01, 2017 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.