Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2017 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Sy Sez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Why would anyone want a camera that has:
15.3 MP higher resolution.
Wider DR range vs resolution.
No low-pass filter.
More than double the Buffer size.
Faster storage media capability.
Faster burst rate capability.
More than double the AF Points.
Wider AF Detection range.
2+ AF Bracketing Range.
739,000 more LCD resolution.
A Tilting Touch Screen.
More than double the per-shot battery life.
Auto AF Fine-Tune.
Focus Peaking.
Focus Stacking.
Back-lit buttons.

When you can get a Canon 5D4, that falls far short of all that, and pay more for it?

“DUH”

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:52 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Sy Sez wrote:
Why would anyone want a camera that has:
15.3 MP higher resolution.
Wider DR range vs resolution.
No low-pass filter.
More than double the Buffer size.
Faster storage media capability.
Faster burst rate capability.
More than double the AF Points.
Wider AF Detection range.
2+ AF Bracketing Range.
739,000 more LCD resolution.
A Tilting Touch Screen.
More than double the per-shot battery life.
Auto AF Fine-Tune.
Focus Peaking.
Focus Stacking.
Back-lit buttons.

When you can get a Canon 5D4, that falls far short of all that, and pay more for it?

“DUH”

Forget all that - I would buy it just for the multiple opportunities to send it back to Nikon for the recalls!

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Classic clickbait.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's so Hot about the D850?

drewmey wrote:
Classic clickbait.

All of my DSLR Camera gear is Canon; but I don't have any Canon stock, no Canon Execs. Come to my birthday parties, invite me to dinner, or offer to loan me money when I'm “in a bind”; so If there's any “Brand Loyalty” due it's from Canon to the customer's that contributed to their success, & bottom line-----Not the other way around!

By taking advantage of the fact that many of their clientele are too heavily invested in a DSLR System, to afford-ably switch brands; they have chosen to take their customer's fore-granted, put profits first, and not bother to meet the competition; and that equates to disloyalty on Canon's part!

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's so Hot about the D850?

The OP is a bit inflammatory, but to put a more reasonable spin to it...I think some people looking to buy their first FF camera will be asking themselves that question, but for more invested users there is a lot more to it if it means they need to sell and re-purchase all their lenses/flashes as well. There is unlikely to be any sort of mass exodus of Canon users but I think for new users without an existing investment looking to spend $3000+ on a body, it would be hard to ignore that value proposition in the current market. The D850 will shake up the market a bit (which is good for everyone) but nothing major will happen as far as most Canon users are concerned. Canon uses Apple's marketing strategy and it is extremely effective at generating revenue but can be frustrating for customers at times.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Because the 5D IV as a whole system is better fitted for me. And I sometimes do video and live view stuff and its focusing in those situation is far better.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's so Hot about the D850?

15MP difference - not significant, really
Double the buffer size - it is not the buffer size anymore but ow quickly the buffer empties and the 5D4 is just peachy
Faster burst rate - if you spend another thousand dollars
Double AF points - |I have not noticed the 5D4 deficient in AF
Wider AF points - not that will really make a difference
Auto AF has so far not been well received. We will see how it works on the D850

A Tilting Touch Screen, backlit buttons and focus stacking are interesting but not enough to have me swooning. Especially with the exhorbitant $200 price difference. Whoopee!

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Counterpoint

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Canon's industry leading perspective control lenses keep me with the system, especially since I have over $10,000 invested in L glass. That is worth far more to me than megapixels or dynamic range. I suppose we have different priorities, and that's okay.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:14 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's so Hot about the D850?

tuantran wrote:
Because the 5D IV as a whole system is better fitted for me. And I sometimes do video and live view stuff and its focusing in those situation is far better.

Agreed - I've been trying to do a bit of video with the D500, and the video AF in that camera is a bit frustrating to use. It almost makes me miss my Sony... (almost).

On the D850, I do like the illuminated back buttons, the improved stills AF, and the higher resolution sensor; I think I might get some use out of the focus bracketing (you can't call it focus stacking because it does't stack the images).

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:19 PM
travelair
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's so Hot about the D850?

I'm a Nikon guy, from my first FM2 back in the early 80's to present. But, to be honest, in the earlier days of digital, Canon was killing Nikon, but I never thought ill of them. I simply hoped that it would light a fire under Nikon's backside, and it did. Now, it seems, in some areas, Canon may be trailing a bit. Big hairy deal. For the work I do, and I suspect most of us do, the camera is seldom the limiting factor.

No matter which side we fall on, we should all be happy that the other side is out there trying to out innovate our chosen marque.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:28 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's so Hot about the D850?

The real shaking up the market is done by Sony in the next years imo, the 850 is a great camera but mirrorless allows barriers to be broken that are currently still restricting dslr's. Think higher fps, real time exposure feedback, no need to microadjust lenses, focus point distribution, size/weight, etc.

It could well be that a new a7r will smoke the d850 and then we can repeat this post

Good thing is that N and C might be motivated to catch up

Edited on Aug 31, 2017 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's so Hot about the D850?

I am a Canon diehard.....when I see people that have a Nikon I tell them "friends don't let friends buy Nikon...". Ha!

But on a more serious note, I would have liked to have focus stacking built in. It is something I would use, but not enough to jump to make me buy Nikon. Long ago, like 45 years ago....I had a Nikon. No complaints, but given the size able investment in Canon lens, there is no way short of Canon going out of business that would make me sell my lens just to get a different brand camera body. Look at my gear listing and you will see why I won't make the jump.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:34 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Why would anyone be so childish as to post this drivel in a Canon forum? I'm so sick of trolls. Grow up please!

Consider yourself blocked.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:00 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's so Hot about the D850?

good to see an anti-Canon thread

but I have heard that many Canons have built in GPS - Nik Ahn decided to remove GPS form the only body that had it (D5300)

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:45 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's so Hot about the D850?

evertdoorn wrote:
Good thing is that N and C might be motivated to catch up

Except Nikon and Canon would have to go backwards yo catch any of the mirrorless cameras when it comes to AF performance...

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:46 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's so Hot about the D850?

molson wrote:
Except Nikon and Canon would have to go backwards yo catch any of the mirrorless cameras when it comes to AF performance...

well, I find live view focus on the 5d4 to be very good so what I mean is: if C can have a FF mirrorless camera, we get to use this function as 'regular' focus thru a viewfinder

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:00 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's so Hot about the D850?

In truth, if Nikon's wider range of lenses and flashes suits your needs, then a D850 (or any other Nikon body) is probably an excellent choice. Quite possibly better than buying a Canon, especially if you aren't already heavily invested in either system.

Of course you do need to consider the real-world performance: Having double the number of AF points doesn't necessarily make it more accurate or better at tracking. Similarly a higher resolution screen doesn't mean the colours or the contrast/gamma curve are more accurate. Numbers look good, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as my grandma used to say. And of course there is the question of reliability.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's so Hot about the D850?

TBH if nikon had the range of glass I want to use I'd be off.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:40 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's so Hot about the D850?

Lack of GPS is a huge fail

Lack of EF mount total failure

Useless

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:34 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's so Hot about the D850?

meh had gps for years never used it.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.