New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

Photozack81
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

OK, FM C&C board, I put myself at your mercy.

I decided a while back that I will sell my D750. I don't do too many set up shots like this, but I'd like to think I did a pretty good job not only documenting the state of the camera, but nice pics as well.

Shot with my D500 and nifty fifty for most if not all. SS varies, aperture was f/4 or f/5.6 for most. Light was 2 video lights on stands to either side. Yes, the last one's a composite. I'm OK with it.

Hit me with your comments and critiques good and bad, before I send the D750 on it's way. Thanks!

Overall:

_DSC2880 by Zack, on Flickr

Tight in on the camera:

_DSC2884 by Zack, on Flickr

Port side:

_DSC2885 by Zack, on Flickr

Screen:

_DSC2887 by Zack, on Flickr

Card side:

_DSC2888 by Zack, on Flickr

Yep, flippy screen:

_DSC2889 by Zack, on Flickr

And the screen actually works:

_DSC2891 by Zack, on Flickr

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:32 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

I think they will serve the purpose nicely. If I was in the market, I would feel I've seen a good representation of the camera condition.

I think some would be better served by stopping down a stop or two. On the first two images, a little more separation between the camera and the background would help. The viewfinder is blending into the background.

Aug 31, 2017 at 09:59 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

I agree with dmac all around.

If this were for ad copy I think that the main detractor is that the background is also being illuminated. If you had a pure black background I think that you'd have more impact. There are a few other clean-up/tidying edits that I would make but otherwise I think you made a good effort.

I pulled the below example from the internet:

https://i2.wp.com/digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/camera-product-shot-on-black.jpg
(Credit: https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-shoot-black-objects-on-black-backgrounds/)

If anything you went above any beyond the requirements of selling over at B&S!

Cheers,

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:37 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

I thought letting the lights spill over onto the background might help with the separation a bit. In the above example, though, it doesn't seem to have been so necessary.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:57 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

I've done quite a bit of product photography like this for the purposes of selling. Personally, I like a white background and used a piece of posterboard taped to my desk and the wall with no crease. I also used an umbrella and shot tethered. Once you get the settings right, you can continue with the settings for anything else. The tethering works nicely because you can see the result immediately.

Love the subject by the way. I just recently switched from Canon to Nikon specifically for the D750!

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:15 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

Photozack81 wrote:
I thought letting the lights spill over onto the background might help with the separation a bit. In the above example, though, it doesn't seem to have been so necessary.

I think overall that it'll make for a cleaner/sharper look.

For a listing I doubt it's necessary (altho slick!), but for an ad I'd say it'd be necessary.

Please bear in mind that I'm about the farthest from an expert for pro product shots, so grain of salt with all of the above.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:17 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

beavens wrote:
I think overall that it'll make for a cleaner/sharper look.

For a listing I doubt it's necessary (altho slick!), but for an ad I'd say it'd be necessary.

Please bear in mind that I'm about the farthest from an expert for pro product shots, so grain of salt with all of the above.

Jeff

That does seem to be more of an art shot.

I have tried that style before.

It was one of those days where my camera finger was twitching and I hadn't shot anything in a while. Sitting there at my desk, the weather was crap. I made a black background out of a bath robe, the surface it's sitting on is the lid of my laptop.

DSC_4034-Edit by Zack, on Flickr

Doesn't seem right for a buy and sell type shot though. :P

I've also experimented with the all white as mentioned above.

DSC_9788-Edit by Zack, on Flickr

But, I've not got the resources here to pull off a shot like that. Sometimes I miss the toys I used to have. I'm building back up bit by bit!

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:51 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first somewhat serious attempt at product photography

Photozack81 wrote:
But, I've not got the resources here to pull off a shot like that. Sometimes I miss the toys I used to have. I'm building back up bit by bit!

Sounds like you need to get your MacGyver on an improvise.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.