New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Are drones a primary target of this camera? AFAIK several are compatible with GoPro Hero 4 which the dimensions of this camera match that exactly.

Color me intrigued if it does.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Paul Mo wrote:
Non-stabilised?

Does not seems to be.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:18 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

tzhang4284 wrote:
Underwater housings are not cheap and they have to be maintained and tested every time you use it. This can be a true grab and go beach/underwater/rugged camera with a 1in sensor. The only other camera out there that fits this spec is the Sealife DC2000 without having to go to smaller sensor alternatives.

I've been looking for something like this for a while and this is close but not fully there - missing 4k internal recording (even if it's 5 minutes), first party go pro mount (the tripod thread isn't as good in my opinion) and electronic stabilization. This might
...Show more

What about the Nikon 1 AW1? The 10/2.8 lens is a little bit longer and doesn't do 4k at all, but I can't imagine a 4k recorder being part of a grab&go kit for the beach.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:06 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Looks pretty cool to me but I don't follow these types of cameras . So not sure of it abilities or value to others but man is it small

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:14 PM
realVivek
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Looks like a must for the A9 owners, Guy!

Check this out (also the comments): http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/image-rx0-mounted-sony-a9/

GMPhotography wrote:
Looks pretty cool to me but I don't follow these types of cameras . So not sure of it abilities or value to others but man is it small

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:36 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

I saw that . Looks really cool

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Giving Slog to the RXO and not the A9 is kind of ridiculous...You may say one is for video and the other stills but my A7RII has it.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Yea it makes zero sense. The A9 really needs that update.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Giving Slog to the RXO and not the A9 is kind of ridiculous...You may say one is for video and the other stills but my A7RII has it.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:59 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Fred Miranda wrote:

How can I double like this? The fact that they put picture profiles in the RX0 was salt on the wound, but I'll refrain from getting on my soapbox...

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:25 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

freaklikeme wrote:
What about the Nikon 1 AW1? The 10/2.8 lens is a little bit longer and doesn't do 4k at all, but I can't imagine a 4k recorder being part of a grab&go kit for the beach.

I haven’t tried the Nikon but from the YouTube videos on maintaining it, it seems like you need to regularly clean the lens gasket after each use similar to an underwater housing. It seems more trouble than it’s worth especially since the image quality lags behind the newer generation Sony sensors. The level of effort required to keep it clean and free of water plus lower image quality makes it more trouble than its worth to me.

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

artur5 wrote:
Looking at the specs, and reading ‘24mm lens’, I said to myself, how odd that they put a short tele instead of a moderate wideangle. Of course, it isn’t a real 24mm. but around 8mm, which gives aprox the same FOV of a 24mm. on FF. The person who invented the absurd and misleading term ‘focal equivalent’ should have been hanged high on the spot. If a lens is 8mm., it’s 8mm. Period.
Same thing for the 1” sensor. Why they call them 1” if the diagonal of the sensor is 15.9mm. i.e. 0.628” ?. It isn’t Sony only but
...Show more

It does not bother me that they call it 24mm in "full frame" terms. What is bothersome is that they call it 24mm f/4 when in fact should be 24 f/11 equivalent. (2.7x factor)

So, it should be 8m f/4 OR 24mm f/11. I guess the marketing team didn't like the idea of selling a 24mm f/11 lens.

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:19 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Fred Miranda wrote:
It does not bother me that they call it 24mm in "full frame" terms. What is bothersome is that they call it 24mm f/4 when in fact should be 24 f/11 equivalent. (2.7x factor)

So, it should be 8m f/4 OR 24mm f/11. I guess the marketing team didn't like the idea of selling a 24mm f/11 lens.

Agree. But Sony have a bad habit of this mixed description. The RX100 is described as a 24-70 f1.8 when it should be 24-70 f5 or 8mm f 1.8. (Approx). Personally I prefer the consistent equivalent formulations, as it makes it easier to khow the lens will behave on different formats to have a standard...

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:04 AM
artur5
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Sorry foks, but I disagree with the general acceptance of focal equivalent terminology for designing the lenses. I don't imagine any MF manufacturer labeling their lenses with the equivalent to FF. If Leica announces a 30/2.8 for their S2 system, it's a real 30mm, not a 36mm. which has same FOV as a 30mm in FF.
So, why the other formats have to relate to FF ?. It's confusing and misleading because in the end you never know at first glance if they're referring to a real focal or some sort of equivalence. Every lens, with disregard of sensor size, should be clearly labeled with the real focal and aperture. Feel free to add in the specifications a full table with the equivalences to every other format ever made.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:23 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

mb126 wrote:
Are drones a primary target of this camera? AFAIK several are compatible with GoPro Hero 4 which the dimensions of this camera match that exactly.

Color me intrigued if it does.

Well the Phantom 4 Pro already uses the Sony 1" sensor and has a 24mm-equivalent lens (except it is 2.8). Obviously this camera is more versatile when not airborne, though.

artur5 wrote:
Sorry foks, but I disagree with the general acceptance of focal equivalent terminology for designing the lenses. I don't imagine any MF manufacturer labeling their lenses with the equivalent to FF.

Maybe they don't label it on the lens, but they do call it out prominently on their website in some cases

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/

Sep 01, 2017 at 06:59 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Well....I preordered an RX0 today. Looking back at how my RX100 ii has been utilized, the focal length and f/4 shouldn't be a problem, with the added benefits of the size/weight.

And- I know the lens in the RX100 series cameras gets good reviews for what it is...plus the "RX" series fixed lenses have been very well reviewed. So I'm hoping for sharp results, assuming you work within the constraints of the camera, which I don't think will be a problem in my case.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

gocolts wrote:
A fun toy for still photographers or just a GoPro replacement?

rji2goleez wrote:
It is an interesting camera. Might even replace a gopro . . . .

That depends on what you use your Go-Pro for - this is not a direct replacement as it has a narrower lens. The utra-wide lens on the Go-Pro has two functions, it makes getting the camera angle right less critical, and more importantly it reduces the effect of camera shake and changes in direction.

Faulta wrote:
Well one inch sensor f4 lens, that's like an 1/2.5 inch sensor with F1.6 lens - oh well, why not just take a Samsung Galaxy phone and get the same image quality...

Because you wont get the same quality, pixel size starts to make a big difference when you get this small. Additionally the tolerances required to make a "good lens" become problematic.

Faulta wrote:
a good 2.3 inch sensor paired with a good 1.8 lens would deliver the same video quality while being a good portion smalle

Even if that was the case this is not just a video camera, but a 15 megapixel RAW shooting stills camera also.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:04 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

artur5 wrote:
Same thing for the 1” sensor. Why they call them 1” if the diagonal of the sensor is 15.9mm. i.e. 0.628” ?. It isn’t Sony only but every manufacturer doing this sort of baloney these days

It isn't Sony at all actually - if you go to their official website they only ever refer to it as a "type 1.0" sensor. Same with the other RX cameras. It's the press and retailers that keep referring to the Rx0 as having a 1" sensor.

Sep 09, 2017 at 05:05 AM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

I think one interesting aspect is the time-synchronization of multiple cameras.

Plenty of applications, e.g. 3D reconstruction from multiple views, VR video and events covered from multiple viewpoints.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.