FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Pre-order: Sony RX0
You can now preorder the new RX0 at B&H Photo and Adorama.

Price: $698, Availability: Oct. 17th

Main features:
  1. Outputs 4:2:2 UHD 4K Video via HDMI
  2. Ultra-Compact, Lightweight Body
  3. 21MP 1" Stacked CMOS Sensor
  4. Timecode-Sync Multiple Cameras
  5. Records 1080p60 Video Internally
  6. Zeiss 24mm-Equivalent Lens, f/4 Aperture
  7. XAVC-S, AVCHD and .MP4 Recording
  8. S-Log2 Gamma & Picture Profile Settings
  9. Water / Shock/ Crush-Proof Body
  10. Control via iOS or Android App
  11. Operating Temperature 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
  12. Dimensions (W x H x D) 2.4 x 1.6 x 1.2" / 61.0 x 40.6 x 30.5 mm
  13. Weight 3.4 oz / 96 g

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:55 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

A fun toy for still photographers or just a GoPro replacement?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/full-specs-new-sony-rx0-ultra-compact-camera/

Considering my RX100v2 gets used with an underwater housing at times, and the zoom range isn't that important to me, I'm actually tempted to give it a try.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

It is an interesting camera. Might even replace a gopro . . . I want to see samples though . . .

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM
ytwong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Interesting camera! Small, rugged and 1" sensor is quite well balanced. Maybe good for shooting in bad weather.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

It's a DxO One with a real screen and wider lens.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:07 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

One feature I need clarification on is what the max fps is when using continuous autofocus. The 16fps speed priority continuous shooting sounds great except for that the focus and exposure is fixed as of the 1st frame.

This would be great for snorkeling in Maui as well as casual family stuff at the pool etc., but it's a lot of money for a 1-inch f/4 lens....although maybe it'll be a really good lens, like we've seen in other RX series cameras.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:19 PM
Faulta

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Well one inch sensor f4 lens, that's like an 1/2.5 inch sensor with F1.6 lens - oh well, why not just take a Samsung Galaxy phone and get the same image quality...
Not really impressed by those specs, sure the lens will have a great quality but to be honest, a good 2.3 inch sensor paired with a good 1.8 lens would deliver the same video quality while being a good portion smaller, I don't get the point of this sensor/lens combination especially because the smaller sensor would have a faster readout and therefore less rolling shutter and potentially faster frame rate as well, the 1/2.3 inch solution would therefore be the cheaper, smaller and better solution..

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:18 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Looking at the specs, and reading ‘24mm lens’, I said to myself, how odd that they put a short tele instead of a moderate wideangle. Of course, it isn’t a real 24mm. but around 8mm, which gives aprox the same FOV of a 24mm. on FF. The person who invented the absurd and misleading term ‘focal equivalent’ should have been hanged high on the spot. If a lens is 8mm., it’s 8mm. Period.
Same thing for the 1” sensor. Why they call them 1” if the diagonal of the sensor is 15.9mm. i.e. 0.628” ?. It isn’t Sony only but every manufacturer doing this sort of baloney these days. This is no longer marketing hype or misleading advertising but plain lies. You have to read carefully the almost hidden small text to get to know the real specs.

Rant over (for the time being )

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Non-stabilised?

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Somebody at Sony loves to come up with a new form factor for their 1" sensor every couple of years.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

artur5 wrote:
Looking at the specs, and reading ‘24mm lens’, I said to myself, how odd that they put a short tele instead of a moderate wideangle. Of course, it isn’t a real 24mm. but around 8mm, which gives aprox the same FOV of a 24mm. on FF. The person who invented the absurd and misleading term ‘focal equivalent’ should have been hanged high on the spot. If a lens is 8mm., it’s 8mm. Period.
Same thing for the 1” sensor. Why they call them 1” if the diagonal of the sensor is 15.9mm. i.e. 0.628” ?. It isn’t Sony only but
...Show more

I seem to remember that the term 1" stems from an old broadcast naming convention. There was some technical explanation for the name, that I no longer remember.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:15 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

snapsy wrote:
Somebody at Sony loves to come up with a new form factor for their 1" sensor every couple of years.

Thom Hogan seems to like it, saying that this is what Nikon Keymission should have been like.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:17 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

artur5 wrote:
Same thing for the 1” sensor. Why they call them 1” if the diagonal of the sensor is 15.9mm. i.e. 0.628” ?. It isn’t Sony only but
...Show more

Personally I like the full frame equivalent presentation as it gives a common reference point. Reading the specs and it only mentioning 8mm gives me no idea...but equating it to it's full frame equivalent puts things into clear perspective.

So would you call that sensor a .628" instead?

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Faulta

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Personally, I like FF equivalent as well - but doing it only for the focal length is misleading and I would even call it false advertising. Phone companies do that all the time and if you read reviews you can see that it is indeed misleading because reviewers have no clue what they are talking about and comparing different apertures with different sensor sizes and focal lengthts all the time.
So this is an 24mm f11 equivalent - I would love to see all camera advertised like that. You would instantaneously know what you get. You know that 24.. f11 is, how it looks and how much light it gathers. But calling it 24mm f4, even on the lens itself is false advertising period. Someone should really step into that. Same goes for phones like the new huawei Leica offerings that have 27mm f2.2 or something written on the back. That's just false.
So yes, equivalent values are great but not like that...

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:29 PM
Faulta

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

bjornthun wrote:
I seem to remember that the term 1" stems from an old broadcast naming convention. There was some technical explanation for the name, that I no longer remember.

As far as I remember, back in the days old film had those frames around the actual image area, the one inch is the size for the image area and the frame. Since with digital sensors you obviously don't have the frame anymore, the sensor is smaller but still called like it was with the frame attached that has the equivalent image area

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:38 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

gocolts wrote:
A fun toy for still photographers or just a GoPro replacement?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/full-specs-new-sony-rx0-ultra-compact-camera/

Considering my RX100v2 gets used with an underwater housing at times, and the zoom range isn't that important to me, I'm actually tempted to give it a try.

Your RX100 uses the entire sensor and has a faster lens. RX0 is tiny but would it be worth it?

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:47 PM
tzhang4284
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

freaklikeme wrote:
Your RX100 uses the entire sensor and has a faster lens. RX0 is tiny but would it be worth it?

Underwater housings are not cheap and they have to be maintained and tested every time you use it. This can be a true grab and go beach/underwater/rugged camera with a 1in sensor. The only other camera out there that fits this spec is the Sealife DC2000 without having to go to smaller sensor alternatives.

I've been looking for something like this for a while and this is close but not fully there - missing 4k internal recording (even if it's 5 minutes), first party go pro mount (the tripod thread isn't as good in my opinion) and electronic stabilization. This might be why they're marketing this to pros vs. the action cam crowd.

The f4 lens is fine since most people using these types of cameras are using it in good lighting and are not focused on bokeh.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Most interesting part of this announcement is that we haven't seen the word "Tessar" in some time.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:09 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

freaklikeme wrote:

Good question...I haven't decided yet. I need to look back/forward at the times I've pressed the RX100 into use and determine if the lens/sensor would be an issue. With an A6500 & A7R2 available to me, the RX100 has always been for specialized uses only for me.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:24 PM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Sony RX0 for $698

Finally, there is a Sony cam (any format) that has the body/lens proportions right!

Battery life would be a major concern other than the steep price tag of €850.

Good luck to sony!

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password