New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Dinner time

solarishead
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dinner time

Went on a hike last night to a new location and came up empty handed. On the way home I came across some cows in a field that I stopped to take pictures of. At first, I only noticed the adult cows. After being there about five minutes, the calf got up out of the tall grasses to come over to mom for some dinner. Really neat to see first hand.

As always, share your thoughts!

Mark

NIKON D750    100.0-400.0 mm f/5.0-6.3 lens    100mm    f/6.3    1/125s    400 ISO    +1.7 EV  

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dinner time

Just noticed, I meant to kill the blue recycling bin in the barn. Pretend it's not there!

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dinner time

Hey, sometimes the it's more about the journey than destination, right?

But in this case it looks like ended up right where you wanted or were meant to be.

I've got two questions for ya:

1) What do you feel is added to the picture/message by the extra space around the cows (sky/tree/majority of barn)?
2) This might be related to 1, but any reason that you shot at 100mm where a longer focal length would give you better subject isolation?

Now this might all be moot because your message was the entire scene and you wanted the background details included, but with the title I was thinking that the cows themselves should first and foremost so I threw up a hasty rework below (also added some blurring to show the difference in isolation/separation that a longer focal length may have given you).

Cheers!

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:14 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dinner time

Jeff,

Nice proposed composition. I certainly could have zoomed in more, but was thinking the barn added to the overall scene. Now seeing your crop, I see that it wasn't really necessary to have the entire barn in frame. I'm with you on not needing the sky in the frame. I tried to tone it down slightly, but it was the brightest part of the image at the edge which is less than ideal.

I'll need to play around with this a bit more when I get home.

Mark

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dinner time

solarishead wrote:
Jeff,

Nice proposed composition. I certainly could have zoomed in more, but was thinking the barn added to the overall scene. Now seeing your crop, I see that it wasn't really necessary to have the entire barn in frame. I'm with you on not needing the sky in the frame. I tried to tone it down slightly, but it was the brightest part of the image at the edge which is less than ideal.

I'll need to play around with this a bit more when I get home.

Mark

I'd say next time go for broke and take a shot with the entire scene with background detail but also take a few tighter shots and go for more of an isolated portrait.

It's great scene, mostly pleasing fleeting light and a great color palette in play. Oh yeah, and the great mom/calf interaction!!!

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:41 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dinner time

I like this one.
Yes to killing the blue bin.
Jeff's zoomed in view works.
If I were reshooting I'd shoot a bit more wide open to further blur the BG. I do like the context but not as much needed, as Jeff illustrates.
I like that you shot close to eye level with Mom.

Scott

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:05 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dinner time

Normally I think the BG barn would add to a shot like this but being that it was dinner time for the little one I think a tighter more intimate shot would be more fitting as Jeff illustrated.

With a slightly different composition, more from the rear of mom, this could be super nice by pulling in very tight on the little one with mom's headed turned looking back at the camera.

Dave

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:36 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dinner time

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I agree that the background could have stood to be more out of focus. I'm shooting with the new Sigma 100-400 and unfortunately, it's "wide open" at 100mm if f/5. Not great but since I shoot my son playing sports as well, it's a pretty good lens for a full frame camera.

The suggestions about cropping (which seem quite common in this forum) are very helpful. I've made the same suggestions to others, but quite often have the same suggestions made to me. I normally spend about 3 seconds determining how I want to crop something, but I think I should spend more time in this area, trying different things and see what works best to drive focus to the subject itself.

Dave - I like the suggested different angle composition. Since they weren't moving, I should have explored different angles. Early in the feeding, the calf looked up a couple times. I was hoping to catch this shot, but once it really got to eating it wouldn't look up. I was on a time crunch or would have just waited it out.

Sep 02, 2017 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password