New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I have searched the net but not found and answer, help welcome

I have been using Eos Utility 2 to shoot tethered on location for ages with few issues but some of my newer cameras require Eos Utility 3

As soon as install Eos Utility 3 I get connection errors the program stutters and becomes unusable even though nothing has changed, same cabling etc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Eos Utility 3 four or more times now and the same thing happens every time

Is this a known issue? I'm using an old but ultra reliable Toshiba i7 laptop running Win7 pro, which should be entirely compatible

Please don't suggest I use a different program for tethering, Eos Utility 2 works perfectly in my workflow I don't want to change that, it just downloads the RAW files as I shoot them and they show up instantly in Breezebrowser

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I know you say you don't want to look at anything else, but there's a reason SO many pros use Capture One for reliable tethering. I can't imagine using anything else. You could use that and still point BB to that folder but you might discover why so many of us use what we use.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:39 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

As mentioned I want to use EOS Utility, I used to use C1 quite a bit but prefer Lightroom for RAW conversion

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:06 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

What model of camera are you having trouble connecting with ?

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

Clicky94 wrote:
What model of camera are you having trouble connecting with ?

All of the ones I have tried: 7D, 5D3, 200D and 80D, two old & two new

the 200D and 80D won't work with Eos Utility 2

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:46 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I do not shoot tethered very often, but I do recall when I tried v3 for the first time, I had to attach/fire up the different parts in a different (and specific) sequence. For the life of me I can't remember what the differences were (sorry!). Have you checked the video tutorials available on the internet?

Do you get specific error messages? Does it happen before or after connecting the camera?

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I'd check for USB driver updates.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:22 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

Mikehit wrote:
I do not shoot tethered very often, but I do recall when I tried v3 for the first time, I had to attach/fire up the different parts in a different (and specific) sequence. For the life of me I can't remember what the differences were (sorry!). Have you checked the video tutorials available on the internet?

Do you get specific error messages? Does it happen before or after connecting the camera?

The camera just loses connection and the program stalls, every time.
It just works perfectly with the older program
I was on location yesterday and once I had uninstalled v3 it was fine with v2

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:51 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

jcolwell wrote:
I'd check for USB driver updates.

That's a good idea, presumably they would be proprietary Toshiba or are they universal?

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I'd use System/Device Driver to locate the hardware (my desktop is Intel(R) 7 Series/...), and use the Update Driver link there.

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:09 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

jcolwell wrote:
I'd use System/Device Driver to locate the hardware (my desktop is Intel(R) 7 Series/...), and use the Update Driver link there.

Yes just did that, none of the options said anything other than it was already the best driver

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:27 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

I know V3 works perfectly on my PC running Win 7 pro using both a 50D and a 7D2 directly on a usb port but if I try to use it via a powered usb hub then it just doesn't want to know, so I would guess it is some incompatibilty with your laptop or the way the usb ports are configured.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

Clicky94 wrote:
I know V3 works perfectly on my PC running Win 7 pro using both a 50D and a 7D2 directly on a usb port but if I try to use it via a powered usb hub then it just doesn't want to know, so I would guess it is some incompatibilty with your laptop or the way the usb ports are configured.

Yes I'd agree, I have a message in to Canon UK to ask what the differences are between v2 and v3, it's very odd it just falls over as soon as v3 is started up

That said I didn't know you could actually configure a USB port, I thought it just worked

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

It sounds like a issue with computer drivers. I have no issue with V3 on my 5D MK IV or SL2 when tethering by wire or wirelessly.

I did update them to the latest version when I bought the cameras 6 weeks ago.

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:43 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Problem with Eos Utility 3, but not 2

scalesusa wrote:
It sounds like a issue with computer drivers. I have no issue with V3 on my 5D MK IV or SL2 when tethering by wire or wirelessly.

I did update them to the latest version when I bought the cameras 6 weeks ago.

You mean the computer camera drivers? How do you manually update them?

Sep 04, 2017 at 01:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.