New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

Arches
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

I know it may be heresy, but I'm curious how many of y'all would be interested in purchasing this lens if Leica or Zeiss made it. Say, roughly the same size as the 90 Summicron. I have to admit it would be the perfect walkaround/travel/backpacking lens for me. The slowness of the lens wouldn't really bother me for landscape photography and given the recent advances in sensor technology in the new M's. I'm assuming the kicker would be the price, but let's say $3995 (Leica) / $1995 (Zeiss).

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

Arches wrote:
I know it may be heresy, but I'm curious how many of y'all would be interested in purchasing this lens if Leica or Zeiss made it. Say, roughly the same size as the 90 Summicron. I have to admit it would be the perfect walkaround/travel/backpacking lens for me. The slowness of the lens wouldn't really bother me for landscape photography and given the recent advances in sensor technology in the new M's. I'm assuming the kicker would be the price, but let's say $3995 (Leica) / $1995 (Zeiss).

You do realize there is a 28, 35, 50 f/4 often called the MATE. It has some fans, but overall was never that popular and Leica took it out of production without replacing it. I wouldn't be interested in the slightly longer version as I would prefer a 35 75 combo or 28 75 combo which would get me a faster aperture without much if any increase in weight. Others might well think differently, however.

Aug 31, 2017 at 03:49 AM
Arches
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

I've bought and sold the MATE and was on the verge of buying it a second time because it comes as close to what I'm looking for as currently exists. But I'd love to have more reach on the long end as there are times when I need it (e.g., can't take a few steps forward and would involve too big of a crop). I'd also like to think that a new tri-elmar made with today's technology would have better image quality than the MATE, which is fine but not really worth the mind-boggling price it commands these days. I certainly agree with your choice of focal lengths for a two-lens solution, though.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:27 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

Put the MATE on the T? or A7r?

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

I don't know why (microlenses??) but I like the MATE on my M10 whereas I really didn't think much of it on my M9 or M.

With the EVF there's also a few very good short zooms that can be use on the M. The CY 35-70 is popular as a short zoom with great IQ.

Gordon

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:43 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

I would LOVE a Leica or Zeiss 28-50 or 35-70 to complement my 16-18-21 WATE and was really disappointed that the MATE was not the answer for the A7r. I would have thought a normal zoom would have been technically much easier than the UWA of the WATE. So yes - I would be interested in purchasing a MF Leica-M size 35-75 f/4 (or 28-50) with Leica IQ for the Sony FE. If it's SLR size then not interested as I already have the Leica and Angenieux 35-70's.

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:18 PM
mdemeyer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica/Zeiss 35-50-75 f4 for M Mount

I'd be in at $4000-$5000. Had a MATE but not really a 28mm guy and, if I have to carry two lenses anyway, might as well carry a 35/75 pair.

Sep 06, 2017 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password