Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I will be shooting a lot of HS football this season, and know that the shots look better when taken from a kneeling position. However, I am pushing 72 years old and, due to bad knees, I have difficulty in getting back up from a kneeling position. Other than standing the entire game, what do some of you in a similar situation do?

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:10 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

While I'm a few years behind you, this is what I've been using for a number of years on the soccer field. Of course I have to deal with handling the 400mm f/2.8 rig and second body a bit differently. Walkstool Comfort 45

Matt

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I don't go down on my knees anymore. I have a stool that I preposition at one end of the field (far enough away as not to get run over)... Sometimes I shoot with a 600mm that there isn't a big angle difference anyway. For night football, I use a flash on the bottom of my monopod, so I can't get low anyway.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:28 PM
PatrickE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I use the "Walkstool" as well. Works great and puts you at the right height.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I stand during the whole game. Gives me more flexibility in moving around especially when the coaches or players get in front of you unintentionally. Why make it hard on yourself. Players and parents that buy the pics don't really care whether you're shooting from a low angle or standing up.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM
R Schwarz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

Plus one for the walk stool.
I am right there with you on years years and the stool is a lifesaver. Have used it for several years.
Richard

Sep 02, 2017 at 06:23 PM
stevec333

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I went to Home Depot and got a pair of carpenter knee pads. I always carry them.

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:20 PM
stevec333

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I went to Home Depot and got a pair of carpenter knee pads. They really help.

Sep 02, 2017 at 07:24 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I use a duck hunting tripod with a seat that rotates. Much easier to follow action as it moves laterally.

Sep 03, 2017 at 09:05 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

To me, if you're in a venue that supports good backgrounds like a good stadium, the low angle is always the way to go. But, if you're at a high school type venue.. porta-pottys and parked cars wreck the shots. So shooting down (slightly) isn't coloring outside the line too bad.

I have bad everything. Can't sit on the hardwood anymore, can't kneel at the Ford Field, hell.. I can't barely make it from my car to the lower levels of an arena. I feel your pain.. literally.

But those shots cleaned up with a higher angle shouldn't be discounted. You can have THE PLAY of the game, only to have it pooched by parked cars and people walking.

Sep 09, 2017 at 12:34 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

Another vote for the Walkstool! For me, the shortest size is about equal to kneeling.
http://www.walkstool.com/presentation

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I also saw a photog using knee savers...those pads that go behind your knees that catchers wear, he was happy with them (in conjunction with the knee pads).

Nov 16, 2017 at 04:33 PM
raceroy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

Hi... I have two knee replacements and "other" issues... I have had good luck with the Walkstool and a monopod... you might also consider a Rollator and a monopod... this gives you a chair and a platform to carry your gear.....just saying .. I have been able to get around with my 600mm f4 and my 800mm f5.6 as well as my monopod and other "stuff"
Cheers and good luck!

Nov 18, 2017 at 02:13 PM
What a Ride

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

That’s exactly what I use also. The walk stool...

Mar 19, 2018 at 04:10 PM
lindathomas

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I have been playing football since childhood but unfortunately I met with an accident in the joints of my knees but I still play, but not with the same energy I face some difficulty in running and walking for long time. So I started using walk tool and yes it's very helpful and supportive. I also couldn't go to office because of my leg regularly so I started providing online writing service to USessayhelp blogspot

Mar 20, 2018 at 01:20 AM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

At premiership rugby events, nearly all the pitchside photographers used a walkstool. They worked great, highly recommended.

Mar 20, 2018 at 07:25 AM
threepairsphot

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I have trouble with my knees as well. I found these knee pads to be the best: McGuire Ortho Wrap Kneepads, They have straps top and bottom so they don't slip up down or sideways. If you have trouble getting up from kneeling then the knee pads won't help with that but they will make kneeling a lot more comfortable

Mar 20, 2018 at 03:55 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

I'm curious what size walkstool you all use....they come in 18", 22", 26" and 30" for the comfort model. How did you decide which one to get?

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:05 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

The link I suppled goes to Amazon and shows I selected the 45cm = 18" approx. I'm 5'8" and it fits me well.

Mar 23, 2018 at 07:48 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question about guys like me with bad knees.

Lots of great advice here for sure ... I'm going to try the walkstool.

I think it's also important for some of us whose knees are still working reasonably well to think about what we can do to keep it that way. One of the best pieces of photography advice I ever got was from a 30-year sports photographer vet ... "get a roller bag and use it no matter how heavy the load." He was beaten up and tilted when he walked from decades of carrying a Domke on his left shoulder. It's not a knee-saver per se -- but it certainly is a whole body wear-and-tear saver.

Also, I do try to keep my weight in check and a reasonable level of fitness.

What do other folks do -- any exercises or tips?

Mar 23, 2018 at 08:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.