Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

Haven't posted on FM in a few *ahem* months... but I thought I'd do so by asking a wedding gear question-- what are y'all using for on camera flash, lightweight off camera flash + triggers these days?

Currently using Yonguno YN-600EX-RT + Phottix Stratto triggers + remotes.
Pros: cheap, have 4 of 'em
Cons:
- Yongunos don't work on Stratto hotshoe, transmit or receive, so that forces me to use PC cables to have on camera flash + still trigger remote, and hotshoe to 1/4" headphone jack adapters at the remote flash
- Yongunos don't like my rechargable AA's, and shut off way before the charge is used up
- Flashes turn on accidentally too easily in my bag, exacerbating previous point

Just out of curiosity, what Canon-compatible flashes work when connected to the Strattos transmitter OR receiver hotshoe, while still triggering the remote? (I tried with Sigma flashes, same result- not working)

Aug 30, 2017 at 02:37 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

just get some of the godox lithium flashes with the transmitter built in.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPa4l5v_1QIV2LrACh04-w2REAQYBSABEgK6VfD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1341868

Aug 30, 2017 at 02:54 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

My strattos triggers (nikon) trigger any brand flash for me and any of my flashes work in the trigger hot shoe...

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:00 PM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

hardlyboring wrote:
just get some of the godox lithium flashes with the transmitter built in.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPa4l5v_1QIV2LrACh04-w2REAQYBSABEgK6VfD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1341868

This. The beauty of them are the li-ion batteries and the fact that you can trigger them cross brand. So if you change camera brands just get one new flash for your new camera brand and it will trigger all your past Godox v860x flashes.

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:46 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

We use the Canon RT system (ex430RT's on camera, Canon ex600RTs and Youngnuo 686RT off camera).

If you're going outside of the Canon RT protocol, Godox is the noise you can't ignore. Their latest system has cross-brand TTL triggering which is really cool. Have Canon, Nikon, and Sony shooters all on the same shoot, all tapping the same lights. THAT's a paradigm shift.

We had Stratos triggers back in the day and loved 'em. I could shoot about 50 weddings before I would stress the sandwich design (ex600 on top) and it would have to be replaced. Cost of doing business.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:01 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

I'm the same as Lee-- Canon 430 RT masters (love the weight savings versus the 600) and recently moved to YN686s for off camera. I have 0 complaints so far and have nothing but good things to say about my YNs. The savings over the Canon options bought me a used 200L.
I don't use TTL so can't comment on that.

Godox seems compelling but at this point not worth it for me to switch.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:14 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

Ahh, wish I could have been the first reply because I could have summarized every response before it happened. Basically Godox v860II/AD200 setups and everyone else using Canon native stuff. Anything else at this point is pretty much more trouble than it is worth. I know this and I don't even shoot Canon .

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:23 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

To me, TTL implies 2-way communication with master and slave so (in addition to auto exposure), ratios can be adjusted remotely. Even if you don't use TTL (it's quick good in casual shooting situations or grand entrances), you can take complete manual control, remotely.

The Stratos is essentially a garage-door opener - it just sends one signal - ON - and the flash fires. If you want to change a power setting, you're walking over to the slave flash/light.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

Canon shooter working Cheetahstand 860VCII & XT1 transmitter.

I have full output control on camera.
Love the XT1 transmitter.... switches over to HSS automatically.

Main Flashes: 860VC & AD200's
I have a CL180 as backup. another CL 180 & 360 for big lighting/backup
Canon 600 (2x) for getting ready stuff.

-Mark

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:15 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

I switched to three Canon 600EX RT Mark II's a few weeks ago from six 580EX II's that I used with the Phottix Odin system.

I got the three 600's via a decent grey importer that cost me on £349 per unit. They are ridiculously high from main dealers in the UK at £529 per unit. One on-cam to work the other two off-cam would fit most of my needs. I considered an ST-E3-RT as well to run all three off-cam but that unit could not be had at a decent price. Since then I've added a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT which is only £60, seems robust, and bests the Canon version as it can do low light focus assist whereas the Canon does not. Note: the current Yongnuo DOES WORK WITH FOCUS ASSIST with the Canon 5D Mark IV and the 5DS-R - its previous versions up to mid 2016 could not do so unless it had a factory hardware upgrade.

I like very much that I do not have to use separate transmitters and receivers even though the Odin has excellent performance.

The Odin always had a downside in that the units are transmitters and receivers, NOT transceivers. Therefore you could not have a transmitter and a gun on the same body unless you use a bracket. However this Andoer dual hot shoe splitter can get around it up to a point:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0192QNWQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No the Andoer splitter does not do two ETTL's at the same time. You put the Odin transmitter into the left (main) shoe and that controls the transmitter exactly as it should. You put an Odin receiver and gun into the right shoe and it fires just as it does anywhere else off-cam.

OK the Andoer is a bracket of sorts but its small and lightweight and has ETTL to one shoe at a time; much more usable than a thumping great iron bracket screwed to the body's tripod mount.

I'm finding the 600's are quicker to recycle than my old 580EX II's, and more powerful - but they would be more powerful than my old and well-used 580's. The over-heating safety works well. I had been using some Godox PB960 lithium external packs but really there's little point as the Eneloop AA's in my 600's recycle fast and the guns would have to slow down due to heat anyway regardless of whether its via AA's or Lithium packs.

I'm not interested in internal lithium batteries for guns until such time as Canon might fit an LP-E6 into a gun. I have far to many varieties of batteries already because of my video work so AA's used in as many bits of kit as possible is fine with me.

Pete

Edited on Aug 30, 2017 at 08:43 PM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

I've been on the Phottix Mitros+ for a few years and I'm a fan. I have 4 of them and also the 1st Gen Odin transmitter which I use a lot. Will possibly move to Godox when I move to Nikon in the next 6 months, but nothing really compels me other than people talking of bad experiences with Phottix+Nikon.

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:43 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

I'm with Ziffe3. The Cheetah/Godox system is really reliable. Using the SD200's with the x1 a couple of the V860XC for when I want on camera flash but still control my off camera lighting. Also have a couple of the 360X (May be selling one of those since getting the 200s they get little to no use) also use the 600TTL version for when you really need extra power. Lots of options for power and portability all working together.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:20 PM
KSgal

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

Godox/Cheetah system (or the adorama equivalent) systems are pretty much what everyone is going to, you can have speedlights, strobes, ettl, remote manual, lithium ion vs batteries, a very flexible system that can flex to your needs without additional triggers on everything. I'm going to ditch my yn trigger + manual flash system and invest in this system as well, keep my yn triggers for my current strobes.

Link below has a great image on the page showing all the combinations:
http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/comment-page-1/

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:01 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

I used : Godox V860C-II, AD200, AD600, and trigger X1T-C
Canon 600EX-RT becomes my backup now (I have only one).

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:39 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

2 x 600EX
2 x YN-600EX (knockoffs)
1 x 430EXIII
2 x ST-E3RT triggers

Overall its a very solid system. The Canon 600s are flawless. Somewhat short-ranged outside, but no other weaknesses. The knockoff 600s overheat outdoors in the heat so I only use them as reception flashes. The 430exIII overheat ridiculously easy - even when firing at 1/16th power at a reception I only get maybe 20 minutes out of them. For an occasional pop they are fine, but heavy performance is poor. I've had the 430 completely fail to fire at key points in the past due to thermal shutdown, so it's on my dirt list right now.

I've considered the Godox units, but the fact that you can't trigger the Canon flashes with their trigger (nor their flashes with Canon's trigger) limits the appeal for me. I'm not willing to dump all of my Canon flashes just because the Godox's have a better battery system. If I shot with any other brand, my decision would probably be different though. The Canon 600s are just too good to give up for an unknown entity at this point.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:43 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

deepbluejh wrote:
I've considered the Godox units, but the fact that you can't trigger the Canon flashes with their trigger (nor their flashes with Canon's trigger) limits the appeal for me. I'm not willing to dump all of my Canon flashes just because the Godox's have a better battery system. If I shot with any other brand, my decision would probably be different though. The Canon 600s are just too good to give up for an unknown entity at this point.

If you sell your Canon flashes you will have enough money to pay for your Godox units and be able to trigger them cross platform. If you ever have a 2nd who shoots with a different brand than you all they will need is either an XT1 or a v860x in their brand to trigger them. So it's more than just the battery.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

MRomine wrote:
If you sell your Canon flashes you will have enough money to pay for your Godox units and be able to trigger them cross platform. If you ever have a 2nd who shoots with a different brand than you all they will need is either an XT1 or a v860x in their brand to trigger them. So it's more than just the battery.

The XT1 receiver will trigger the canon flash, if needed, with full TTL. I use a combination of Godox 860 and Canon ex600 units and all adjustable from the XTI transmitter. And throw a Godox AD600 into the mix if I was so inclined.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:54 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

It's difficult to find documentation on exactly what will and won't work with a mixed system. Bottom line is that there is no reason for me to sell something that works perfectly for something that works imperfectly (just to save a few dollars). There needs to be some kind of benefit beyond a better battery system.

How is the outdoor range on these things? I get maybe 40-50 feet with the Canon and Yongnuos. Are the Godox units any better?

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:11 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

As you've found, it's not THAT compelling an argument to leave the Canon RT system — especially now that there are big moonlights that receive the RT signal.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:22 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flash + Triggers (for canon)- what are y'all using?

deepbluejh wrote:
It's difficult to find documentation on exactly what will and won't work with a mixed system. Bottom line is that there is no reason for me to sell something that works perfectly for something that works imperfectly (just to save a few dollars). There needs to be some kind of benefit beyond a better battery system.

How is the outdoor range on these things? I get maybe 40-50 feet with the Canon and Yongnuos. Are the Godox units any better?

40-50' sucks....

try shooting across a pond .. about 100 yards.
ah..... try using the AD 200. 3x time the power of a speed light. Basically the same size as speedlight when flatten out.
wireless 2.4GHz, lithium battery.... kit from cheetah comes with grid/barn doors and 4 gels.
It also has a changeable flash head. Standard flash, the bare bulb head. I will ask Ed about an LED head. That is pretty versatile.

But really... we all need to work with what gets the job done.

-Mark

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password