FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

D850 has my attention

Mikehit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · D850 has my attention

Thank you for your response, Canadamark - if the D850 does indeed show the same performance as the D5 then that is indeed impressive.
I totally agree with your comments about fps - on a curve of continual development it is tricky to say when a parameter becomes significantly different and 'significant' will mean different things to different people. But in the context of comments over the last few months, it is not only when it would mean an advance but also and advance worth stumping up the money to get it.

But my comments with regards the power management also relate to driving big lenses - the 5D4 and 1Dx2 are almost indistinguishable until you want to add it to a 500mm/600mm prime and use a 2tc as opposed to a bare lens or 1.4 teleconverter. All the AF progamming is useless if it cannot drive the lens quickly enough. And the battery of the 5D4 just cannot deliver the power for that in the way the batter of the 1Dx2 can - and I assume that is why you need the grip and battery of the D5 battery to achieve the same results, and by the time you get that the cost of the combo is approaching that of the 1Dx2/D5. But at least you do have the options and I totally understand what you say about third party options offering the same advance at a cheaper price. But do you really think Nikon intended that as a solution? And in that respect I look on Nikon's intentions based on the equipment they plan you to buy.

As I say, the D850 is an intriguing proposition and it will be interesting to see how it pans out in the market place and see if it gives them the boost in market share they so desperately need.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:26 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · D850 has my attention

The one thing better on the 7D2 than the 1DX was that all points were X-type. Still the 1DX system blew it out of the water but if you were using the far outer columns the 7D2 sometimes could focus better on a static subject but overall it was nowhere close in actual performance.

The 1DX2 is noticeably better with f/8 combos over the 5D4. Also it's red points lighting system is second to none....that is one of my favourite things with my 1DX2.

Brad Hill has noted in his reviews between D500 and D5 that the D5 did have better AF. Obviously this is always a subjective opinion. However in his brief D850 review preview he notes the D850 is more like the D5 in his opinion.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:34 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · D850 has my attention

arbitrage wrote:
The one thing better on the 7D2 than the 1DX was that all points were X-type. Still the 1DX system blew it out of the water but if you were using the far outer columns the 7D2 sometimes could focus better on a static subject but overall it was nowhere close in actual performance.

The 7D2 also had a more sensitive center AF point in single shot mode (-3.0EV vs -2.0) but in either case you lose a lot of sensitivity (1.0EV) as soon as you switch to servo AF which is the case with all Canons. Further, the 1DX drops to only -0.5EV sensitivity above 10fps. I think the 7D2 had a better iTR implementation than the 1DX as well with the 50% higher resolution RGB meter, but iTR in general I don't think is very popular. It had Large Zone AF as well and I don't think that was on the 1DX but my memory is getting pretty thin that far back.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:13 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · D850 has my attention

For those that care: A Nikon D800/810, D500 and D850 becomes 90% + the form factor and weight of the integral large battery D5. You have a big heavy camera-great for verticals, larger lenses and tripod work.

The EN-EL18a/b is a huge beefy battery with more voltage to drive the D850 motor and the capacity to maintain that voltage for 9 fps. I have never been able to put much of a dent in one during 1000 or more frames.

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password