FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Hunting Hornet

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hunting Hornet

I went into the garden and immediately saw a large Yellow & Black insect patroling some of our climbing plants. At first, I thought it was a Volucella zonaria, our largest hoverfly. However, it was too huge, even for that. It landed, facing me, and the antennae were definitely of a wasp, avery large one, a hornet..

I grabbed my camera and watched for it to land again but it did not.

A bit later, I found an attractive moth in deep shade elsewhere in the garden. Flash was impractical, as the moth was surrounded by bramble foliage. So I used ISO 1600 and smaller apertures than I would have preferred,

As I got to where I had seen the hornet earlier, it flew past me, carrying a prey insect, and into the shade of a shrub, landing at about the height of my garage roof. My lens was the Olympus 4/3 50mm macro and, even with the x2TC behind it, the hornet was small in the frame. I took one shot then went to fetch my 100-400mm. When I returned, the hornet had gone.

Here is a crop, followed by the uncropped image.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:29 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hunting Hornet

Nice Harold ~ Ron

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:08 AM
Rob Tracy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hunting Hornet

Good stuff. Massive hornet. The other weekend I was sneaking up on a horse fly and spooked it. A large hornet slightly smaller in size and hairy grabbed it mid flight and carried it off into the swamp.

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:38 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hunting Hornet

That is a large hornet Harold. Nice shots.

Birdie

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:50 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hunting Hornet

surfnron wrote:
Nice Harold ~ Ron

Rob Tracy wrote:
Good stuff. Massive hornet. The other weekend I was sneaking up on a horse fly and spooked it. A large hornet slightly smaller in size and hairy grabbed it mid flight and carried it off into the swamp.

birdied wrote:
That is a large hornet Harold. Nice shots.

Birdie

Thanks, everyone.

Harold

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.