Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

hvu2012
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

I just wonder which wb you use with flash indoor, especially in the room with mix lighting and window light? I mean do you use Kelvin and adjust it accordingly

In my situation, I have to adjust Kelvin from one room to another, even in one room but different corner as WB is not consistent. I don't use AWB. the only time i use CTO gel is when the room filled with tungsten light.

thanks.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:43 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

3458,583 K

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:58 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

Typically on the D3s it will be anywhere between 5500 and 6000k indoors with off camera flash.
I do not use any on camera flash indoors. We are always custom WB.

Aug 30, 2017 at 09:11 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

In RAW, its auto white balance almost always. No reason to change it really unless you're having trouble "visualizing" your shot due to funky color.

And to directly answer your question... "It depends".

It depends on the ratios of the light you are mixing as well as the color temperature of each light. Pure flashed light is 5500-5600K, but once you start to mix it with ambient light, that number can go all the way down into the low 3xxx kelvin range - depending on the ratio of ambient and flashed light.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:48 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

Here are a few rules of thumb...

Low light domestic lighting (dimmed?) - often as low as 2600K
Domestic style lighting only -usually about 3000K
Half daylight and half domestic tungsten - about 4300K
Pure daylight - 5600K ish
Slightly more northern/southern hemispheres, daylight can be 6300K ish

For flash in low level lighting I'll pop on either a 2x CTO gel or a 1.5 CTO gel
Stage lighting / modern fluorescent I'll use a single CTO gel
If daylight is having an effect on the ambient I'll use a 1/2 CTO gel

I prefer to have slightly cooler backgrounds so I tend to err on the side of warmer gels on flash than perhaps some may prefer.

Experience will tell what colour the ambient is, (although our eyes are good at fooling us).

One method I know people sometimes use is to switch to live-view and manually dial in a colour temp that looks right on the screen, and that is the colour of the ambient - but of course you have to trust your LCD screen, and they're often not so accurate.

RAW allows you to fine tune WB, but wit the combination of flash, it is important to get the flash balanced with gels to your taste.

Aug 31, 2017 at 02:22 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

With Nikon cameras and Nikon speedlights I get the best results with Auto WB and the camera does an excellent job of working with multiple light sources of differing color temps. With Canon I used to gel the flash and go with 3200K indoors. But it is changing now with all the various LED light being used and then the dreaded CFL lamps. All the more reason to always shoot RAW.

Sep 04, 2017 at 02:42 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

Indoor "with flash?" Doesn't that kinda answer the question? I would assume the flash is on the subject; no?

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:10 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

I think OP is asking when the light is mixed-- such as at reception, etc.

As others have pointed out, it should be some kind of weighted average between your flash at ~5500k and the ambient which is often ~3000k, depending on the ratio of each light source to the total luminance.

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

Sounds a lot more like a lighting balance issue for the OP.

I've never seen a need of "averaging". You just pull it back in post for the subject; assuming it's been illuminated with the flash. One would still revert to the flash's kelvin... that being 5500, or whatever gel you used on the flash.

Adjustments in post beyond that are up to artist's interpretation. (warming, cooling, etc.) If you're using the same flash/subject setup (including light balance and exposure) in different rooms, your WB should remain constant for that flash/gel. If you're changing gels/subject lighting/balance, then you change WBs as needed.

This is Photography Common Sense 101. Seems like there are a lot of people here making it much harder than it really is. That leads me to believe many do not pay much attention to actual balance of light. AWB is usually the way to go, unless you gel. If the cam knows there is a flash, it will default to 5500. If you're running manual, then set manually. If you've added a gel, you need to set that manually as well.

This is really basic foundational knowledge.

Sep 04, 2017 at 05:40 PM
swainsons
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

Daylight.... Kinda mostly, with bounce flash, if surfaces are white.... Renders nicely.

Never AUTO, hate it.

When off camera and time on my side I will fiddle in live view till I get what I want.

Regards

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:01 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which WB you use for indoor with flash?

swainsons wrote:
Daylight.... Kinda mostly, with bounce flash, if surfaces are white.... Renders nicely.

Never AUTO, hate it.

If AWB is not consistent, then it sounds like you're running manual triggers. In your case, you should be setting WB manually. That would be based on gels, or colors of bounced surfaces.

Sep 06, 2017 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.