Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Mike Jacks0n
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

The excessive CA was the reason I lost interest in the lens, but if you don't mind processing that out it maybe it's the lens for you. I just don't like the idea of rewarding certain optical flaws, especially when makers like Tamron, Sigma, and Sony are able to match, if not improve the formula for a similar or lower price. Granted, the Art isn't an "apples to apples" comparison because of the IS, but it and the Zeiss are likely a fair bit more superior in optics. Maybe this was an attempt to "protect" sales again...IDK. I just felt like value wasn't all there. Maybe I'll change my mind when I can get it on my camera, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:58 PM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Mike Jacks0n wrote:
The excessive CA was the reason I lost interest in the lens, but if you don't mind processing that out it maybe it's the lens for you. I just don't like the idea of rewarding certain optical flaws, especially when makers like Tamron, Sigma, and Sony are able to match, if not improve the formula for a similar or lower price. Granted, the Art isn't an "apples to apples" comparison because of the IS, but it and the Zeiss are likely a fair bit more superior in optics. Maybe this was an attempt to "protect" sales again...IDK. I just
...Show more

IS, snappy (so the initial reports indicate) first party AF, a pound lighter, and common filter size for $400 premium over the S85A?

Sounds like one of the better value propositions in the history of Canon L glass.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:44 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

mb126 wrote:
IS, snappy (so the initial reports indicate) first party AF, a pound lighter, and common filter size for $400 premium over the S85A?

Sounds like one of the better value propositions in the history of Canon L glass.

To each their own, I'm not trying to talk people out of buying it. It just doesn't fit the criteria I set for spending my hard earned money.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:52 PM
Maximilian
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

mb126 wrote:

a pound lighter? I read in the specs it's 170 gr lighter, which is closer to a third of a pound.

Nov 03, 2017 at 08:48 PM
IbisTW

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

I never preorder anything, but this lens is definitely high on my wishlist. I've just recently ordered the 70-200 f2.8 mkII. Once my wallet recovers from the hit, next in line will be the 16-35 f2.8 mkIII. With those two zooms out of the way, the 85 f1.4 is next in line but it will have to wait for a while xD

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:41 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Although there is certainly a degree of some CA in particular lighting situatiions, my experience with the lens so far have been good. It’s very sharp, well built and the AF is very fast and accurate, also on outer points (tried some tests at 1.4 in dim conditions on outer points which is a good stress test and it passed with flying colors).

This will be a working horse in many photographers bags for sure.

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:05 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Mike Jacks0n wrote:
The excessive CA was the reason I lost interest in the lens

We have a fast, AF 85mm lens that has even moderately better CA performance? Where?

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:10 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

johnctharp wrote:
We have a fast, AF 85mm lens that has even moderately better CA performance? Where?

Agree, 100%. I will test this pretty thoroughly I think against the S85A and original 85L when mine comes in.

Nov 04, 2017 at 08:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Mike Jacks0n wrote:
The excessive CA was the reason I lost interest in the lens, but if you don't mind processing that out it maybe it's the lens for you. I just don't like the idea of rewarding certain optical flaws, especially when makers like Tamron, Sigma, and Sony are able to match, if not improve the formula for a similar or lower price. Granted, the Art isn't an "apples to apples" comparison because of the IS, but it and the Zeiss are likely a fair bit more superior in optics. Maybe this was an attempt to "protect" sales again...IDK. I just
...Show more

Did Canon decide not to use the Blue-ray element for some reason?
I have no use for such a lens, but I would pass of it anyway.

EBH

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Lynda
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

I have the Sig 85mm Art lens. Fast and tack sharp but the bokeh if not the best plus it's heavy (for me).

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:58 AM
fplstudio
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

I am not particularly thrilled by this lens, at least from the first samples seen around and early reports.
The IS is great but not a real necessity for me on a 85mm.
Hope that real world reviews can show same class performance of 85 ii and S85A.

Edited on Nov 06, 2017 at 07:16 AM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:28 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

it certainly is in line for me - as far as I am concerned, it’s allround the best 85 for C currently available

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:00 AM
jacob29

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

The CA is pretty bad on the Canon gutted!. They didn't use the coating from 35mm why?

evertdoorn wrote:
Did a wide open shootout vs the Tamron (tripod, live view focus, default LR preset although no correction profile for Canon yet of course). Canon is winning here at least. And outer AF points (an issue with some sigma's) work great.

For my use this is the best 85 option for Canon as of now

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32582.0;attach=172081;image

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Johnny McClung
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Any 85 1.2 vii users want to share their thoughts on how these two compare? I'm not sure if I would make the jump, but it's tempting to lose some weight and gain IS.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:33 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

I’m just trying to figure out why I need IS? Frankly, a built in ND filter seems like it would be more useful.

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:54 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

evertdoorn wrote:
Did a wide open shootout vs the Tamron (tripod, live view focus, default LR preset although no correction profile for Canon yet of course). Canon is winning here at least. And outer AF points (an issue with some sigma's) work great.

For my use this is the best 85 option for Canon as of now

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32582.0;attach=172081;image

jacob29 wrote:
The CA is pretty bad on the Canon gutted!. They didn't use the coating from 35mm why?

You talking about the blue spectrum refractive elements? its not a coating..

And the tamron shot doesnt include the hilites with the ca...

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:58 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

anselwannab wrote:
I’m just trying to figure out why I need IS? Frankly, a built in ND filter seems like it would be more useful.

low light slow moving things?

normal shooting hh is what 1/100th say for 85mm

This you can hh at 1/25th or slower.

hmmm

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM
yauyi
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

RobDickinson wrote:
You talking about the blue spectrum refractive elements? its not a coating..

And the tamron shot doesnt include the hilites with the ca...

Since Canon said the 1.4 is not meant to replace the 1.2 MK2, I have a feeling they're strategically saving the BR Optics for the future 1.2 MK3.

Nov 16, 2017 at 02:43 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

yauyi wrote:
Since Canon said the 1.4 is not meant to replace the 1.2 MK2, I have a feeling they're strategically saving the BR Optics for the future 1.2 MK3.

Good point! Good is too that I'm reasonably happy with my Takumar 85/1.9 for now! They are gonna ask dough for that mark III... :-/

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Who else has ordered the new 85mm lens?

Johnny McClung wrote:
Any 85 1.2 vii users want to share their thoughts on how these two compare? I'm not sure if I would make the jump, but it's tempting to lose some weight and gain IS.

And AF speed.

Nov 16, 2017 at 04:30 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.