Canon to Fuji and back to Canon

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon to Fuji and back to Canon

molson wrote:
Check out this article on the subject of Fuji sensor flare and grid artefacts:

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/

I get a 404 error when trying to reach that page. I rented and tested a Fuji XE2s last weekend. I only rented the kit zoom, but one of the tests a ran was to try to induce sensor flare and grid artifacts. I was unable to create either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I think for my kind of shooting and after having shot over 3K images on three different Fuji models, the problem will not be serious enough to rule out the Fuji.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:51 PM
CW100
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon to Fuji and back to Canon

molson wrote:
Check out this article on the subject of Fuji sensor flare and grid artefacts:

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/

interesting, the Fuji colors also seem a little off

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon to Fuji and back to Canon

Pfisch907 wrote:
In the eyes of the internet and it's amazing ability to paint everything as black or white, it seems, right now, Fuji is the greatest thing ever and Canon is dog shit. Speaking from my own experience, I recently bought into the hype and switched out my 5D Mark III for an X-T2 along with a 56 1.2 and 23 1.4. Amazing lenses, amazing camera, amazing images, but they don't hold a candle to the image quality of full frame. It's just a fact. Yes, in terms of technical features the Fuji is way ahead of my old Mark III,
...Show more

For my part, I regard the Fujifilm and Canon systems as being complementary more than as being alternatives, at least for my photography. A full frame Canon 5DsR is my primary system for some work, especially that which I may want to print quite large and for which I can (mostly) shoot from the tripod. A Fujifilm system is my primary system for street and travel photography, where I mostly shoot handheld and often (but not always) use primes.

Horses for courses and all that... ;-)

By the way, I've exposed many tens of thousands of frames on several Fujfilm cameras and I simply haven't encountered the so-called grid and flare "problems" that some seem to regard as ubiquitous. I'm not saying that they don't exist... somewhere... in some conditions. But they sure cannot be common or I would have encountered them. (Or maybe I'm careful to not put the sun directly in the frame right next to my backlit subjects, a circumstance that will create a whole bunch of problems on any camera and which we would typically avoid. But that's just me!)

I'm not insensitive to such things. For example, early on I was able to find occasional evidence of the "smearing" issue where the color of one area could sometimes bleed over into an adjacent area. It was never an issue in a print, and I don't see it on newer Fujifilm cameras like my XPro2. I am also aware that there are some conditions in which sharpening of green vegetation with more or less random details can produce some slight artifacts that may be visible at 100% magnification, especially if the ideal sharpening settings are not used.

It is tricky to sort out these internet reports of problems. You can find them for every camera brand and model if you look around enough. That could mean any of the following: no camera is perfect, by looking hard enough one can find a problem with anything, someone needs to try some different operational or post-processing options, etc.

Edited on Sep 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:19 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon to Fuji and back to Canon

My mate is an x photographer full time commercial fuji shooter.

Had a recent image trashed by the grid issue, contacted fuji (again) about it, their response, try shooting to avoid it. ...

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:21 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password