New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Second Year with the Leica M System

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Cross posting for the Alt-Gear Crowd!

Greetings all! In July 2015 I bought a Leica M Monochrom and absolutely fell in love. I used it exclusively for all of my personal work for that year and posted the results in this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441283

I just completed my second year of exclusively shooting with the Leica M system. I'm loving more than ever. It has truly been the one system that I enjoy picking up every time I use it. In this year, I tried out the Leica M9, Leica M240, and most recently, the M246 Monochrom (while the original Monochrom is at Leica for a sensor replacement).

I've been documenting my family grow for about 12 years now, and the past two years have been the most fun...I'd like to think it's in large part due to the M system.

All thoughts welcomed! I'm going to post images from last July through the current day in order.

2 M9

4 M240

5 M240

6 M240

9 M240

11 (Selfie with Tripod and Timer)

19 (selfie)

All images below with the M246 Monochrom

39 (taken by the wife)

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:29 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Year with the Leica M System

I love your style Chuck. These are all amazing! Memories to last forever....

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Year with the Leica M System

canerino wrote:
Cross posting for the Alt-Gear Crowd!

Greetings all! In July 2015 I bought a Leica M Monochrom and absolutely fell in love. I used it exclusively for all of my personal work for that year and posted the results in this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441283

I just completed my second year of exclusively shooting with the Leica M system. I'm loving more than ever. It has truly been the one system that I enjoy picking up every time I use it. In this year, I tried out the Leica M9, Leica M240, and most recently, the M246 Monochrom (while the original Monochrom is
...Show more

Enjoy the whole set. The camera you picked define your shooting style, verse vesa. Congratulation you have found perfect tool for your creativity.

No feature set nor AF will give you better results than well prepared eyes and refined shooting skill.

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:08 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Chuck really good stuff. You have found the right tool for sure. These are just terrific. Well seen and shot.

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:10 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Year with the Leica M System

My story is sort of similar - I started off into the M system in a bit unusual way - I bought M lenses first to work with them on my A7R digital camera (which I am still doing). After a year I got a really good deal for darkroom equipment, and I started - again the other way around - first printing silver gelatin prints from digital negatives. I enjoyed this so much and loved the print results that I was curious to test with traditional B&W film. I used for a while my old Canon Rebel SLR but didn't like the small viewfinder. Since I already had some good M glass at this point, I looked online and found a good deal for a M6 (non TTL). I was blown away when I developed my first B&W negatives taken with this camera and making prints with them. Now I was really hooked! More opportunities opened up for me because friends of mine heard what I was doing - I got more good darkroom equipment plus 4x5 large format camera, and I also ended up with a M7 and recently with a M3 camera. I shoot with my rangefinder cameras much more often now than with any other camera system I own. The only thing where I couldn't jump into yet is Leica digital M. I tested the M9 once in a store and felt fairly disappointed comparing it with my M6 and its viewfinder. I also once used the monochrome M during an Expo, really loved the monochrome image quality, but I couldn't justify the investment. I also have fun exploring different kind of films, changing development procedures - so film is it for me currently regarding B&W photography.

Good thing with Leica is that it still provides choices and support in cameras both for film and digital.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:24 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Great images!

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:58 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Thanks all! I love the encouragement from the members of this forum!

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:43 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Your pictures are excellent on so many levels. What struck me on this viewing is how you've been able to capture different aspects of the relationship between your three boys. And thank you for the link to the thread in the People forum where you wrote:

What I like most about shooting a rangefinder camera is that the viewfinder has 'framelines' in it. Anything inside the framelines will be in the image, anything outside will not. This has really inspired me to shoot a way that I always want to shoot...frame a scene and wait for critical elements to enter in and out of the framelines. At this point, it all just become a matter of timing. It really forces me to commit to a composition. I like that.

The framing and timing of so many of your photographs exemplify how consistently you've adhered to this way of working.

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Wow I love these! Talk about giving the feeling of freezing a moment in time.
By the way, that dog (pic #40?) is giving you the most incredible stink eye!

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:47 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Awesome work! Thank you for sharing Chuck!

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:37 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Yes, incredible work as usual Chuck!
Thanks for sharing and glad you are still enjoying your Leica M!

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:39 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second Year with the Leica M System

genji wrote:
Your pictures are excellent on so many levels. What struck me on this viewing is how you've been able to capture different aspects of the relationship between your three boys. And thank you for the link to the thread in the People forum where you wrote:

The framing and timing of so many of your photographs exemplify how consistently you've adhered to this way of working.

Thank you so much for the kind words and insight! Much appreciated!!

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Desmolicious wrote:
Wow I love these! Talk about giving the feeling of freezing a moment in time.
By the way, that dog (pic #40?) is giving you the most incredible stink eye!

Haha. For sure. She always does!

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Thanks Ed and Wayne! I always appreciate your words!!

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Second Year with the Leica M System

Awesome storytelling, Chuck. Loved every frame.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password