FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Year Two with a Rangefinder

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

formula4speed wrote:
You're my hero, and I hate you. I have to go throw away all the camera gear now...

Are 34/35 Brandywine? I'm always looking for creek/river to wander around/through.

Hahah! Dont do that! You make me laugh!

Ashland Nature Center! Great spot. We love it there. I'll let you know next time we go! Come hang!

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:44 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

southwoodlaker wrote:
Wonderful photos, they are precious. Wondering what lenses you got?

Thank you!

These were shot with either the 35 Summicron ASPH or the 50mm Summicron v5

Sep 01, 2017 at 12:06 PM
brick33308
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

you'll look back at these photos down the road and be even more happy with them that you are now! for what it's worth, like you I'm drawn to candid street work (although of strangers not family). I found my way to the Leica Q and am just blown away with its portability, versatility, exceptional image quality and above all fastest auto focus on the planet. I considered the M, but in the end elected to not have to fiddle with auto focus. I went on a Christmas market cruise last December and used the manual focus Zeiss ZM 35/1.4. It performed brilliantly (https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2016-12-Budapest-Danube-River/) but in the end I it was my first and last experiment with manual focus. If you ever decide to go autofocus and want to stick with Leica, I heartily recommend the Q.

Sep 01, 2017 at 02:31 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Brick, learning to use the DoF scales takes time and practice. I learned how to do it when shooting with 500 C/Ms and having to shoot in dark rooms. Those focusing screens were dark, Even the so called bright screens so in those situations mastering the DoF scales was a necessity. It is a discipline but once mastered is a great tool when using manual focus lenses. And manual focus is so much easier with an M that it is with a DSLR. If you want to do color street you should give the M 10 a spin. For B&W street work the MM is king. I don't think Chuck should change anything he is doing except to take that MM on the streets. Definitely he should keep documenting his family (something I wish I had done), and like I said earlier, take those visual sensitivities to the streets.

Sep 01, 2017 at 03:26 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Gorgeous stuff Chuck. I'm rarely on here anymore, but great to see how well you are still documenting your family. Everyone looks good and your boys are getting so big.
Best,
Dave

Sep 01, 2017 at 06:23 PM
incrediblehark
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Nice work. I love the B&W's from the Monochrome 246....

Sep 09, 2017 at 01:47 AM
huddy
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Great set Chuck. Having seen your family pictures ever since I started reading and learning from The Family Photojournalist blog so many years ago, I think you could shoot with a Brownie or 4x5 and still take great family photos The Leica M system is definitely capable for this type of shooting and you've definitely mastered it. The MM/M246 shots are simply subperb B&W (coming from someone who shoots an M6TTL and TriX). The boys sure have grown over the years... how time flies!

Thank you for sharing!

Sep 10, 2017 at 04:34 AM
petr vokurek
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Beautiful set of photos! I really love this kind of personal family stuff sensitively photographed. The only thing I donīt get is why did you include the colour photos? Not a criticism, just wondering...if anything they distract from the bw photos...

Sep 10, 2017 at 05:17 PM
chrismiller

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

I love these. The density is wonderful, the technical quality is outstanding. What's best, though, is that each one has a story, or two,... or more.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Wow! Thank you all! What an honor! And I TRULY appreciate your kind words and feedback. FM was literally THE resource that I used to become adept at photography!

Petr, thanks for the feedback! This wasn't necessarily a portfolio presentation, but rather for me to share my experiences with the Leica M system, something that is truly different than what most use. I used four different M cameras this past year, M Monochrom, M9, M240, M246 Monochrom. I do prefer black and white (obviously), but I thought I'd share the color images that I liked with those cameras.

Sep 11, 2017 at 06:44 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

excellent job on the B&W's

Sep 12, 2017 at 08:16 AM
Dave 1234
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

What a wonderful collection of fantastic pictures. You have captured such a slice of your family's life.

I am also wondering if you needed a Leica to capture these images as opposed to a good Canon or Nikon camera. Of course, if given the choice, I would choose the Leica, too. . .

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:22 AM
kp_duffy

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

amazing work - always love your images - they ALL tell stories.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:55 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Hi Chuck, I'm not normally around the people forum but I remember seeing your first thread and just love the second one too. You've got a great eye and a cooperative, photogenic family to work with. Super nice work!

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:04 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

Dave 1234 wrote:
What a wonderful collection of fantastic pictures. You have captured such a slice of your family's life.

I am also wondering if you needed a Leica to capture these images as opposed to a good Canon or Nikon camera. Of course, if given the choice, I would choose the Leica, too. . .

Many thanks again!

Dave,

Thanks for your input. The short, logical, direct answer to your question is 'no, i do not need a leica to make these shots'. I shoot Nikon professionally and have shot Canon, Fuji, and Sony. But to be honest (and this is why people hate on Leica photographers...because we stay corny shit like this), I've never been so connected to a camera as I have with a Leica. Haha. There it is. The philosophical, immeasurable, mumbojumbo BS. But that is the reality for me. Shooting through the viewfinder with rangefinder focusing mechanisms really limits you in a lot of ways and forces you to understand these limitations. It forces the photographer to adapt to get the shot. I believe these adaptations that I've made has made me a 'better' photographer. Rather than worrying about camera settings, I really focus on what I believe to be the essence of photography: where do you want the elements in the frame and when do you want to press the shutter.

Sure you can do that with any camera, but it seems like the Leica was made to exist that way.

On top of it all, I simply enjoy the process of making photos with a Leica more than any camera I've ever used!

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:20 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

canerino wrote:
But to be honest (and this is why people hate on Leica photographers...because we stay corny shit like this), I've never been so connected to a camera as I have with a Leica. Haha. There it is. The philosophical, immeasurable, mumbojumbo BS. But that is the reality for me. Shooting through the viewfinder with rangefinder focusing mechanisms really limits you in a lot of ways and forces you to understand these limitations. On top of it all, I simply enjoy the process of making photos with a Leica more than any camera I've ever used!

I concur with Chuck.

I've been shooting with a Leica rangefinder since 1967, when my teenage job was working for a local TV station that used them for copy work and general photography. Back then, local stations used slides for ads and local tags on commercials.

Shooting with a rangefinder Leica is not for the faint of heart, especially in this day of auto-everything. It takes awhile to get used to shooting with one, but when you do, you reach a zen-like oneness with the camera (more immeasurable, mumbojumbo BS). People talk of the "Leica look". I think it has to do as much with a different mindset as it has to do with lens design or any of the other things folks believe make up the "Leica look".

At the risk of eliciting chants of Heresy! Blasphemy! from other Leicaphiles, I have to report that I have found a couple of cameras that comes pretty darn close to the same experience: the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2s. This is not coincidental (see the M3-X100 comparison photos below). Yes, I'm aware of the myriads of differences, but the overall shooting experience, especially with the X-Pro2, was very Leica like, based on shooting with both at the same time.

From the front

From the top

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:28 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Year Two with a Rangefinder

I have shot with fuji both the Xpro100 and 200 and I prefer Leica M over both. For one FF is an issue for me. I need it. Fuji are really nice cameras and many love them including a good friend of mine. For the way I see and work I would take an M9, MM or M-E over the fuji, with all of those early digital Leica quirks and all. The M 10 is in an entirely different league all together from those early digital Leicas. Many others might completely find that the Leica and rangefinders in general are not for them. Nice to have real choices.

I, like, Chuck so prefer Leica M over everything else out there that I completely switched from Canon to Leica M a while back, even for my professional work. My only regret was that I waited so long....

Again great work Chuck and you have elevated this type of work way beyond the norm. Finding equipment that best fits the way one sees and works, whatever that may be, can truly take ones work to a different level by not hindering ones vision.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password