New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

impatience

KathyB2

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · impatience

Found a flower pot full of these!

Pink impatience

NIKON D7100    40.0 mm f/2.8 lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/80s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:22 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · impatience

I'm not feeling the impatiens as much as the rose. The rose has very nice separation between the flower and the background due to the DOF employed and less-busy surroundings. In this case the scene might have started out more cluttered and there was an attempt in post (looks to be some burning remnants around the petals) to calm things down.

I'm not a huge fan of the pieces of flowers at the top and bottom of the main subject, but if you're going to keep them in the pic I'd consider bringing down the exposure of the top one and cloning/cropping the small pieces in the lower-right corner.

Swing and a miss IMO, but I'm glad that you took the cut.

Jeff

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:52 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · impatience

Beavens, Thank you for your suggestions. You're welcome to make an attempt at editing the image. I'd love to see what you could do with it!

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:25 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · impatience

Kathy,
I think the issue is the composition doesn't work well (for me, at least)
The off-center placement is fine and preferred usually over a dead center view, unless it is all about symmetry.
But the arrangement of flowers pulls the eye from lower right corner to left then straight up and out of the frame. Only the full flower "matters" as the main subject, but the visual course and even luminosity, color, and sharpness give the whole chain equal billing.

Scott

Sep 02, 2017 at 10:35 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · impatience

KathyB2 wrote:
Beavens, Thank you for your suggestions. You're welcome to make an attempt at editing the image. I'd love to see what you could do with it!

Scott hit the nail on the head with his reply above. Put this pic side by side with your rose and it'll be night and day for sure.

Jeff

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:52 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password