New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

a single rose

KathyB2

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · a single rose

Used my new Nikon 40mm micro lens to get this shot.

A single pink rose

NIKON D7100    40.0 mm f/2.8 lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/25s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · a single rose

Nice color and texture in the rose. I would like to see the lower left corner eliminated with a tighter crop

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:20 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · a single rose

Thanks, I will do that!

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:24 PM
bboyd1943
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · a single rose

I agree with Ben's comment about cropping the lower left corner. Otherwise nice composition and detail.

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:27 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · a single rose

I used cloning for the lower left corner.

A single pink rose

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · a single rose

Sometime a closer crop improves an image, but sometimes a wider crop makes good use of negative space to improve a composition by allowing the eye to naturally flow to the nexus.

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:52 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · a single rose

Thanks, bboyd1943!

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:06 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · a single rose

Auntipode, I like how you made the rose sharper!

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · a single rose

Kathy,

Welcome to FM and Critique!! Great group of very awesome/helpful people around as you can see.

Nice capture of the rose. Sharpness, comp and DOF are all working in your favor. I think your rework with the cloned corner improves and reduces the visual distraction. The negative space employed works for me, and I think that a squared crop (below) would also be fitting.

I'd look to try to recover some highlight detail in the areas circle below - they might be blown but it's worth a shot. Got to watch out for those hotspots!

Was this handheld or on a tripod? IF handheld, then solid sharpness at a slow shutter. If mounted, yo might consider lowering your ISO and increasing your exposure time. I don't see any noise in the image, but it might show itself at a larger size or if you add in some aggressive sharpening.

Cheers!

Jeff

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · a single rose

KathyB2 wrote:
Auntipode, I like how you made the rose sharper!

In Photoshop, I boosted the mid-tone contrast with the Un-Sharp Mask at 16, 60, 0 and Smart Sharpen at 31, 1.4.

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:06 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · a single rose

My camera was hand held. I went back to the raw file and was unable to eliminate the blown highlights. I found that aggressive sharpening did increase noise.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · a single rose

KathyB2 wrote:
I found that aggressive sharpening did increase noise.

Sharpening must be done carefully to avoid making an image look over-sharpened. Learning how to sharpen properly is a somewhat complicated subject and whole books have been written about it.

For a start, I usually use a tool to reduce the image noise, either before or after sharpening, depending upon the image. I've been known to sharpen before and after running noise reduction.

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · a single rose

Roses seem to always be a challenge. Typically, controlling the red channel from blowing seems to be an issue.

Here, it seems that the BLUE channel is the offending channel that is blown, moreover than the RED channel we so often see (presuming window lighting vs. direct sun lighting).

It looks like it might be a touch overexposed / oversaturated to go along with that (or just out of gamut for my monitor). I've pulled back on the saturation / exposure with a variety of tweaks and some USM. Also, some recovery.

With so many varieties of roses (and presumed cool window lighting) I wasn't exactly sure where to land the color, so I was gauging a bit "by eye" regarding the pink. Could use more refinement, but hopefully you get the gist.

Also, +1 with Jeff about ISO 1600 if you're on a tripod. Also ... if you are using window light, it is a softer, diffuse (less contrast) light. All good ... except ... if you are wanting to raise your contrast / sharpening to offset the low contrast light, then the amplification of noise will come along for the ride. Being at a lower ISO can mitigate this a bit.

As always, S&P to taste.

Congrats on the new glass.

Aug 31, 2017 at 08:06 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · a single rose

RustyBug wrote:
It looks like it might be a touch overexposed / oversaturated to go along with that (or just out of gamut for my monitor). I've pulled back on the saturation / exposure with a variety of tweaks and some USM. Also, some recovery.

With so many varieties of roses (and presumed cool window lighting) I wasn't exactly sure where to land the color, so I was gauging a bit "by eye" regarding the pink. Could use more refinement, but hopefully you get the gist.

Dude, I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent but those pinks being a bit hot/over on my wide gamut monitor had me freaking out about color accuracy and has raised a lot of questions in my mind about web processing vs. print processing.

I'll start a new topic.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:22 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · a single rose

Rustybug, I like what you did with my image

Sep 02, 2017 at 08:21 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · a single rose

Kathy,

I'm not as experienced in Photoshop as many of the others here, but I did find your rose interesting and a good subject for me to try post processing. I didn't make any changes to crop, but used luminosity masks and curves adjustments (and an HSL adjustment) to bring more contrast to the image and more clarity and focus to the rose. Interesting to see how everyone processes the same subject quite differently.

Mark

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:03 PM
KathyB2

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · a single rose

Solarishead.

Excellent! Thanks! I love it!

Sep 03, 2017 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password