New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

southwoodlaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

I am going to have a two-week vacation in Europe which is a bus tour passing several countries. This is my first time in Europe. It is just personal vacation with my wife but I so like to take some good travel pictures. I am planning to bring a Fuji X-T2 and 18-55 kit lens plus either a 14 2.8 or a 16 1.4. Feel like I need something longer. Thinking about buying a 90 f/2 or 55-200. Like to hear your advice. Thank you!!

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:01 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

The 14/2.8 is an outstanding lens. I'm just amazed at how good it is. Lots of people love the 16/1.4 too, so really it comes down to how wide you like it. If you have an 18-55 I'd recommend the 14/2.8 to get the biggest difference.

The 90/2 is an outstanding lens, but it's expensive, big and fairly heavy. I happen to like that focal length, but I think a lot of people buy the 90/2 and then don't use it much because it's so specialized and bulky/heavy.

Do you like manual focus? There are lots of really good longer focal length options that are lighter, smaller and much cheaper. For example, I really like my Olympus OM 100/2.8. The catch is it can be challenging and time consuming to get good copies of older lenses (and I don't know what your travel schedule is).

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

You might also consider the 10-24 f/4. Its a great travel lens. I truly believe that the fewer pieces of gear you take, the more great photos you'll make.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:17 AM
travelair
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

FWIW, I have the 10-24, 18-55, and 55-200, for my travel kit. Those three lenses, and a single body (X-E1 originally, but now an X-T20), all fit in a small messenger type bag.

Our summer trip this year was a lap through southern Colorado and northern New Mexico, and either the 10-24 or 18-55 was used for 95% of my shots. The 55-200 came out only occasionally, mainly for wildlife.

Much depends on your shooting style. For my vacation shots, most are in adequate light, or with the camera on a tripod, or nearby rock using timer release. As such, it is no problem being at f/5.6-11, depending, where the zooms perform best. In most travel shots, I'm not trying to use a lower aperture for isolation either. Out of the three, the 55-200 is the weakest performer. And, that is more because the 10-24, and inexpensive 18-55, are particularly good, rather than the 55-200 being bad. The X-E1, with its lackluster AF performance, is not a good match with the 55-200. It is showing more promise on my new X-T20, but I need more time to figure it out. Quite light, and easy to live with though.

Currently interested in building a low light kit around the 16/1.4, 23/1.4 and likely the 56/1.2. Also interested in those lenses, particularly the 56, for the possibility of increased isolation and reduced depth of field at lower apertures. Obviously, the zooms aren't in the same realm, from that standpoint.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:25 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

I think carrying a 18-55 and 16/1.4 doesn't make a ton of sense. Not to knock the 16/1.4, its a great lens, but its also pretty big and heavy, and while its fast and can focus very close, how many close-up type shots with a wider angle and isolated background would you likely shoot ? Just isn't a world of difference between 24 and 28mm equiv either so I think a 14mm would make much more sense as it provides a fairly more significant advantage in giving you a wider FoV.

That said, I think a 10-24 makes much more sense overall because it can give you 16, 18, 21, 24, 28 and even 35mm equiv FoV from just one lens, and generally speaking, most folks seem to enjoy wider focal lengths in Europe in the narrower streets and such.

I think you could leave the 10-24 mounted nearly the whole time, while something like the 18-55 and 14 combo would have you switching back and forth a fair.

Not to knock the 18-55 either, which is also a very good lens, but.... how often do you see yourself using the longer end, especially being f4 ? Not great subject isolation for portrait shots, not great in low light, not really enough reach to replace the need for a true tele....

If it was me I'd pair the 10-24 with a 35mm f1.4, or 35/2 or 50/2 if you prefer, and have a second lens option that gives a nice out of focus background rendering for portraits, and also has the speed you may find useful when shooting in lower light. My favorite being the 35/1.4 due to its rendering and FoV.

Again, the 18-55 pulls its weight quite well as a single lens, but, are you going to be wishing you had something wider than 18mm ? Probably. Are you going to be wishing you had more speed on the longer end for some shots ? Probably.

With an 10-24 would you wish for wider ? Maybe for a few shots, but its about as wide as you can get with Fuji, and are there some situations where you might wish for more speed ? Sure, but I think for a majority of shots, even with a 16/1.4 you'd be stopping down a little just to get more of the scenics in focus. To me its just the least compromise with regards to trying to put together a minimal kit.

I'd for sure leave a 90/2 at home. Just going to be quite long and not versatile, and Europe can be pretty crowded. 90/2 is a great portrait tool outdoors or in a larger studio space, for dedicated shots, but I'd wager you'd maybe take a handful of shots at best with it, and its a lot to carry around getting unused.

55-200 is quite a nice lens, good IQ and modest size/price, but it might start to feel like a bit of an weight in your back after a week or so if little use. Most accounts I read have people shooting very little telephoto in Europe, though people all do have shooting styles that differ.

If its a first time, I think you'll be trying to take in the overall vistas and beauty of the famous cities, not trying to isolate specific details with a telephoto, if you know what I mean.

I'd suggest at least a 2nd and maybe a 3rd battery, the 10-24 and 35/1.4, and a small folding tripod. You won't use it all that much, but it will prove handy for some night shots and times you want to get a group photo of you and your tour mates. For the most part your not going to be able to setup a tripod though, so I'm talking something like a folding ultrapod or Joby etc.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
davidquiring

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

The 16mm 1.4 is an incredibly versatile lens and (for me) is attached to my X-T2 90% of the time when I travel, but this is the focal length in which I see the world (coming from many years shooting primarily with a Nikon D800 w/ a 24mm 1.4G). With it I have the ability to separate subject from background for portraiture and continue to wield my camera low light situations, in addition to daytime use cases which honestly most lenses will satisfy.

The 56mm 1.2 and 55-200mm f3.8-4.5 are in my travel bag as well. While they're both very appreciated in certain portraiture, nature, and/or landscape situations, they see much less use. They tend to come with me on a trip in my big backpack and I only choose one of these two each morning as I head out based on what I expect to encounter. After a month in Guatemala, my 55-200mm lens saw a lot more action than I anticipated and I was very grateful to have it as an option.

As an example of travel use with this kit, take a peek at this broad photoessay on my website from my time in Guatemala - all shot on the X-T2 with the 16mm and 55-200mm:
http://www.davidquiring.com/2017/06/postcards-from-guatemala/
(linked so as not to flood this thread with pictures)

Kit choices like this are so subjective, so take this experience I'm sharing with just a grain of consideration in making your own ultimate choice. We all place different values on the size, focal length coverage, and final output of our gear. Mine are based on versatility, inconspicuousness, and performance - all with travel in mind.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:51 AM
southwoodlaker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

Rob, Thank you for the thought on 14 vs 16. I may also consider your manual lens suggestion since I do have some adapters.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

We've been to Europe twice in as many years and will be going to London and Paris in October for business/pleasure.

I took a Canon 5D2 on both trips. Lens lineup was as follows:
First trip:
17-40

Second trip:
17-40
24-70
70-200 f2.8

My experience was that I used the 24-70 the most by far, therefore you'll find the 18-55 on your camera the most. I found the 17-40 was too wide most of the time. Folks have mentioned the 10-22, but I think I would take the 14. The 16 is too close to the short end of the 18-55.

The 55-200'would be more versatile, especially if you plan on long lens landscapes. The OIS will certainly help. The 90 would be good for street portraits where you wanted to isolate the subject. I took my 70-200 because we cruised down the Rhine and I wanted to be able to photograph the hillside castles. I rarely used it in town, though I shot a lot of street with the 85 in Tuscany on the first trip.

Needless to say my camera bag was huge and heavy (20+ pounds). My plan is to buy an XT2 with the kit lens and rent the 56 for our upcoming trip. I rented the XT2 and fell in love with the shooting experience. I really want to take a smaller kit. BTW, my first trip was a bus tour in 1966 and my kit was a fixed lens Olympus viewfinder. I still have all the slides.

Tou are in for a treat! Europe is great, you'll have some wonderful experiences!

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:30 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

For Europe I would always bring the 10-24 and a fast prime.

Anything beyond that is personal choice. In good light the XC50-230 is a great tool for when you need reach.

The 18-135 and a fast prime would be my minimum kit.

Safe travels and have fun!

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM
denisavu
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

Came back from northern Italy with the XT2, 10-24,16-55,23/1.4,56/1.2, and the 55-200. The most used was the 10-24, 16-55, and 23 for night time shooting. Brought too much gear. Good to know for next time.

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:50 PM
lawa222
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

I think you're right on with the 14 and 18-55 pairing. I'd probably stick with what you have or perhaps buy a 50-230. I suspect you won't use the telephoto a ton - if you don't own one already, you probably don't normally shoot with one - so only the 50-230 is light/cheap/small enough to be worth adding in my mind. Also all three share can share same 58mm CPL and hood. Definitely don't sleep on the plastic 50-230, it is a great lens if given fair expectations.

35/1.4 is also a great value, small, light, and fairly different from the 18-55.

The 10-24 is solid, but it'd be awfully hard for me to justify owning all three of 14, 16, 10-24. And especially if you do want a telephoto too, the 10-24, 18-55, and 55-200 starts to feel as bulky as a DSLR kit.

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:13 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

My pleasure.

One thing I've learned when people ask these questions is that you have be mindful of your own tendencies! For example, I was in the Netherlands for a week this summer with my X-T2, a bag full of Olympus OM primes and my Fuji primes. Looking at my catalogue in Lightroom, it's clear that I definitely like longer focal lengths more than wide! I barely used my Fuji XF 14/2.8 (as good as it is) or my OM 21/3.5. Instead, I mostly used the Fuji 35/2, the OM 50/1.4 and the OM 100/2.8, with a good contingent of OM 28/3.5 shots. Apparently I like tighter compositions!

Other people responding to your post are wild for wide angles -- and the wider the better. Hence the recommendations for the excellent Fuji 10-24.

southwoodlaker wrote:
Rob, Thank you for the thought on 14 vs 16. I may also consider your manual lens suggestion since I do have some adapters.

In the square, Utrecht. Olympus OM 100mm f/2.8 on Fuji X-T2

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:46 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

Another vote for the 10-24 and a fast prime for the basis of your kit. I have all the lenses you mention and travel a lot and the 10-24 gets used a lot.

I just took 10-24, 23/2 and 50/2 (with an X-T2) to Denmark and it worked out great. Actually took an RX10ii as well which was used 50% of the time.

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:52 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

My travel kit is an XT2, 18-55mm, 10-24mm and 55-200mm. From my last trip I used mostly the 10-24mm and 18-55, with the 18-55mm the most.

Have a great trip.

Alan

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:29 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

You can see from my profile where I live, so shooting Europe in not exactly unknown to me. While each of us is different, I would definitely bring the 16 f:1.4, because it will unlock shooting inside churches and other dark buildings (museums, palaces) where flash and tripods are not allowed, and you don't want to push ISO into the stratosphere. And the extra width you get over the 18-55 can come in handy. Then I would definitely get something longer, either a 35 f:1.4 or a 50 f:2.0, depending on your personal preference. Both are quite a bit better than the kit zoom, and the extra speed will help.

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

Well I would go a bit differently from your original choices in the OP. 10-24 + 50f/2 would be my choice. Keeping it light will make the entire trip more enjoyable. The 35 is nice, but too close to 24mm to justify it if I was trying to travel light. All depends on your priorities. Some guys will lug a pro body w/ a full compliment of f2.8's + f1.4's. Lot of weight and I actually feel like having too many options gets in the way of enjoying photography.

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:07 PM
southwoodlaker
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

Thank you all my friends for spending time and explained the reasons of your recommendations in detail. All are great and make senses. I know. I've been Nikon and Canon user for many years and totally switched to Fuji two years ago. I have brought the Fuji gears for my travel to Cuba and Tanzania and I was not disappointed. Since this is my first time to Europe, I'd like to ask some recommendations from experienced traveler/photographers. I fully understand your points. Thank you so much.

I had 10-24 before and I sold it. I always don't feel that I can shoot wide angle better. My most comfortable focal length is 35mm or 24mm is the widest. So I am thinking to bring what I have so far without spending extra money.
I plan to bring 14mm 2.8, 18-55 kit lens, and a 56 1.2 (for now though)
The reason why I was planning to add 90mm f/2 is that I can use that lens for studio and portraits (mainly do weddings, studio portraits and high school seniors). I owned that lens before, but as other people I sold it due to lack of usage.
I will back to this thread and report what I finally bring with and share some images and experience. Hope that also help other friends in the similar situation.

Thanks again!!

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:00 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

bring the focal length that you're comfortable with.
18-55 should be able to give you most of the shots that you need.
get a 14 or 16 if you want something wider.

from my trip to Europe earlier this year, I brought 3 lenses, 12mm, 18mm and 50mm.
18mm was my most used lens.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:09 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

For me, most most recent big trip was with a Zeiss Touit 12/2.8 and Fuji 18-55. That worked well for me. You could substitute the Touit with a Rokinon 12/2.
Have a fun trip

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:58 PM
SethD
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji Lenses recommendation for Europe travel

A lot depends on your age and health. During the jubilee year, when I was a mere stripling of 60, I felt comfortable going to Rome with a Leicaflex SL and 4 heavy brass lenses. My most recent trip - 17 years older - I took a Fuji X-pro with a 12, 23, 35 and 60mm lenses. My go to lens was and is the 23 f1.4. The package was much lighter and gave great results. I also found that whichever lens I started with tended to stay on the camera most of the day.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.