Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

spooky action
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

I have a lead on (what I think is) a good deal for 2x8gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 CAS 16 Ram for $105.00 BNIB.

I was initially aiming for 32 gb of the same/similar ram, but I think this is too good to pass up, and I'll re-direct the savings into a better GPU. I primarily use LR, though I want to start learning/utilizing PS. Will I regret not going with 32gb (I figure at this price I can always upgrade when ram prices drop and/or another great deal comes along), or will this be sufficient for a little while?

FWIW, I've already bought:

Mobo (Asus Rog Hero IX)
Storage (960 EVO 500gb NVMe, 850 EVO 1 tb SSD)
Cooler (Noctua DH-15)
Case (Fractal Define R5)
PSU (EVGA 750w G3 80+ gold)

I've yet to buy:

CPU (i7-7700k)
Ram
GPU (either EVGA gtx SC 1060 6gb or 1070 - overkill I know)
Monitor (probably BenQ SW2700pt)

Thanks,

Josh

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:53 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

If the deal is too good to pass up, and you want 32GB, can you just buy two kits? RAM is cheap these days and you have already clearly put the effort into getting good components for the rest of your system (been looking at the other build thread I see ). I would just get 32GB.

These two kits are good and cheap:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232416&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

16GB is the minimum even if you aren't doing photo editing, unless you are an extremely light user. You will probably be OK with that for a while and if you don't open too many images at once, but with all the money you are going to invest in that PC, I don't see a good reason to cheap out on one of the most important areas (RAM). 2X16GB will be slightly better than 4X8GB in your system as well, since the 7700K can only handle dual channel RAM. If you are like most people and don't upgrade your PC for 4-6 years, I would just get it now when it's already fairly cheap and not have to worry about looking for the perfect deal and upgrading down the road.

Also if you don't use the PC for modern gaming, go with the 1060 6GB and forget the 1070 - you will never notice a benefit from the 1070 in Photoshop, especially Lightroom. Take that money and put it into more RAM or a better monitor.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:16 AM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

CanadaMark wrote:
If the deal is too good to pass up, and you want 32GB, can you just buy two kits? RAM is cheap these days and you have already clearly put the effort into getting good components for the rest of your system (been looking at the other build thread I see ). I would just get 32GB.

These two kits are good and cheap:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232416&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232091&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

16GB is the minimum even if you aren't doing photo editing, unless you are an extremely light user. You will probably be OK with that for a while and if you don't open too many images at
...Show more

Hey Mark,

Yes, I definitely took to heart a lot of your advice! Thanks again.

Yes, I do not plan on upgrading for 4-6 years, which is exactly why I was gunning for 32gb. Unfortunately, I can't buy 2 of the deal - this is a local Offerup deal where the guy only has the 2 sticks unopened, BNIB.

I also checked out your G. Skill Trident Z suggestion. It has better timings and is cheaper than the LPX, but I would have to move the second fan on the cooler to fit the taller sticks. It's probably super easy, but I want to make this as seamless as possible for a first build.

I'm off to click on your links now...

EDIT: The Trident Z Ram has slightly worse, though similar timings, but is definitely cheaper.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:37 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

If you have a Canon 5Dsr or a camera of similar number of megapixels,
16gb ram is NOT enough. Processing is too slow.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

garydavidjones wrote:
If you have a Canon 5Dsr or a camera of similar number of megapixels,
16gb ram is NOT enough. Processing is too slow.

I've got a D810, so not quite 50, but 36mp sensor. That was another reason for considering the 32gb. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and go with the 32.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

spooky action wrote:
Hey Mark,

Yes, I definitely took to heart a lot of your advice! Thanks again.

Yes, I do not plan on upgrading for 4-6 years, which is exactly why I was gunning for 32gb. Unfortunately, I can't buy 2 of the deal - this is a local Offerup deal where the guy only has the 2 sticks unopened, BNIB.

I also checked out your G. Skill Trident Z suggestion. It has better timings and is cheaper than the LPX, but I would have to move the second fan on the cooler to fit the taller sticks. It's probably super easy,
...Show more

I'd just get the 32GB and call it a day.

Yes if you use Trident Z (and probably also the Ripjaws) you will need to move the outside fan on the NH-D15 up slightly. This is extremely easy to do, takes 10 seconds, and will make no difference whatsoever to your setup. The fans are not pre-installed anyway, so there is no extra time or effort involved. In fact you don't even need the NH-D15 unless you plan on overclocking, and you can get a smaller cooler or the single fan version of the NH-D15 (NH-D15S) which has 100% RAM compatibility and 90% of the cooling performance. Don't compromise on the RAM when you can just buy the NH-D15S, not install the outside fan on the NH-D15, or install both fans and move the outside fan up a few mm's.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

CanadaMark wrote:

Yes if you use Trident Z (and probably also the Ripjaws) you will need to move the outside fan on the NH-D15 up slightly. This is extremely easy to do, takes 10 seconds, and will make no difference whatsoever to your setup. The fans are not pre-installed anyway, so there is no extra time or effort involved. In fact you don't even need the NH-D15 unless you plan on overclocking, and you can get a smaller cooler or the single fan version of the NH-D15 (NH-D15S) which has 100% RAM compatibility
...Show more

Got it. I didn't realize I had to set up the fans anyway. Makes the choice easy. Trident Z it is. I already bought the NH-D15 due to the rave reviews.

Thanks again.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:22 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

CanadaMark wrote:

I would agree. No need to overthink the issue. In 5 years you will want 32GB, so just buy it now and have done.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

I went crazy with my overclocked build, and put in 32 GB expressly so I could run 16 GB in a RAM 'disk'. (WASTE OF MONEY, the RAM disk didn't speed up LR I've since turned the RAM disk off).

I run 30 MP 5D4 images thru LR, and never (ever) go over 16 GB in use. Lightroom doesn't need 32 GB of RAM.

Spend the money wisely, on other needed parts.

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

skid00skid00 wrote:
I went crazy with my overclocked build, and put in 32 GB expressly so I could run 16 GB in a RAM 'disk'. (WASTE OF MONEY, the RAM disk didn't speed up LR I've since turned the RAM disk off).

I run 30 MP 5D4 images thru LR, and never (ever) go over 16 GB in use. Lightroom doesn't need 32 GB of RAM.

Spend the money wisely, on other needed parts.

It's more about future-proofing. For now LR doesn't use much RAM (i struggle to get it to use more than 3GB), but if they do a code rewrite on it in a year or two that might change. And if you decide one day to start stitching together panoramas with a 36MP camera, RAM usage can easily go over 16GB.

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

15Bit wrote:
I would agree. No need to overthink the issue. In 5 years you will want 32GB, so just buy it now and have done.

That's what I did. Although my Photoshop use is crude, I can get near 16GB and I am hoping for LR improvements that may one day utilise the remaining available RAM.

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

I have 32gb and LR is still the weakest link, but I'd suggest installing 32gb from the outset so you know everything is compatible.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:23 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

Unfortunately, only one person in this thread has correctly stated that 16GB is plenty. I'd put down a bet that you could work with 16GB for a couple of months, then put in another 16GB and never notice a difference. Megapixel size of the images from your chosen camera doesn't make much of a difference to RAM usage.

The only people who need more than 16GB of RAM are those doing 3D modeling work or run VMs. Or those who don't know how to close programs when they're done with them. I work in IT and will get a complaint that they need more RAM but upon closer inspection, they've got 8 programs open (that they aren't using) along with a browser that literally has had 30 tabs open for over a week. Close what you aren't using, don't be a browser tab hoarder, restart your computer every now and then (for those poorly developed programs that have memory leaks), and you're fine.

Take that $100 and save it for something else.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

blurredvision wrote:
Unfortunately, only one person in this thread has correctly stated that 16GB is plenty. I'd put down a bet that you could work with 16GB for a couple of months, then put in another 16GB and never notice a difference. Megapixel size of the images from your chosen camera doesn't make much of a difference to RAM usage.

The only people who need more than 16GB of RAM are those doing 3D modeling work or run VMs. Or those who don't know how to close programs when they're done with them. I work in IT and will get a complaint that
...Show more

I would disagree with your slightly patronising evaluation of people's RAM requirements. I don't do 3D modelling work (or run VMs), but i did need to upgrade from 16 to 32GB for some data analysis needs. And whilst i don't yet have need of 32GB for my photography, i do have pano's that take up 5GB in photoshop before adding any layers and such. And those are from a 13MP 5D. I'd be willing to bet any of the regulars on the Landscape forum use >16GB regularly.

Aug 30, 2017 at 02:08 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

blurredvision wrote:

The only people who need more than 16GB of RAM are those doing 3D modeling work or run VMs. Or those who don't know how to close programs when they're done with them. I work in IT and will get a complaint that
...Show more

That is simply not true, and what is 'plenty' for one person may very well not be for the next. I have gone well over 16GB in Photoshop and I don't do any 3D modeling or anything of the sort. When I moved to 36MP my RAM requirements increased significantly. It was immediately noticeable when I went to 32GB, because I was maxing out 16GB. On top of that, RAM is so cheap right now, there is no good reason to save such a tiny amount of money on such an important part of the system, even if your only reason is future proofing.

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:07 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

On my rig right now, RAM usage for RAW images from D500:

Photoshop open, no files loaded: 156MB
Open a single RAW in in CameraRAW: 525MB
Open that image in PS: 400MB
10 RAW images open in PS plus one in CameraRAW: 1,780MB
10 RAW images open in PS, no CameraRAW: 1,426MB
On those 10 images, creating a new duplicate layer of the image: ~25MB added
Adjust layers: varies wildly as you'd expect, anywhere from 2MB-20MB

Opened LR to my last import, about 60 photos. Scrolled through everyone in the timeline, a handful had edits, the rest not. Couldn't get LR to utilize over 1,750MB of RAM.

Just a quick run through of some stuff, so not scientific. But with PS and LR where they are, plus Chrome with a couple of tabs, Outlook, file explorer, discord, Blizzard app, Steam, Spyder calibrator software, Sound Blaster software, anti-virus, OneDrive, Logitech software, on Windows 10....I'm sitting at 59% usage of my 16GB of RAM.

If you're utilizing your entire 16GB of RAM, then you're doing something well above and beyond the normal. Or, you need to learn how to close stuff you're done with. I even opened one of my LR smart collections that had 8500 RAW photos in it and LR didn't even sneeze at it, stayed below 2,000MB of RAM usage no matter how many images I scrolled through (which was maybe a couple hundred before I quit).

Sorry, but if OP needed 32GB, he'd already know it, he wouldn't need to ask.

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

For 32 bit apps yes 64 bit no

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:26 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

If I were the OP, I'd spend that extra $105 on a higher-spec video card.

He isn't even using PS yet, and if it needs more than 16 GB RAM, the swap file will handle his (probably occasional) needs. (I'm assuming he won't often need more than 16 GB RAM even "when" he starts heavily using PS.)

I regret putting 32 GB in my custom build. I believe it made my overclock more difficult, (it certainly made overclocking the RAM more difficult!) and even when I've loaded up LOTS of apps and web pages, it just isn't used.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:08 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

Unless you're doing panos or doing a 5DSR file eating contest, stick with 16gb. I have a 16gb build myself and i use perhaps half of it. Save the money for something else. And unless you're gaming regularly, stick with the GTX1060 6GB. It is the best value for the money. LR doesn't eat memory, and PS doesn't either as long as you're not stitching or opening tons of files.

32 GB may not future proof you. However, buying a CPU that does 8 threads or more (which you are already doing) will absolutely future proof you.

Another thing to consider. You have a SSD that interfaces via PCI Express. You're much more likely to notice the performance boost from that SSD than from simply having lots of memory. Also, overclocking the RAM does not yield that much of a performance increase. Yes you can see the difference during a stress test or a benchmark procedure. In normal uses, no difference. And yes, I have tried, as have several of my friends who spend way too much time analysing their own computers. Your CPU of choice supports 2400 Mhz RAM, so don't bother buying RAM that is capable of faster speeds. Your CPU won't necessarily be able to take advantage of it and produce a significant performance increase.

I'm with skid00 and blurred vision. If you need more than 16GB of memory, the reason for needing more and faster memory will already be obvious to you. I think you should save your money.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · First PC Build - Is 16gb RAM Enough?

I'm 50/50.

16GB was and is plenty for me. But during a recent HDD swap I decided to upgrade to 32GB while the case was open.

I was surprised one day to see use hit 14GB+ in Photoshop.

Normal use hovers around 7GB.

But I am still hoping for LR performance updates that address RAM more aggressively. If that day ever comes.

Aug 31, 2017 at 01:17 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.