New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Hello,

I'm currently in a mood of using manual lenses on my X-Pro2. I mostly use my beloved Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2.0. I love this lens, even with some corner smearing at wider apertures and some field-curvature, it's an amazing lens optically and most importantly I love how it handles, with the OVF + the tiny digital focus window it's like using a different camera compared to native AF lenses, love the experience for street photography.

I had a Fuji 27mm and sold it because I didn't had much fun using it compared to the Voigtlander, so I'm thinking on trying some more legacy glass in APS-C normal range (so mostly between 28mm and 35mm). Thinking on the Takumars 28mm and 35mm f/3.5, their legendary construction quality and uber-smooth focus ring may give a very satisfying experience. Also looking at the Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f/2.5 since I love my Ulron 28mm so much.

So I'm curious if you guys still have/use or remember having some great normal-ish glass for APS-C that was interesting, special, fun to use or different, that were (or are) worth having even knowing or having good AF native options in this focal range.

Sharing some images would be perfect, I'll start posting some of mine with the 28/2 Ultron. Let's incite some GAS!

Aug 29, 2017 at 08:49 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

I switched to an APS-C format camera from full frame (Sony A7R to Fuji X-T2) and I mostly use old manual lenses. They're all Olympus OM Zuikos, with the exception of my Canon FD 35/2.8 TS lens. I'm using these particular lenses not only because they're optically really good, but also because I've been able to build an extremely flexible tilt-shift kit around them. http://www.robdeloephotography.com/Pages/Tiltshift-on-APSC

Some samples:

Reaching. Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 TS (Tilt-Shift) lens -- an excellent option if you need camera movements on APS-C

Living in the Alley, Amsterdam. Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4 on Kipon Tilt-Shift adapter.

Rooster in sunlight, Utrecht. Olympus OM 100mm f/2.8 (MC version) on Kipon Tilt-Shift adapter.

Twisted together. Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 on Kipon Tilt-Shift adapter.

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:27 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

For a normal lens, I loved the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 on the NEX. Also did well with tubes for closer focus. That's the only lens I really miss from my APS-C days, but that's mostly because most of the lenses I used then can also be used on FF.

It's a little longer, but I also really liked the Konica AR 40mm f/1.8. Not great wide open on APS-C, but it sharpens up a lot ~f/2.3 and is edge to edge sharp at f/2.8 on APS-C. Perfect match for an APS-C body.

Other than that, I think the small tabbed Voigtlander 35-40s f/1.4 and f/2.5 are fun on APS-C. Waist level shooting with the screen flipped up, great for discrete candids.

Great set, @Sr.Cordeiro! I especially like #5, there are a few scenes going on at the same time there, a microcosm.

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Thanks for sharing. I luse use zuikos on my Kipon T/S adapter too, mostly for wide-angle stuff (the 18/3.5 and 24/2.0). But don't get much fun with it, I'm getting more and more of a free-style tripod-less guy

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

arduluth wrote:
For a normal lens, I loved the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 on the NEX. Also did well with tubes for closer focus. That's the only lens I really miss from my APS-C days, but that's mostly because most of the lenses I used then can also be used on FF.

It's a little longer, but I also really liked the Konica AR 40mm f/1.8. Not great wide open on APS-C, but it sharpens up a lot ~f/2.3 and is edge to edge sharp at f/2.8 on APS-C. Perfect match for an APS-C body.

Other than that, I think the
...Show more

Thanks, I'm glad you like them

Was looking for the G 28mm some time ago when I was searching for a comapct 28mm. Realised that although the rendering is as zeissy as zeiss gets (which I like), the corner smearing was pretty drastic. The front-filter solution probaly fixes this, but how about handling? Remember reading some users complaining about the adaptor-focus not being very intuitive.

Aug 29, 2017 at 09:57 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

I know what you mean! Believe it or not though, I switched from my A7R to the X-T2 partly because I wanted to be more free-style and tripod-less. Shifting without a tripod is a non-issue. Tilting is a bit trickier, but with a lot of practice now I've found that it's completely do-able.

By the way, the OM 28/3.5 is a really fine lens too despite being dirt cheap. My Fuji XF 27/2.8, which I really like, is ridiculously good for what it is (a tiny pancake). In careful testing I've found that the OM 28/3.5 is nearly at the level of the Fuji -- not as good, but darned good. It makes a very nice "wide-ish normal" lens too.

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I luse use zuikos on my Kipon T/S adapter too, mostly for wide-angle stuff (the 18/3.5 and 24/2.0). But don't get much fun with it, I'm getting more and more of a free-style tripod-less guy

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Thanks, I'm glad you like them

Was looking for the G 28mm some time ago when I was searching for a comapct 28mm. Realised that although the rendering is as zeissy as zeiss gets (which I like), the corner smearing was pretty drastic. The front-filter solution probaly fixes this, but how about handling? Remember reading some users complaining about the adaptor-focus not being very intuitive.

It's not intuitive, but if you have a crappy copy of an adapter the focusing can be pretty rough. The wider the lens, the less of an issue it is - the adapter focusing is a lot less of an issue for the 28mm than it is with the 90mm. If you use a cheap adapter, the key is to keep the adapter mated to the lens. That seems to help a lot. With a nicer adapter like the Ulata or Metabones, you can use a single adapter for multiple lenses.

I've not seen anything from a G 28 with the front filter on APS-C, but I expect that it would take care of the problem. I used one on my NEX without a filter and was happy with the results. You can see the field curvature in some scenarios, but generally it didn't bother me. Considering how much the front filter improves things on FF, I expect it would take care of the problem on APS-C.

Do you use a front filter with the Voigtlander 28mm f/2? They're very similar in terms of field curvature and smearing. If the CV 28/2 doesn't bother you in this regard, I don't think the G 28 would. It's good enough for me at f/5.6 on APS-C across the frame for more landscapey scenes, and f/8 is even better.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

the g28 was also one of my favorites on aps-c for drawing style and size. there wasn't much corner smearing on the NEX-5N and just a bit more on the NEX-7 (still had better corners than the OM 24/2.8). the adapter focus is lame though, i converted mine to m-mount with a real helicoid:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7428/9278159163_d5bf028308_o.jpg
some pics:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3846/15032573581_5468b5a116_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3711/8800463843_045d67c5ef_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7380/8887800876_89c7bc5b43_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5321/8910000098_80f9f19ba4_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3754/8816092073_7782eb98ff_b.jpg
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8073/8365232904_63e058d3ac_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7596/16732070719_6dff19a73c_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7318/8725263729_f4f9cd1196_b.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7335/9107687969_280f6bd7e9_b.jpg
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8029/8069872920_5ba2d61474_b.jpg

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

arduluth wrote:
Do you use a front filter with the Voigtlander 28mm f/2? They're very similar in terms of field curvature and smearing. If the CV 28/2 doesn't bother you in this regard, I don't think the G 28 would. It's good enough for me at f/5.6 on APS-C across the frame for more landscapey scenes, and f/8 is even better.

No, but I bought a Proxar B57 (B50) f=1m some time ago to see if it would improve the performance at f/2 but it didn't do anything (actually degraded sharpness a bit). Since the lens it's decent at f/2.8 and good at f/4 I didn't bother trying other filters. If I were using it on a FF camera I would try to investigate it more or drop the lens altogether since I found it really bad back when I had a A7II.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

sebboh wrote:
the g28 was also one of my favorites on aps-c for drawing style and size. there wasn't much corner smearing on the NEX-5N and just a bit more on the NEX-7 (still had better corners than the OM 24/2.8). the adapter focus is lame though, i converted mine to m-mount with a real helicoid:

Nice. I wish I got the skills (and guts) to do that sort of conversion. That's a Rokkor-PF 55mm f/1.7 housing right?
I'm assuming the samples you posted are without any filter, if so I'm impressed. There's not that much smearing. I recall seeing much worse some time ago (maybe lack of manual-focusing skills of some photogs?) which together with lame focus adapter put me off on getting that lens.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

The smearing on the G 28 on APS-C different than the smearing I've seen with some lenses on the A7. It's the result of field curvature more than anything else. The edges can be sharp even wide open if you focus for them.

This was taken wide open, focused in the center at infinity, and even so the stars hold up pretty well in the corner. A bit of astigmatism, but really not all that bad. I wouldn't take a regular landscape at f/2.8, and would want to stop down to at least f/5.6.

Aurora by diogenic, on Flickr

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Lately I've been shooting ZM and Contax G glass on a Leica T (the original, not the LT). It's made me want to pick up my camera and actually use it.

Mind you, I've also picked an odd-ball set of lenses for it, especially because of the rendering: Hologon G 8/16, C Biogon 4.5/21 ZM, and Biogon 2/35 ZM.

Pondering getting the rest of the Contax G glass and converting them to LM mount.

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Nice. I wish I got the skills (and guts) to do that sort of conversion. That's a Rokkor-PF 55mm f/1.7 housing right?
I'm assuming the samples you posted are without any filter, if so I'm impressed. There's not that much smearing. I recall seeing much worse some time ago (maybe lack of manual-focusing skills of some photogs?) which together with lame focus adapter put me off on getting that lens.

yup, no filter. smearing is pretty minimal, just field curvature and color caste (which i think isn't an issue on fuji?). not sure how fuji cover glass compares to sony, so maybe corner performance might be a bit different.

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:36 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · normal MF lenses on APS-C for fun/good experience

I really love my Leica M 28/2.8 Elmarit v2 on APS-C(NEX-7)
DSC03579
And OM 21/3.4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/om2135/

Aug 30, 2017 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.