Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
  

Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L &...
  
 
rico
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm very interested on the TS-E 135/4L Macro. It seems to be a very versatile and unique lens.

135mm is my favorite FL for tabletop, and rotation is essential. I currently switch between a bellows 100/4 with T/S/R movements and a Rokinon 135 (no movements). This new 135 TS-E will make a nice Christmas present, and adapting to Sony FE is my plan.



Aug 31, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


rico wrote:
135mm is my favorite FL for tabletop, and rotation is essential. I currently switch between a bellows 100/4 with T/S/R movements and a Rokinon 135 (no movements). This new 135 TS-E will make a nice Christmas present, and adapting to Sony FE is my plan.


I miss shooting with TS-E lenses. At one point, not long ago, I used them exclusively. I agree on the TS-E 135/4 Macro and I think it will be an amazing lens.



Sep 01, 2017 at 05:52 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


rscheffler wrote:
I think if you look really closely at this image there is some indication of 'bokeh fringing' such as along the edge of her back there is a faint green outline. Or the wires of the bridge, again a hint of green along the edges away from the point of focus and possibly a bit of magenta in front.

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/img/index/img-f14.jpg

It's from this Canon page: http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/index.html


Yeah, you can see the magenta between her index finger and hand. Disappointing given the performance of the 35LII, but, in comparison to other manufacturers' lenses at this focal length and speed, you have to spend a lot more and give up AF to get much improvement, if that photo's any indication. Spherochromatism doesn't often get addressed at this focal length, unless it's via software. The big question is- how far do you have to stop it down to make it go away?




Sep 03, 2017 at 02:18 AM
mogud
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


Of all the new lenses just announced, the TS-E 135/4 has caught my interest. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Zeiss 135/2 classic but I'm on hold until I see reviews of the 135. The MTF chart for the 135 looks quite good. While I don't base buying decision solely on charts, it's a good first step in making my decision.


Sep 03, 2017 at 05:21 AM
johnctharp
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


rscheffler wrote:
I think if you look really closely at this image there is some indication of 'bokeh fringing' such as along the edge of her back there is a faint green outline. Or the wires of the bridge, again a hint of green along the edges away from the point of focus and possibly a bit of magenta in front.

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/img/index/img-f14.jpg

It's from this Canon page: http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/index.html


freaklikeme wrote:
Yeah, you can see the magenta between her index finger and hand. Disappointing given the performance of the 35LII, but, in comparison to other manufacturers' lenses at this focal length and speed, you have to spend a lot more and give up AF to get much improvement, if that photo's any indication. Spherochromatism doesn't often get addressed at this focal length, unless it's via software. The big question is- how far do you have to stop it down to make it go away?


Does it matter? Of the modern AF 85/1.4 lenses, this 85/1.4L IS likely has the least longitudinal CA. It's certainly visible in the 85/1.4 | Art and 85/1.4 GM, but not really noticeable. It seems Canon really split the difference between these two established lenses in many ways.

It seems that leaving that last bit uncorrected has been a trend, and I'd posit it is likely due to placing background rendering and smooth focus transition above apochromatic-level color correction.


-And to address the question: I'd expect the longitudinal CA/spherochromatism to go away rather quickly. This lens' predecessors, the 85/1.8 USM and 85/1.2L (I/II) both behave this way, as do most prime lenses.



Sep 03, 2017 at 06:59 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


johnctharp wrote:
Does it matter? Of the modern AF 85/1.4 lenses, this 85/1.4L IS likely has the least longitudinal CA. It's certainly visible in the 85/1.4 | Art and 85/1.4 GM, but not really noticeable. It seems Canon really split the difference between these two established lenses in many ways.

It seems that leaving that last bit uncorrected has been a trend, and I'd posit it is likely due to placing background rendering and smooth focus transition above apochromatic-level color correction.

-And to address the question: I'd expect the longitudinal CA/spherochromatism to go away rather quickly. This lens' predecessors, the 85/1.8 USM and 85/1.2L
...Show more

Hmm, I don't consider f/5.6 to be "quick". It's more "average".



Sep 03, 2017 at 05:36 PM
George Orwell
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


Bruce Sawle wrote:
bokeh looks buttery

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef85-f14-usm/index.html


Wow...that's simply beautiful!




Sep 03, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Cphoto1954
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


I will most likely be keeping my SIGMA 85 Art as it is killer sharp across the frame, has beautiful bokeh rendering and nails focus (unless I screw up) plus I have never lost an image due to not having IS on it.

I just enjoy looking at the images it produces.

I'm sure the Canon will be a great lens too. Sorry Canon you came too late to the game for me, I've been making money with my SIGMA for months now. Although it does look like SIGMA made you keep your price competitive considering yours has IS.



https://www.instagram.com/p/BYZLhsxAtu-/?taken-by=cphoto1954






SIGMA 85 Art @1.4







SIGMA 85 Art @1.4




Sep 14, 2017 at 06:34 PM
yauyi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


Here's the 85 1.4 IS AF speed test comparing to 1.8 and 1.2L II:

https://youtu.be/LXxgA8KglDQ


I was expecting similar speed to the 100L 2.8 IS macro, but based on the test above it looks like the new 1.4 is even a fraction quicker than the speedy 1.8? I'm impressed!



Sep 15, 2017 at 04:50 PM
mb126
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Canon EF 85/1.4L IS, TS-E 50/2.8, 90/2.8L & 135/4L Macro


^^ Holy hell that thing rips. The 85A is a phenomenal lens but I will gladly sacrifice the last 2-5% in IQ for the other benefits here. It's truly a wonderful time to be an 85mm shooter!


Sep 15, 2017 at 05:29 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password