New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Fine Art

eeneryma
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fine Art

Your comments and critiques are welcome.

Steve

Fine Art

Aug 29, 2017 at 02:34 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fine Art

Great shot Steve! Very nice image and the subject caught my attention as well. Not sure if it's a mother and daughter but I'm assuming it is and it makes me interested in the discussion they could be having.

I like the contrast in the scene and the overall composition. The only changes I would probably make are to get the floorboards horizontal, crop the door frame on the right out, and clone out the bright white rectangle on the right above the baseboard. If you don't have any extra room to rotate the image you might run into an issue with the items on the bench getting too close to the edge. Then again, you only need more of the blue bench and content aware fill in PS might give you some of that. I might tone down the statue on the right as well, but only slightly.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fine Art

solarishead wrote:
Great shot Steve! Very nice image and the subject caught my attention as well. Not sure if it's a mother and daughter but I'm assuming it is and it makes me interested in the discussion they could be having.

I like the contrast in the scene and the overall composition. The only changes I would probably make are to get the floorboards horizontal, crop the door frame on the right out, and clone out the bright white rectangle on the right above the baseboard. If you don't have any extra room to rotate the image you might run into an
...Show more

Thanks for all of your suggestions SH. I rotated the frame slightly, but as far as making the floor boards horizontal, I was afraid if I did so it would distort the aspect ratios of the paintings. So I chose to leave this alone. Good call about adjusting the highlights on the statue and cloning out the white socket on the wall.

It is a mother and daughter on the bench. It was actually a family of 5, 2 parents and 3 daughters. The other two girls were younger, uninterested by the art as you might expect, and were running around the gallery.. As for the mother and daughter, they sat there quietly talking for some time. It's possible their conversation may have had something to do with a school project. as I noticed the daughter has a pad in her lap.

In retrospect, I wonder if there was any discussion going on about the nudity in the paintings, and how a parent might be explaining that to her child.

Steve

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fine Art

Very engaging shot. I think you could make it even better by cloning the magazines on the floor and the white object on the wall lower right.

Aug 29, 2017 at 05:22 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fine Art

ben egbert wrote:
Very engaging shot. I think you could make it even better by cloning the magazines on the floor and the white object on the wall lower right.

Thanks Ben and appreciate your suggestions.

Steve

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fine Art

Nice capture of the moment.

A few tweaks to remove a few detractors ... and to alter the mood a bit differently.

"The use of the chiaroscuro technique is a well known trait of Baroque art. This technique refers to the interplay between light and dark and is often used in paintings of dimly lit scenes to produce a very high-contrast, dramatic atmosphere."

Just seemed fitting to take the image in that direction. I envision the discussion being about how the lights & darks of the works interplay and how the museum lighting is arranged to accentuate that aspect of the works.

Of course, the discussion is probably more about "Mom, what does it mean when a boy ... "

As always, S&P to taste ... your pic, your message, your call.

https://www.boundless.com/art-history/textbooks/boundless-art-history-textbook/the-baroque-period-27/the-baroque-period-169/defining-the-baroque-period-635-11017/

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:35 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fine Art

RustyBug wrote:
Nice capture of the moment.

A few tweaks to remove a few detractors ... and to alter the mood a bit differently.

Just seemed fitting to take the image in that direction. I envision the discussion being about how the lights & darks of the works interplay and how the museum lighting is arranged to accentuate that aspect of the works.

Of course, the discussion is probably more about "Mom, what does it mean when a boy ... "

As always, S&P to taste ... your pic, your message, your call.

https://www.boundless.com/art-history/textbooks/boundless-art-history-textbook/the-baroque-period-27/the-baroque-period-169/defining-the-baroque-period-635-11017/

Beautiful work Kent! Looking over your PP shoulder is always a learning experience.

Steve

Aug 30, 2017 at 02:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fine Art

Thanks Steve ... mostly, I just try to put myself in a place, and try to imagine what it would be like to be there. Then the tweaks just kinda start going this way and that till I get it to (hopefully) say what I'm trying to convey. Sometimes it goes better than others ... sometimes, not so much.

But, first I have to decide what it is I'm trying to convey. Imo, the desired message to convey is the driver for the direction of the PP ... much like it is relevant as the driver for the capture.

BTW, this is a very fine capture, imo. It would be something I would consider for competition potential as it contains so many connecting attributes within it.

And for the mono inclined ...

Aug 30, 2017 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fine Art

Nice one, Steve! I agree with what everyone has said and put a hasty rework together just to "see" the differences.

Love the interaction and the colors in play - maroon and gold are brilliant. The mono also works well and might actually put more focus on the mom/daughter and allow the paintings to play second fiddle.

Jeff

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:16 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fine Art

beavens wrote:
Nice one, Steve! I agree with what everyone has said and put a hasty rework together just to "see" the differences.

Love the interaction and the colors in play - maroon and gold are brilliant. The mono also works well and might actually put more focus on the mom/daughter and allow the paintings to play second fiddle.

Jeff

Hey Jeff and thanks for your comments and adjustments.

Steve

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:49 PM
KCook0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fine Art

Sorry guys, I prefer Steve's original to all the edits. It may not be flawless, but that does enhance its authenticity.

oldgrump

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fine Art

KCook0 wrote:
Sorry guys, I prefer Steve's original to all the edits. It may not be flawless, but that does enhance its authenticity.

oldgrump

I can certainly appreciate the "purity" of this ... kinda goes along with my perspective of yore that Ansel Adams was a "cheater" with his darkroom work too. Nothing to be "sorry" about, as the sooc still captures the essence of the moment. Imo, there will always be a fuzzy line between corrections of capture and liberties of creation. When and were to draw that line remains a perpetual decision.

Aug 31, 2017 at 07:17 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fine Art

RustyBug wrote:
I can certainly appreciate the "purity" of this ... kinda goes along with my perspective of yore that Ansel Adams was a "cheater" with his darkroom work too. Nothing to be "sorry" about, as the sooc still captures the essence of the moment. Imo, there will always be a fuzzy line between corrections of capture and liberties of creation. When and were to draw that line remains a perpetual decision.

Actually "purity" was not my intent at all. If anything I have disdain for the concept of purity. My thinking was that if this was a movie shoot, the director would have added those elements/grunge to make his scene more believable. Sorry I was not clear.

mumbles

Aug 31, 2017 at 05:22 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fine Art

KCook0 wrote:
Actually "purity" was not my intent at all. If anything I have disdain for the concept of purity. My thinking was that if this was a movie shoot, the director would have added those elements/grunge to make his scene more believable. Sorry I was not clear.

mumbles

I guess it all boils down to the shooter's intended message.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2017 at 06:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fine Art

KCook0 wrote:

mumbles

Gotcha ... too formally structured. I musta had a different conversation on my brain still.

Sep 01, 2017 at 01:03 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fine Art

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha ... too formally structured. I musta had a different conversation on my brain still.

No problemo. There is more than one angle to the purity label.

Kelly

Sep 01, 2017 at 07:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password