New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

when i first ordered my sirui gear, only place was through amazon via the distributor. no reviews were available, and i took a chance. If there were reviews available, i sucked at google

that was over 3 years ago. I still recommend this company, ESPECIALLY for what i paid for this gear. I think the legs were $120 and the head was $150? for the money, i think it is still the best value for the low to mid level budget minded folks..

Back then, i was in the mindset that spending the extra $300 on an equivalent RRS ballhead (BH-40 I think) wouldn't make my photos $300 better - same went with the legs. Again, i have never had top of the line "support" gear. Manfrotto was the highest quality stuff i had, and the 055xproB legs are seriously BOMBPROOF, albeit heavy - but certainly not anywhere near top of the line.

fast forward to today, and if i had to do it over, i probably would bite the bullet and get what i REALLY wanted, with no compromise. A fool buys twice, right? or something like that. The reason i say this is because i have almost lost shots due to compromise. And honestly i probably did lose shots due to compromise. Tripod legs don't tighten easily, or they don't stay tight. The hex nut loosens ALL the time. This did happen on my Bogen, but it was seriously abused. The legs loosen and just flap around after a while.

The tripod head isn't liquid smooth as i imagine the RRS products are. Gets annoying after a lot of use.
These things you don't realize until you put a product through their paces.

Just wanted to share my real world experience with folks wanting some info. I was just out at the grand canyon and cursed more than once

With this said, Sirui makes a great product. I think for the price, they are THE BEST on the market. Now if RRS made non carbon fiber legs, i would make the switch.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Thanks for your long-use experience with Sirui. I've wondered how they might hold up.

Why would you switch to non-fiber legs if RRS made them? Weight and price differences from other manufacturers don't seem to be that great, and carbon fiber absorbs vibration better than metal legs and can be torsionally stiffer. I wouldn't dream of going back to non-fiber legs even for lower cost.

RRS heads are great, though, and hold up very well.

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

the main reasons would be price. I just looked again at their website, and they only offer a small aluminum tripod (table top). oh and the model i got isn't carbon fiber. When i was at the grand canyon this past week, i saw quite a few people with sirui gear, and lot son CF models - so perhaps they have changed some of these gripes i have?

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:41 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I've been shooting with my Feisol tripod for over 5 years and it has not ever let me down. There were times when it was extremely windy, but I add weight to the tripod and it stabilizes nicely. I really doubt if a tripod costing 2x to 3x as much would have produced any different results for me. If or when I look for another tripod, Feisol will be my first choice.

Dustin, like you I've used a Manfrotto 055 tripod with a huge Kirk head for years. Best cheap tripod made that was built like a tank...and weighed like one. I still cannot imagine how I lugged that setup along with a Pentax 6x7 system through the Rockies...ahhh to be young once again.

Aug 29, 2017 at 04:43 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Love my Sirui monopod and tilt head!

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:37 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I had a Siriu travel tripod -- the super tiny T-025X. I sold it recently because it was just too tiny (but that's not the fault of the tripod). You can't make something that small and expect it to be "rock solid". Quality-wise, and for the money, it was good kit.

I'm waiting for a new Feisol CT-3441T to arrive later this week. It's replacing a FotoPro T-63C, which is actually a really good tripod despite coming from an obscure Chinese company. I'm selling it only because it's a bit too big.

In the meantime while I wait I had to dust off my old Manfrotto #74 (so old I can't even find a picture of it on the Internet). Now that's a beast! I used to carry it on a special backpack frame that held the tripod, and a huge box with my Wisner Technical Field view camera and all its supplies. Nowadays I can barely carry the monster tripod... Sure can't beat it for stability though.

FYI, I bought an Oben monopod last year and have been extremely pleased with that brand too.

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:44 PM
Mar73
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Thanks for the report. I've had a Sirui on my wish list for a while now.

Sep 01, 2017 at 04:55 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I love my Sirui K-30x ballhead that i have been using every clear night the last 3 years!
In fact, i plan to buy a K-40x for my second tripod this year.

Sep 01, 2017 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ontime
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

My 1 piece of Sirui gear is the T-025X. I honestly don't think there's anything on the market like it. It's the best tripod I've taken into the backcountry - so small and lightweight, yet still usable.

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:42 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I have a Gitzo tripod and Kirk ball head each of which must be going on 8 years old. Despite looking well used they both still perform well. I would like an RRS though!

Sep 02, 2017 at 02:07 AM
ijm5012

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I own two Sirui tripods (T-024X and T-1204XL) as well as three ballheads (G-10X, K-10X, K-20X) and haven't been disappointed in using them over the past 2 years. I've traveled with them internationally, shot multi-minute long-exposures, used them in sub-zero conditions, and they worked great for me, and continue to work great for me.

Sep 03, 2017 at 11:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

We live in a world of relativisms.
I have and use my TVC-33 purchased in 2009 (making that 8 years old) with my BH-55 purchased in 2004 (making that 13 years old) and both are still going strong.

now my TQC14 is just a hair over 5 years old this year along with the BH30 head. converted it over to a TFC14 these days. my most used tripod these days

my TVC-24 was purchased used about 4 years ago. so truthfully I don't know its real age. I do know it is the original version as I am aware of the changes that have been made. the BH40 head I've had is the youngest in the livery being only 4 years old as of this writing.

yes, one will hope there will be great longevity for the prices paid. so far so good. especially since I haven't come across anything better manufactured or usable.

Sep 04, 2017 at 12:18 AM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Sirui is a great mid-tier brand. They are well designed and seem like a quality set of legs for a reasonable cost. Sirui and Feisol are my two favorites in that mid range category. Neither is quite up to Gitzo or RRS standards but I think both are better designed products than Induro or Benro.

I have had the excellent Sirui 025x for over four years. Super small, sturdy for it's size. I removed the center column and now have nice small legs that give you about 36" of height to use.

A perfect tripod for those true ultralight backpacking trips. Works great for mirrorless or small DSLRs. Too lightweight for big f/2.8 zooms or cameras with a battery grip. You would need a bigger model for that.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:04 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

I've been looking for a light weight tripod for travel since the airline lost my beater tripod.
For nearly the same weight (and a little extra cost) it seems the Feisol CT-3342 is much better for stability. Anyone make comparisons and decide still on the sirui instead?
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct-3342-rapid.html

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:53 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

Timeless advice
I can save you at least US$700: just buy the right stuff the first time.
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I have been lucky that the first tripod I ever bought was a Gitzo systemic tripod, in mint condition, for under $300 from a local rich dude who seemed to be looking to get rid of it. Since then I have been bouncing between the series 3 (rock solid but heavy) and series 1 (light but flimsy), always bought used at somewhat attractive prices.

Recenly, while looking for something in the middle I decided to take a flier on a Benro TMA27C (the Gitzo series 2 are just too close to the series 3 in terms of weight and size to be a useful compromise). I must say that I have been extremely pleasantly surprised, to the point where the Gitzos have been staying home for the past 6 months. You can get a TMA27C for around $300 and it is an excellent piece of equipment that will not cost anyone shots.

dgdg wrote:
I've been looking for a light weight tripod for travel since the airline lost my beater tripod.
For nearly the same weight (and a little extra cost) it seems the Feisol CT-3342 is much better for stability. Anyone make comparisons and decide still on the sirui instead?
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct-3342-rapid.html

Maybe my data is old by now, ~6-7 years ago I bought a Feisol and would not buy one again. Paper thin carbon legs, flimsy locks, disappointing all around. Sold off pretty qyickly at a steep loss.

Sep 09, 2017 at 03:09 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3+ years now with Sirui gear...

My trusty Feiaol 3372, Tamron 70-300 and D500 on a pier 40 feet out on Lake Michigan with 40 MPH winds. The lake was just getting wound up and waves were only a couple or 3 feet. Nonetheless my tripod and shoes were soaked from water coming up through the grating. This shot is of my old workplace, now ISPAT Steel. The pier is in Whiting. (http://www.whitingindiana.com/)

The old money machine

NIKON D500    190mm    f/5.3    1/2500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password