FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

In Praise of CompactFlash

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In Praise of CompactFlash

With the D850 ditching CF in favor of XQD, it looks like the days of CF might be numbered. I was thinking about it today, and it really is remarkable how long CF has been used. In terms of tech lifespan, CF has had a longer run for media/data storage than anything else I can think of except for CD's (and it could be argued that it has beat CD because at first CD's were just for music, had a period for data storage, and are now almost exclusively back to music). At this point, CF has been around for 23 years. And honestly, even though the new XQD (which is a terrible name) is faster, CF is still completely viable and only going away because the newer is faster.

CF cards are so freaking durable...God knows how many I have had washed and dried that were left in a pair of pants, and they never missed a beat. One of the things I dislike about the D750 is relying on SD cards, because they start to physically break and fall apart on me. I have never used the XQD cards, so I do not know how durable they are, so I suppose I will see.

It might seem silly to care, but it feels a little sad to see it go. I still have 8MB CF cards that I stumble across from time to time....I had CF cards for demos on my job when I was still exclusively shooting film. I would love to see a breakthrough that lets CF cards get faster and still be the preferred media type, but we will see.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:55 PM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In Praise of CompactFlash

1DX shooter here, my CFs aren't going anywhere.

Fast CF cards still move data at 150 mb/s and if we are being honest... how often is that a limiting factor for people?

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:16 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In Praise of CompactFlash

It's a double-edged sword, here. True, I've had SD cards split but I've also had seconds put CF's in sloppy and bend pins.

I prefer CFs when they're just for back-up and never move from their seated position.

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In Praise of CompactFlash

Love me some CF card.
Not a fan of SD cards. Seem to be very easy to lose track.

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:56 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In Praise of CompactFlash

First CF card I had was 96 Mb. Better heeled friend bought 128 Mb at the same time But I couldn't afford the $400 odd they cost and we did look around for the best deal.

I have left CF cards in my pocket an been in the surf, washed and ironed the pants and Mrs pulled the card out that was so hot you couldn't hold it. Worked perfectly and I continued to use it without problem. Didn't loose a single pic either.

Already had a bunch of SD cards fall apart and break. Had the little tabs fall out which means the camera won't write to them. that caused a lot of Grief on a shoot till I figured the problem.

The world is obsessed with small and fast over Durable and reliable these days. Shits me to tears. So what if a card takes a minute or 5 longer to download. For 99% of uses it's irrelevant. If you need rapid download there are other options available. Don't make the rules to suit the exceptions I say.

Biggest problem I have had with CF cards is with shit readers that don't properly engage the card to ensure alignment to the pins. Friend of mine went through about 20 name brand readers on one job. As he pointed out to the Manufacturer who accused him and his guys of rough handling when he returned them, The same people were loading the same cards into the camera's and we had not one single failure or bent pins in camera's, EVER!

Also had problems with SD Jamming and bending the contacts which seem to wipe the pins rather than engage them. The SD system seems much less positive than the CF engagement.

I like the size of the CF cards much better. Don't feel like it is something so small and fiddly it's bound to be lost. More substantial construction over the flimsy SD cards also makes them feel more durable which practice has borne out.

Never broken or had a CF fall apart. Can't say the same for SD's of which I have had several disintegrate now.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In Praise of CompactFlash

I had a smartmedia (I think that was what they were called) card fail on me years back, though that was a chip failure. Bigger than an SD card so easier to handle, but also a thinnish fragile build.

Then got a DSLR and was relieved to move to CF as they are large enough to hold easily, non bendy, not prone to splitting apart. I have had numerous CF cards and never had a single one fail, just got phased out due to card capacity moving on and becoming more affordable. Never had a bent pin issue. Never had a speed issue asl the cameras were less fast pushing out data than the cards were at receiving it.

I have SD cards in pads, netbooks, my laptop. My housemate has them in a compact camera and a few other things. They are a complete pain in the backside. I avoid moving them out of the equipment, which makes thier use to me quite limited. It seems if you handle them more than a few times, however carefully (I am not known for breaking gear - it tends to wear out or get superseded) they soon split into 2 halves as the manufacturing join/seam is always too weak.

I have used various makes of SD and they are all weak and feeble physically, all prone to the same splitting in half.

I dread being forced into using SD instead of CF as I like to change cards frequently in a camera as an insurance policy and prefer to download via a card reader, so my cards get handled a fair bit and they also often get swapped between camera bodies. If I have to do that with SD I will soon just have a pile of 'bits' of physically failed cards.

I do not find speed a problem with CF.

I wish if they must insist on trying to dump CF, that they would redesign SD cards into something thicker than a bit of paper... You can tell the idiots designing the things never expect them to ever be moved once installed in a bit of gear, which is absurd.

Even the mounting of the SDs in equipment is a pain - I now have to tape over the SD card slots in pads and laptops as at the slightest accidental pressure the cards spring out, drop out onto floors, corners of bags, then the splitting risk increases as other stuff bumps them while they are unprotected out of the slots.

SDs are good for phones where they are totally enclosed and almost never touched once installed and there is no 'sprung' slot, but that is all the design is good for in practical end user terms.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In Praise of CompactFlash

I've never tried it, but how fast are wifi transfer speeds from the camera to your HD?

I'm assuming we're about a generation away from never even removing the card from your camera. Just buy a 256GB card and transfer files over wifi.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In Praise of CompactFlash

There have been rumblings of CF being stopped for a decade now. And with Lexar pulling out of the market, there has been talk of replacing both XQD and CF and CFast with CFexpress.
Given the number of devices with variants on those I cannot see this happening within another 10 years and even then I would expect a fair degree of warning. Think of all those hacked off CaNikon people who find their 2-year old camera becomes unsaleable because discontinuation of the cards is announced.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In Praise of CompactFlash

Why dont fatty fingers just buy a bunch of 32gb metal sd cards and swap them out like crazy?

Or try braking these https://petapixel.com/2014/10/16/delkin-debuts-worlds-rugged-sd-cards-virtually-unbreakable/

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:04 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In Praise of CompactFlash

joelconner wrote:
CF cards are so freaking durable...God knows how many I have had washed and dried that were left in a pair of pants, and they never missed a beat. One of the things I dislike about the D750 is relying on SD cards, because they start to physically break and fall apart on me. I have never used the XQD cards, so I do not know how durable they are, so I suppose I will see.

Very durable on the same level or better than CF cards. No pins to get bent. I used the XQD cards on the D4 when it came out. I actually like XQD cards better than CF except for the price.

joelconner wrote:
It might seem silly to care, but it feels a little sad to see it go. I still have 8MB CF cards that I stumble across from time to time....I had CF cards for demos on my job when I was still exclusively shooting film. I would love to see a breakthrough that lets CF cards get faster and still be the preferred media type, but we will see.

I still have some 256mb cards laying around here. Can't throw them away, they were too freaking expensive.

I really hate the route that Nikon has taken with their two card implementation on the D4, D4s, D5 and now the D850. It should be either two SD or two XQD and allow the buyer to choose which they want. One SD and one XQD is a stupid set-up.

Aug 29, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In Praise of CompactFlash

MRomine wrote:
I really hate the route that Nikon has taken with their two card implementation on the D4, D4s, D5 and now the D850. It should be either two SD or two XQD and allow the buyer to choose which they want. One SD and one XQD is a stupid set-up.

The D5 is either or and let's the buyer choose. They have a CF body and an XQD body. Both slots the same, depending on which version you buy.

Aug 30, 2017 at 07:35 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · In Praise of CompactFlash

Jason Ferber wrote:
The D5 is either or and let's the buyer choose. They have a CF body and an XQD body. Both slots the same, depending on which version you buy.

I know, so why didn't they offer that with the D850?

Aug 30, 2017 at 07:36 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · In Praise of CompactFlash

If you're not recording high bitrate 4K video, you simply don't need anything faster than the 160MB/s that compact flash is capable of. I'm happy to keep using my affordable CF cards for the foreseeable future.

Aug 31, 2017 at 04:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · In Praise of CompactFlash

Good riddance to CF cards and CF card readers. I replace CF readers on an ongoing basis as when on pin gets bent the reader is toast.

The SD memory card is a much better design and I have readers incorporated in all my laptops and even in my tower computer.

Having a D500 and D810 meant needing 3 sets of memory cards with 3 different card readers for the two cameras. Stupid configuration on Nikon's part wit the D810.

If you take a look at the used D5 cameras on the market, the majority of them are ones with the dual CF card slots and they are selling at a discounted price as compared to the cameras with the XQD slots.

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:46 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · In Praise of CompactFlash

SD cards are dangerous.

I put one in my D700 a couple of weeks ago and it bent a bunch of pins.

Brian fart resulted in a pricey repair bill.

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · In Praise of CompactFlash

My post is in praise of SD cards. Ever since I moved to mirror-less cameras few years ago I am so glad to get rid of all my bulky CF cards. All hail SDs/XQD, not to mention they are cheaper to manufacture. But what is the next stop? Micro-SDs?

Bending pins? Imo, it is just as (un)likely to happen with CF or SD cards...

Sep 09, 2017 at 04:22 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password