New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Zoey

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zoey

I was at my grandson's 5th birthday party this weekend and so was this cutie.

I'm looking for all C&C, and I'm considering giving a print to the mom, but would really appreciate any suggestions on post processing etc. as well.

Diane

Zoey

Canon EOS-1D X    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/2.2    1/250s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:34 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zoey

Now those are what I call spirited eyes! Wow!
Not even knowing this child, I would dare guess she is way beyond her years intellectually.

Without sounding too crazy, ok just a little, I think those eyes have seen this world before. If you know what I mean.

This is a fantastic shot! Maybe some clean up work on the BG? I wish I could offer better critique but others here are much more equipped than I when it comes to portraitures.

Dave

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:17 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zoey

Lighthound - This little girl always captures my attention every time I see her. YES, her eyes... and everything about her makes me pay attention.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully I will get ideas on what to do with the processing and background.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:24 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zoey

SUPER cute kid!!

This will definitely be a keeper with those eyes and that face. Looks a bit underexposed to me, though. I've got a quick rework with a slightly tighter crop and a boost to exposure/contrast with a little tweak to Levels (mainly moving white point and midtone contrast).

You might want to address the split lighting that you've got (cool from the left, warm from the right) and tweak one or the other for some continuity.

Nice one, Diane!

Jeff

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zoey

You have a real keeper her of this super cute girl. I like Jeff's rework.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kevin T
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zoey

I see the split in the background too that might be advantageous to enhance the dual personalities of our little ones!

I was thinking about cloning some of the dark like this.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zoey

When they are this cute ... hard to go wrong, no matter what you do. That, and mom will like it no matter what.

That said, here's a supersat to illustrate what Jeff is talking about. It looks like you've got cool window light on the left, and warm incandescent light on the right. Notice the cyanic sclera in her (camera) left eye, and the cyanic & red sclera in her right eye. This is a very telling tale of two lights of different colors and where the source lighting is coming from and reaching to.

The supersat really helps to reveal how / where the different colors are separate vs. mixing / blending.

It looks like a bit of desaturation (global / selective / gradient) can be used to pull back the diff's somewhat. I left a kiss of yellow "kicker" on her hair, but it can be reduced to match the rest as well. Could use more refinement, but hopefully you get the gist.

Aug 28, 2017 at 06:23 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zoey

Post processing alternative to consider:

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zoey

beautiful!
What about cropping from the top, cutting off just a bit of her hair to eliminate the brighter BG areas on top and the dark, V shaped area pointing to the top of her head?
Scott

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:27 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zoey

WOW everyone!!!!! So many good ideas for how to improve this image.

Jeff - I had totally forgotten about the lighting issues in that room. Once you mentioned the dual lighting I can't stop seeing it. I definitely like the tighter crop. I've been working on not over cropping lately as that's my tendency. Thank you for you rework!

Rusty - Yes she is facing a large window that had the blinds closed and it was a rainy overcast day. there was also sliders off to her right. Her left has incandescent wall scones and terrible yellow/beige walls. Thank you for your explanation of how to see lighting better.

Ben - Thank you for you kind words. I appreciate it.

Kevin - Yes indeed our little ones do have dual personalities!! Thanks for your idea to enhance it.

AuntiPode - I love how you've got her to pop right off the screen. Thank you for showing us all how you have worked it!

Scott - I hadn't thought of that either!

Such great ideas...all of them!!! Thank you one and all for giving of your time and sharing your talents. There are many more people who read these replies and hang back in silence learning from them. I know that I am one most of the time!

Diane

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password