Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2017 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on...

GradyBaby
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Just asking!

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:04 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

They are already out, which isn't too surprising given the spec sheet and comparably low price:

(Translated):

August 28, 2017

Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Nikon products.

We have received quite a lot of reservations for the Nikon digital single lens reflex camera "D850" planned to be released on Friday, September 8, 2017. Therefore, We may get time to deliver the product.

We deeply apologize for causing serious inconveniences to the concerned parties, including customers waiting for products awaited.

Some customers who have already made reservations may not be able to deliver on the day of release date. In addition, it will be delivered to customers who will reserve it in the future, so it may take time to deliver the item.
We will make every effort to deliver it as soon as possible so we appreciate your understanding.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Yep, on Niko Rumors today:
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/28/nikon-apologises-for-not-being-able-to-fulfill-all-d850-pre-orders-on-september-8th.aspx/

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

I'm not on the pre-order list, but I would prefer that they to take the time to get it right. I haven't worn out my D810 yet, so I'm sure a couple extra months to obtain a D850 wouldn't kill me. I mean, not having a D850 hasn't stopped me from getting photos up to this point in my life.

Who knows - maybe the price will come down a bit once the newness wears off. It always does, sooner or later, though that is usually after I buy it!

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

eaglewolf wrote:
Who knows - maybe the price will come down a bit once the newness wears off. It always does, sooner or later, though that is usually after I buy it!

Well, if you buy right, from a reputable company, they will credit you the price difference if there's a change within your return window. Or, even free accessories if any are offered. And generally, as it gets close to the holiday season that return window is extended into February...

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

It usually takes 30 days or more to get enough units in the pipeline for resellers to be able to ship on current orders. Overall Nikon is moving faster than it has in the past and no doubt sees this as a real money making opportunity.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Good sign for Nikon!

It seems I pre-ordered about 20 minutes after B&H put up the link so I'm optimistic I'm in the first batch. But I'm also still half-convinced I'd rather have a D760.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Nikon could probably get most of them filled if it weren't for customers buying two or three of them at a time when they probably only need one. Of course I don't speak for everybody but if you already have a Nikon D810 like I do then, you're only going to need one D850. I kind a wish they would limit one per person during release and then if you need another one, wait a few months and get your second one. Sound logical?

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:03 PM
STS_IV

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

I pre-ordered around 3:00 in morning the day of the announcement from B&H, ordered one unit, have not sold my d800 yet. The only reason I can think of, that people would order more than one at this stage is to resell on E-bay for a profit. This feels a little like the D800 introduction.

Damn I hope it is as good as it sounds

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:34 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Todd wrote:
Nikon could probably get most of them filled if it weren't for customers buying two or three of them at a time when they probably only need one. Of course I don't speak for everybody but if you already have a Nikon D810 like I do then, you're only going to need one D850. I kind a wish they would limit one per person during release and then if you need another one, wait a few months and get your second one. Sound logical?

YES and it would prevent the ebay greedy from over charging or at least slow them down

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

STS_IV wrote:
I pre-ordered around 3:00 in morning the day of the announcement from B&H, ordered one unit, have not sold my d800 yet. The only reason I can think of, that people would order more than one at this stage is to resell on E-bay for a profit. This feels a little like the D800 introduction.

Damn I hope it is as good as it sounds

I think it's more likely that people ordered from multiple dealers to make sure they get one from the initial batch, in case some dealers get a larger allocation than others.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Todd wrote:

A..... no.
I know quite a few Nikon shooter ordering multiple, depending on there business needs.
These are wedding shooters.

So we generally by 2 bodies. Some more if they have multiple shooters under there name.

But I do understand eBay hawks who buy cameras never to use but to markup and resale because of hot demand.
Not sure how to curtails these individuals.

-mark

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:04 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

I remember when the 18-200mm vr1 was the hottest thing going. It's price climbed to over $900 for a while...

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:03 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Ziffl3 wrote:
But I do understand eBay hawks who buy cameras never to use but to markup and resale because of hot demand.
Not sure how to curtails these individuals.

Pretty simple... don't buy from them.

Aug 28, 2017 at 07:07 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Todd wrote:
Nikon could probably get most of them filled if it weren't for customers buying two or three of them at a time when they probably only need one.

If you are a full time wedding photographer, best to have TWO of the exact same camera. That way you don't fumble around with buttons or diving in the menus trying to change something, and end up missing shots. (Or worse, screwing up shots.) If something happens to one camera, you just pick up the second and not even have to think about it. There will be plenty of cameras--they aren't selling nearly as many as they were just five years ago.

Kent in SD

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

generally, if you sell a camera of this value on ebay, you would have to sell it for hundreds over list, to break even after ebay fees and PayPal fees, insurance, etc. NOT worth it at all.

so perhaps folks who would sell a body like this soon after launch, got the body at a discount, making it a little easier to make a decent profit.

most folks buying two are probably pros coming from D800 or D810 with close to shot shutters. makes sense to me, getting two. why not.

NPS members will gobble up most of the first batch for sure. And store VIP customers/friends etc.

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Yeah as I mentioned, I can't speak for everyone. I know business folks need what they need, I'm talking about those people who want two but don't necessarily need two. You know, those with the "I don't care if you don't get yours, as long as I get mine" attitude. And the scalpers as someone mentioned. There are a lot of selfish people out there, I'm talking about those people. I have ordered mine, but only one. I'll use my D810 as a backup or let my wife use it. I'm not in a big hurry, but I am excited.

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

@todd
same. I will check it out and determine if I want a second one or not.
I dual wield all the time.
I will be using the D850 along with a D750 or D810.

for now I have three ff bodies
2 D750
1 D810
but will be giving one D750 to an assistant, when I get the D850.
so I'll be sitting with three ff bodies, d750 d810 d850, I will probably sell the D810, now that my assistant finally will have her own ff.

by mid october, I will get another d850 or decide to wait for the D760. at that point I'll sell my d750. when all the folks order the d760 and flood the market with the d750 -wow going to be a hell of a buy, used at around $1000. Just think how much more camera that is than a 5D mark II, which used to sell at $1500 when the mark III came out.

The AF system, buffer, touch screen, all important. 46 MP is not. So the smaller and lighter (and cheaper) D760 may appeal to me.

Edited on Aug 29, 2017 at 09:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Cool! I don't shoot weddings anymore, I found them to be too much of a hassle. I am focusing my attention on senior and portrait photography using strobes and natural light. I will also do bridal portraits, just not the wedding. Landscape and astrophotography are my "hobby" things to shoot. The D850 should do great for long exposure astrophotography. Can't wait to test it. Can't wat to do some portrait work with it also.

Is there a D760 coming out? Or does it already exist?

Todd

Dj R wrote:
@todd@@
same. I will check it out and determine if I want a second one or not.
I do dual wield all the time.
I may consider using the D850 along with a D750 for a bit and eventually get the D760 as my OTHER body.
not sure. we shall see!

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How many of you think that Nikon will be able to fill D850 Pre Orders on Sept 7th?

Todd wrote:
Yeah as I mentioned, I can't speak for everyone. I know business folks need what they need, I'm talking about those people who want two but don't necessarily need two..

I suspect the number of people who would blow $6,500 on a superfluous camera will be quite small. These things will hardly be rare--Nikon will be pumping them out as fast as they can. You'd be better off waiting a few months to get one anyway, to see if there are any bugs. And remember--just three short years ago the D810 was released and there was the same initial buzz. You can now get one for half what they were selling for.

Kent in SD

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.