New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

A new member, Kressouille, PM'd me (presumably because I wrote the Techart PRO FAQ) about a serious issue he's encountered with his TAP. He was reluctant to start a thread about the problem because he would not be able to reply until he has posted 25 times.

In addition to the loose screw issue and the wobble that are described at the beginning of the FAQ, he is faced with an even more serious problem: the wobble has become more extreme and now he cannot remove the TAP from his A7RII. In other words, when he presses the lens release button and turns the TAP counter-clockwise, the TAP will not move.

He is able to remove lenses from the TAP but cannot remove the TAP from the A7RII body. Until this problem occurred, he was using the Summicron-M 50mm v4, an older Summilux-M 35mm, and an APO-Telyt-M 135mm (the latter by supporting the lens and allowing the TAP to move the camera body forward and backward).

I have created this new thread rather than posting to the Techart PRO FAQ thread because it's not clear whether the problem lies with the TAP or the A7RII. Hopefully, any FM members who might have encountered "stuck" lenses on Sony A7 series cameras can offer advice as to whether or not they were able to solve the problem without sending their camera in for repair.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM
bjornthun
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

New members /are/ able to reply to threads, otherwise they would have to start 25 threads first. There's the "Quick Reply Box", Reply button and Quote button. I think the "Quick Reply Box" at the bottom of the page is what a new member needs to use. Maybe Fred could chime in here.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

bjornthun wrote:
New members /are/ able to reply to threads, otherwise they would have to start 25 threads first. There's the "Quick Reply Box", Reply button and Quote button. I think the "Quick Reply Box" at the bottom of the page is what a new member needs to use. Maybe Fred could chime in here.

Thanks for the clarification. The site FAQ doesn't mention this limitation (or, if it does, I couldn't find it). I guess it's best to leave the thread now it's been started.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

It would be better if Kressouille chimed in and gave us more details.
For instance, this adapter, when new, was easy to mount into the camera or was it already a very tight fit ?. We know that the mount of the second series of A7 cameras is somehow thicker than the first generation and many vendors in Ebay write clearly that their adapters for NEX, A7 and A7r aren't compatible with A7S2, A7RII, A7II. Personally I use all my older rings bought for my NEX in my A7rII without problems but maybe the Techart Pro is a bit thicker.
If it fitted effortlessly in the camera all the time until it became stuck all of a sudden, then it could be that the retaining pin in the camera's mount it's stuck into the corresponding slot of the adapter and won't pull back when you depress the release button on the camera. Seems an unlikely possibility but we never know. A still rarer option: the inside mechanism coupling the lens release button and the retaining pin is broken. Last but non least, one or more bayonet prongs of the Techart are a bit bent or deformed and are blocking any rotation of the adapter.
Anyway, it ain't easy to tell from here. Have you tried to pull -carefully- outwards the adapter while trying to unscrew it ?.

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Kressouille

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Hi everyone ! I don't know which button I used, but anyway, I'm in the Quick Reply box and writting a message. Hope it will be send.

First, thanks Genji for the help.

Then, some clarifications for artur5:

- this adapter, when I bought it (~ 1 year ago), worked fine and fitted normally on my A7R2 (it also fitted with the A7R but not properly functionning but it is not made for it)
- among the 3 possibilities you mention, I understand that for the 2 first ones, the body is to be blamed, not the adapter. The body is still under warranty so when I get back home in France (I'm in Tokyo now for the week), I could get back to the shop where I bought the body.
- for the 3rd possibility, the adapter is to be blamed, and then there is no really solution but "breaking" (dismounting as far as I can) the adapter itself to try to remove it. Because I don't think Techart will do anything about it (and they are too far away anyway). But when I try to turn the adapter to remove it, it stops not progressively but clearly there is something that is jammed that blocks the movement (i can feel it clearly stops, and this would be compatible with the first 2 solutions).

When I get back to France, I can have a first estimation from an expert in a repair shop. Then may be I will know if this is the body or the adapter.

Thanks, and I'll keep you informed unless meanwhile, someone finds a solution.

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Kressouille

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

artur5 wrote:
Have you tried to pull -carefully- outwards the adapter while trying to unscrew it ?.

I just tried, but I don't know if there is a specific direction when outwarding the adapter (I guess , in the opposite direction of where is the release button). Nothing happen, but I didn't try more strongly !

The other problem is that it wobbles very very badly (the gap is about 3 mm at the top of the adapter and I can see two pins !).

And coincidentally, the wobbles really get worst yesterday, and it is only yesterday that the adapter is stucked (because I also use my FE zeiss lenses, so the adapter is removed every day). This would also mean that the problem could come from the adapter itself ...

Aug 28, 2017 at 04:26 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

My bet is on the adapter too. More so if the wobble has gone as bad as 3mm. Possibly thereís a slightly bent bayonet prong or perhaps a loose screw at the rear of the adapter protrudes a bit and blocks any rotation. Sorry, I donít own a Techart Pro and Iím only guessing. People with direct experience will be able to help you better.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Kressouille

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

The problem is that i can not remilmber if there is any screw / pin that could get out from this side of the adapter ŗnd the rotation, or if the surface ring is completely smooth and stay smooth. Yes may be some one you has the adapter could check, it may help a lot.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

I just Googled the Techart Pro, and looked on "Images", there are lots of pics of the camera side of its mount, like this one, which may be a help: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71QtOm5RqQL._SL1500_.jpg

I really feel for you, it's a horrible situation. I had similar with a lens-on-adapter jam. I managed to get a 4 thou" "feeler gauge" in between the mounts to find exactly where it was jammed, i.e. where the feeler wouldn't pass.
I had hoped the gauge would push the loose screw back where it should be. It didn't, but at least I was able to identify exactly where the problem was.

However, if you try that, go very gently, as feeler gauges are made of a very hard "spring steel" that easily marks the softer mounts, especially the Camera one.

Aug 30, 2017 at 01:55 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Crappy cell phone pic, but I just checked the contact assembly/baffle screws on my TAP.

The one pictured on the right (on the bottom of the mount), and is barely recessed compared to the other two on the same rim of the mount. The left screw needed to be tightened a bit, and the right one tightens a little, but just spins, the resistance doesn't increase to the point you'd naturally stop, and it doesn't bottom out.

If it doesn't fully tighten, or recess further, I'm wondering if that might have come loose from the contact assembly. It's literally got about 1/3 of the clearance that the other screw has. I think it would take relatively little pressure on the contact assembly for it to loosen, if the fitment I noted were common.

Aug 30, 2017 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Viramati
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

I should imagine that one of the 4 screws on the adapter mount has come loose and is jamming against lens mount and if this is the case it could be almost impossible to remove without in some way disassembling the whole adapter unit in some sort of reverse fashion. Maybe you should try to contact Teacart and see what they suggest

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Kressouille

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Thanks timballic, bluloo and Viramati for your help.

Back to home now. I will contact Techart to see if they have any solution.
I also think this issue is coming from on of these screws. The problem is how to dismount the whole adapter ? I just would like to get my A7RII back for use (with or without this adapter)

I will contact Techart today and put the link of this thread to see if they can help.

I'll inform you on their answer. Stay tuned

Sep 04, 2017 at 09:12 AM
Kressouille

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Hi everyone

I've contacted Techart. Kevin gave me the solution, and it worked !. Here it is :
"I am suspecting that it may be because of the loose of the connecting pins of the adapter. Could you please try below method and see if it helps?

Try to put the camers+adapter upside down (with the monitor of the camera facing the sky). And try to gently pad the camera and adapter so that the connecting pins (which may have mistakenly protrude), will return back the original position. And try to remove the adapter while holding this position.
"

Finally, when I removed the TAP, there were 3 screws that got unscrewed ! I screw them back, and the wobble disappeared. Then I really encourage the Techart Pro owners to always have a screwdriver on your bag when using this TAP. And if there is a sign of wobble, to check all the screw before it get stuk to the body.
It is too bad the TAP jammed when I was just doing photo 11 000 km from home !

Thanks to everyone for your support !

Sep 04, 2017 at 07:46 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Glad you got it sorted!

Which screws came loose?

Sep 04, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Kressouille

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

3 of the 4 screws that assemble the steel bayonnet to the adapter (fortunately not the ones in radial direction that you see on your picture, because i guess it would have been more difficult in this situation to put the screws back in their initial position).

I've taken a picture, but cannot post it (say it is for buyer or seller)

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:41 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Sounds like it's time for a little Loctite for all TAP owners...

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Kressouille

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Yes, I thought about that, but I am afraid that depending on the weather (if humid in warm), one may find some Loctite deposit on the sensor ......

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:12 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Kressouille wrote:
Yes, I thought about that, but I am afraid that depending on the weather (if humid in warm), one may find some Loctite deposit on the sensor ......

We had a discussion about this exact issue in one of the other TAP threads and the consensus was better not to for exactly the reason you mentioned. I'm going to adopt your idea of carrying a small screwdriver instead. (Also, very glad to hear that you got a quick response from the Techart people and were able to solve the problem.)

Sep 05, 2017 at 11:22 AM
erekose

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

Just to make sure I understood correctly, Kressouille ... screwing back those screws also removed the wobble altogether? May this simple act be a solution to the problem lamented in the dedicated TAP thread? Does your adapter now feel "like new"?

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:04 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help! Techart PRO is jammed on A7RII body

So very pleased for you, and so simple.
I'm amazed that simply tapping the adapter/camera upside down, could cause the offending screw(s) to "fall back into place"!

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password