Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Clothing: What to Wear?

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clothing: What to Wear?

Hi. Specifically relating to handheld macro work - stalking critters - have you found wearing camo makes a difference?

I know when hunting we wear camo and never ever wash our clothes - in fact with new clothes we do several warm and colds washes without detergents and their U.V. brighteners to get rid of any residual chemicals.

So what are your thoughts when it comes to attire - a simple olive green shirt? Scrim?

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:38 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clothing: What to Wear?

Never found it necessary.
Just move slowly towards subjects, do not block their light and try not to exhale in their direction.
Brian V.

Aug 28, 2017 at 05:41 AM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clothing: What to Wear?

Good advice from Brian.

Worst thing you can do is have your shadow cross the subject: 7x out of 10 they'll flee if you do.

I don't use camo, but I do prefer hiking wearing innocuous colors. These are my favorite hiking shirts (you can get at Bass Pro Shop):

Short Sleeve:
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-nylon-angler-short-sleeve-shirts-for-men

Long Sleeve:
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-nylon-angler-long-sleeve-shirt-for-men

The color I prefer is second-from the left (top link), leftmost (bottom link).

These shirts are very thin/light, yet tough ... as well as being breathable. The drab, neutral color that I happen to like doesn't 'stand out' while you're hiking. The breast pockets store small bug containers, remote shutter release, etc.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clothing: What to Wear?

I usually wear a white shirt, because that is my normal daily choice. It has the advantage of reflecting some light into shadows. I prefer the ones with a breast pocket, just right for a spare flash and/or lens cap.

Brian's point about moving towards the subject is very valid. Sideways movement near the subject is more likely to startle them. Also, downward movments are natural (falling leaves, etc.) but upward ones can cause alarm..

Fiddling with the camera close to the subject is to be avoided e.g. manual focus.

The insects which appear to be more aware can be habituated to your presence. As you have posed no actual threat, they may come to tolerate you.

Harold

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:48 AM
hayath
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clothing: What to Wear?

e6filmuser wrote:
The insects which appear to be more aware can be habituated to your presence. As you have posed no actual threat, they may come to tolerate you.

Jumping spider, Mantids can become very comfortable once they settle in and acknowledge your presence.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password