Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

I saw a guy with a Lee kit that had graduated ND and others that he could attach to his lenses and he could use any of his lenses regardless of 72/77/82mm.

What products are out there that make sense to purchase?

Thanks

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:32 AM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

To me, it only makes sense to use those holders with graduated ND filters. Otherwise they get clumsy and slow you down. I've gone the opposite way regarding filters. (I mostly only use polarizers or solid ND.) I try to buy only lenses that take 67mm or 77mm filters.

Kent in SD

Aug 28, 2017 at 02:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

my lee filter holder kit for sale:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1487769/0#14017189 SOLD

my 2 Singh-Ray 2 and 3 stop GND for sale:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504937/0#14150670

Edited on Aug 28, 2017 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2017 at 03:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

Two23 wrote:
To me, it only makes sense to use those holders with graduated ND filters. Otherwise they get clumsy and slow you down. I've gone the opposite way regarding filters. (I mostly only use polarizers or solid ND.) I try to buy only lenses that take 67mm or 77mm filters.

Kent in SD

I also use solid ND filters too. I but my largest size (82mm) and then step down (rings) to my other sizes. I don't find I really need a hood and if I do, because i'm usually on a tripod when using them, I use small foldable shade to block

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

I use B+W and Zeiss CP and ND filters at 49mm, 58mm, 72mm, 77mm, and 82mm, with a variety of step-up rings for intermediate lens filter sizes. I also have a number of Kodak Wratten ND filters cut to size, to fit behind the 77mm and 82mm filters, when I need a lot of dark. I also have a 4x4 Lee filter system for off-the-wall stuff, like IR and B&W colour filters, but it doesn't get much use. I don't use graduated ND filters, as I rarely shoot a flat horizon; I prefer to bracket exposure and combine in PP.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

i used to use filters way back in the day, but have done alright with out them the last 3 years or so, but i had a 14-24 that didn't take filters cheaply.

Now that i sold that lens and have a few zeiss lenses that take filters, the two types of filters i will get are a polarizer and maybe an ND filter. Breakthrough filters are supposed to be the best on the market. I have had B+W and at the time i think those were the best.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Filters (neutral density/graduated, etc.)

I have a 14-24 and I really never thought of using filters with it to begin with. it is my one sorta specialized chunk of glass with somewhat limited overall use.

things become the norm and are accepted as "standards". the minute another thing challenges that "standard" some things are forced to rethink their position. progress

breakthrough forced the rethinking of some filter products

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password