FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Sony reliable?

artur5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony reliable?

Princeps wrote:
With a sample size of 3 bodies and a ~dozen lenses in both systems, I have not experienced the same reliability or durability as with my Canons (which have been flawless).
RX1: manual focus ring stopped working, this is a widely reported design/encoder part defect and Sony doesn't care to admit/fix it on their flagship compact
A6500: broke after a shock that I think any other camera would have endured, shock was my fault but it breaking under those loads was a grey area... Sony declined to warranty it
SEL 10-18: bought new, worked the first few days at home, but immediately bricked
...Show more
I've owned only a bunch of native Sony E lenses but none failed ever. Concerning Canon glass, I can't say likewise. Out of seven or eight units, three of them failed when they were still quite new. The AF motors of my EF 50/1.4 and EF 85/1.8 broke overnight without warning, No shock or rugged handling at all. Canon technicians told me that it was a common occurrence with these lenses, specially the 50/1.4. My EF 35/2 rolled from the bed to the floor. My fault yes, but it was a barely 50cmtr, fall over a soft carpet. The barrel was deformed and AF stopped working, MF was possible with some difficulty. I didn't bother to repair it. Not worth the cost. That Canon EF 35/2 (older model) is a fine lens optically wise but built like a cheap plastic toy. I realize that these 3 aren't L lenses but, none the less, I was very dissappointed.

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:51 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony reliable?

The bodies feel somewhat cheap but I've never had an issue.

Aug 28, 2017 at 09:54 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony reliable?

tung256 wrote:
i remember Sony was notoriously bad with their stereo system. the company was synonymous with "kill chip." after 1 year, when warranty is over, the stereo would self destruct. off course the Sony denied such chip exists.

It's funny that you mention this. Many years ago, I had a Sony car stereo that failed and my attempts to get it fixed at their sevice center was a disaster. I was ambivalent to buy the A7R2 due to this experience, but I was glad I did because it's a terrific camera. My speculative impression is that Sony recognizes they must provide good service to their photography product users because their competitors (e.g. Canon) are successful, in part, because they provide good service. Some people on this board have had bad experiences dealing with Sony, but I have been treated well by them.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:19 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony reliable?

My experience, which is fairly extensive (a few thousand lenses and cameras) in the US (it will vary geographically)

Sony failure rate compared to Canon/Nikon is slightly higher.
Satisfactory repair rate is about the same for camera bodies, lower for lenses.
Cost of repair is about the same for camera bodies, much higher for lenses.

It is what it is and it's better than it was a couple of years ago.

That being said, the average person who has two cameras and a dozen lenses is unlikely to need a repair in any given year. So my opinion is if it's better gear for what you do, then there's not much choice but to deal with it.

Aug 29, 2017 at 01:02 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony reliable?

The IBIS bodies are more prone to shock related failures (the sensor gets stuck out of position, or the mechanism fails). The lack of any real weather sealing, and some poor design decisions (like the gaping exposed area in the back of the lcd panel, and the hot shoe shorting issue) don't contribute to long term reliability in wet conditions. These issues are on the A7x series bodies, I don't own an A9 but it has IBIS.

Aug 29, 2017 at 06:00 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony reliable?

I've shot Sony consistently since 2010 and while I don't think the bodies or lenses are substantially worse/more prone to failure, I can say my experiences with Sony repair are awful.

I dropped a d750 and 85 1.4. Filter splintered, camera wouldn't AF. Nikon fixed it free with 2 weeks.

Dropped a ZA 24-70 2.8, barrel slightly bent. Precision camera (Sony's repair partner) wouldn't even look at if for under $370 in advance. I explained I had 8k in Sony gear at the time and shot for pay. After some time, the supervisor tried to help me by offering a factory return 24-70 ZA for 1,400. I took it to a local camera shop, they fixed it and painted the dent for $108 in a week.

My rx1 has the famed error 61. Sony won't touch it for under $400. It's a common problem in a very expensive camera. And a month turn around time.

My local shops I've worked with all dislike working with Sony--hard to get parts, etc. The sensors are especially sensitive and hard to clean.

I am hard on my gear--lots of high altitude stuff, switching primes, etc. I'll keep shooting Sony for other reasons and the gear takes abuse well, but when it does break the service is a joke.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony reliable?

Shutter failed in my A7 within about 500 shots. Fixed free and fast. Don't know if that's a good or bad response.

Aug 30, 2017 at 03:58 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony reliable?

I could say that I've been using Sony since the a900, have had six different bodies, done a lot of work with them in high, tough conditions with no failures...but it's all anecdotal so read Roger's post. He is in the best position to advise on this matter.

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:08 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony reliable?

Rx1 can't manual focus anymore after maybe one and half year normal use. It seems a common problem and poor service reputation keep me from sending it for fixing.

Aug 30, 2017 at 05:46 AM
shibutg

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony reliable?

I'm primarily a landscape shooter but occasionally do events and portraits, and was a Canon user for long time (had 6D, 5Diii, 5DSR and 7Dii). In last December I bought the A7Rii and metabones ivT adaptor to try out this system, my intent was to sell Sony if I don't like it, by march I noticed more than 75% of the time I use Sony for landscapes, during this time I added few native lenses for sony. After few months of use I made a comparison between the two systems and was very pleased with Sony's dynamic range, pictures, ISO capability, small size, focus peaking, manual focus assist, articulating screen, and decided to make the switch (sold everything except 7dii and few lenses). I've been using Sony (during this time I added A7S also-primarily for night photography, and quite happy with that) exclusively since then for landscapes and really don't miss the canon.
But for event shooting I really miss canon, its fast focusing, CF card vs SD card (slow write speed on Sony), longer battery life. Anyway, I'm very happy with switch and feels like I should have done this earlier.
Bottom line, Sony great for landscape shooters, event and action not there yet (may be A9, I haven't tried it)

Aug 30, 2017 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

123_Repeater

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony reliable?

I've used my A7s for over 2 years now in demanding conditions in Thailand. It's never let me down and still works. Only issues I've had is

1. Sensor dust
2. The click wheel no longer works so I had to custom button iso for now so didn't bother to fix (I don't shoot fast)
3. The rubber near the battery port is peeling off.

I'm very happy still.

Sep 09, 2017 at 09:09 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony reliable?

I am pretty hard on my gear, and I didn't find my sony cameras to be reliable (I think the last a7rii body I had I put about 60k actuations through it in less than 6 months).

Had a shutter failure on an A7ii body at 10k actuations, one A7rii body (new from B&H) had a persistent "camera error turn on and off" issue that would have required a factory overhaul if B&H hadn't accepted it back. Main A7rii body had the rear rubber grip wear down to the plastic. Consistently would error out when shoot in a light rain because water would get into the front contacts of the hotshoe (fun commercial shoot in icy rain in January in NY!), and they don't take tumbles well (top evf hump deformed pretty badly from a drop). Lastly, sand easily gets into the rear dial, which typically requires opening up the camera to remove it.

If you want reliability, stick with Canon.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:02 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony reliable?

sungphoto wrote:
Consistently would error out when shoot in a light rain because water would get into the front contacts of the hotshoe

I've experienced this twice. Both times camera had to have main board replaced. Also LCD panels on A7s and A7ii have had issues. Part of the display on right hand side blacks out/vertical lines + very sensitive for touch pressure (whiteout).

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony reliable?

Had my A7 since the year it came out, use regularly every one or two weeks in all conditions within reason: dusty environment, seaside shooting, light drizzle etc., no problems at all. I dont baby my equipment, only see them as tools.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:30 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony reliable?

I've had an A7, NEX-5R, and RX100. All have been very reliable. I did have a shutter issue with the NEX-5R that required service, and the experience I had was excellent (story here) - had the camera back in less than two weeks, Sony sent me a loaner for free overnight, and I didn't pay anything for shipping. This was in 2013, though - I understand Sony service has changed again, moving service from in-house back to Precision. YMMV.

My A7 has seen daily use (rare to have a day where it doesn't get some use) and it's been very solid.

I wouldn't use it in a downpour, but I use it in a drizzle or light rain, stashing it in my rain jacket's pocket as needed.

I use it all winter long, often in subzero (F) temperatures. I've shot northern lights in -20 to -40 F at least a dozen times. Cold kills the batteries when < 0 F, but bring three and keep two somewhere warm like your inside pocket and cycle through them.

I had it fly off the roof of my moving car and hit the pavement and roll down the steep road with no ill effect other than some scuffing. Never had that happen and never will again, but I was glad the camera survived unscathed.

I use it for one or two concerts every week in small bars and clubs. I shoot primes and have no issue swapping lenses while bodies and beer are bouncing all around me.

This is true of any camera, but a little common sense care will go a long way.

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:38 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony reliable?

I am a newbie with 3 A9's and two GM lenses-so far. However, consider that with no mirror and the electronic shutter there's no micro AF errors and no mechanical shutter to wear out.

I have shot 1000s of frames but not a single frame with a mechanical shutter. So with less/no moving parts there's less to wear out.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony reliable?

I have had a Nex 3, two Nex 5n's, Nex 6, Nex 7, A6500, A7S, 2 A7R's and 2 A7RII's, and 2 RX1's and 3 RX100's.

I shoot nearly every day and I have never had a camera body failure with Sony. My biggest issue has been internal dust on Rx1.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:17 AM
hanumanbob

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony reliable?

Skip the 6500. Why go to all the trouble with the lenses. I just got a fantastic 28mm FE for just over $300 on ebay. You can get a used a7rii for under $2k. You won't regret it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:28 PM
hanumanbob

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony reliable?

I dropped my a7rii on the sidewalk the day I got it. I thought it was ruined.

It got two big dings on the back metal case but other than that it's been a champ. No problems whatsoever.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony reliable?

Iíd shoot with my Canons in the rain. Same with my Olympus. Wouldnít have done that with my Sony.

Iíd trust Rogerís take when it comes to repairs.

I just donít get why Canon not innovating enough for you makes you want to switch to Sony. My Canon takes great images, just as my Sony did.

I get that Sony is all the rage, but what does that translate to in real life? Isnít that the first question to ask yourself.

To use a car comparison: Tesla innovates like crazy, but I prefer my BMW.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password